“Good food”

Big Mama's Kitchen & Catering
Ranked #173 of 1,368 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: American
Description: Big Mama's Kitchen & Catering is a family-owned and -operated business specializing in soul food and traditional American cuisine. We offer a unique variety of delicious homemade appetizers, entrées, cakes and desserts, but we're best known for our famous oven-fried chicken and our delectable sweet potato pie ice cream! Patricia "Big Mama" Barron acquired her passion for cooking as a child in the kitchen of her beloved Grandmother Lillie. Our catering service originated over thirty years ago as a part-time, home-based business operating out of Big Mama's own home kitchen. But the demand for Big Mama's tasty brand of cooking grew beyond the confines of that room, and in December of 2007 we opened the doors of our full-service restaurant and banquet facility, and we named our business in tribute to that place where it all started.
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

From Louisiana, wanted to experience a "Nebraskan meal". Hard to find place, housed in an old school. The workers were nice,personable, helpful. The waitress was kind, but appeared rushed I guess because we went close to closing time. Had the smothered chicken( first time seeing yellow gravy, must be a northern thing). The food was good, not great, but good. What really won me over was the cranberry iced tea, (simply DELICIOUS)!

There are newer reviews for Big Mama's Kitchen & Catering

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I saw Big Mama's on Food Network when I lived in NYC and vowed to go there next time I came to Omaha. I ended up moving back to Omaha last year and have been a regular ever since. Mama is the real deal with a healthier take on classic soul food without sacrificing flavor! Her chicken is to die for, greens amazing, other side dishes delish and desserts homemade, just as if she's cooking just for you. I went for breakfast today and had red velvet pancakes, beyond fantastic! She has daily specials and is always there to say hello. I admire het strength and determination in making her restaurant a success! Great food and service!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Went with a group of 32. They were ready for us and service was good. Very disappoined in the chicken. Was not good ole southern fried chicken like it was advertised. It was oven fried which makes a big difference. Not crispy. Desert and potatoes were good. Would not go back

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Eighteen ladies and I went to Big Mama'a for lunch the first Wednesday of September. The service was excellent, the food was great---I even took chicken legs home for my husband's supper---and others took home desserts to eat later. The tables and chairs were very home-like.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I travel to Omaha at least twice a year, and each time I'm there, I make it a point to have lunch at Big Mama's, in North Omaha. Big Mama, herself, is supervising the kitchen and visiting with patrons in the front. It's not a fast food joint, so allow plenty of time. While you're waiting for your order of incredible fried chicken, browse the photos and other memorabilia around the restaurant. The portions are large enough to share, so always fun to get a taste of something different. The macaroni'n'cheese has 'comfort food' appeal, whereas the homemade sweet potato ice cream proffers a heavenly new flavor to savor. The last time I was there, I chose to take home a good share of my main selections in order to save room for the pecan pie ice cream. Really a treat for pecan pie lovers! IAny other chicken pales in comparison, and the rest of the menu makes you feel like you're a visitor at someone's Sunday dinner. A fun experience and the best food you'll ever have in a school cafeteria!