“Pricey!”
Review of Henry Doorly Zoo

Henry Doorly Zoo
Ranked #1 of 131 things to do in Omaha
More attraction details
Owner description: This world-class zoo is famous for its involvement with breeding endangered species from around the world.
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We were just there on Sunday with our family of 5. Admission prices don't seem too bad, until you add on any extras. It is $2/person for 1 RT on the tram, or Skyfari. $5 for an all day pass on the train. My husband chose the train as he figured it'd be a relaxing way to enjoy the zoo and it was the all day pass right? Well, they didn't tell us they only had 1 train running, so if you want to spend most of your day waiting in line for it, I wouldn't recommend it. Also, it doesn't give much of a "tour". We saw the houses at the back at the zoo. Woohoo! Wish we hadn't spent the $25 and maybe have done the tram instead as we only did 1 RT and that was enough. Also, the food was ridiculously expensive. $6.25 for a turkey sandwich?!! (No chips or drink with it either) But we were stuck as we were just travelling thru and didn't pack a lunch. We are members of the Denver Zoo and also frequent the Cheyenne Mtn Zoo in Colorado Springs. I love these zoos. Everything is easy to see and closer together. You can do these zoos in 3-4 hrs and they are laid out nicely with great exhibits. We have been to San Diego Zoo as well as other zoos big and small. I grew up in Chicago and frequented Brookfield Zoo and Lincoln Park Zoo so its not that I lack comparisons. In fact, we went back to Brookfield a few yrs ago and I was disappointed as to how "big" and expensive it had become. We are a couple with 3 small kids, so we enjoy zoos. The kids liked it, I guess, but they were ready to go as it was very hot and alot of walking. The Aquarium was nice. Oh yeah, it was $2.95 for a medium drink--Disney does not even charge this much. We love Animal Kingdom, by the way, have been going every year, don't consider it a zoo tho. Just my opinion.

2  Thank BellaBaby
Write a ReviewReviews (4,916)
All reviews
in 57 reviews
"omaha area"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed August 10, 2010

We spent 7.5 hours at the zoo and could have easily spent another hour or two. Henry Doorly Zoo is by far the best zoo I have ever been too. It even beats Disney Animal Kingdom. The zoo itself is very clean and very well laid out. There are several indoor exhibits which is nice in the summer months because it gives you a chance to get out of the heat temporarily. Also, very nice are the tram, train, and Skyline. For long days spent walking in the zoo, they provided a temporary relief and chance to get off your feet and enjoy the surroundings. Zoo admission was $23 for 2 of us which seemed relatively cheap fo rthe experience. Overall, I am very happy I got to experience this zoo.

1  Thank karenmsu97
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We visited the zoo on a Saturday. We arrived shortly after opening and the lines to get in were alarmingly long, but after we got in we really didn't notice the crowd. The zoo is large and has lots of animals and features. I found it somewhat annoying that features like the sky cab, train, and shuttle were not included with your ticket price (visit their website for ticket info). Food and drink prices were also quite high, but fortunately you are able to bring in your own food and drink. We did bring our food and drink, as did many others including some toting rolling coolers with them. Most animal exhibits were good but I was very disappointed in the big cats area- we've been to much smaller zoos with much nicer and larger cat areas. The acquarium was very nice- it's not equal to the Shedd in Chicago, but for a zoo it was nice. There is not much of an exhibit for the sea lions nor are there any shows for them. We visited on a very hot summer day and planned our day for outside items first, then from 12 on we did mostly inside stuff with a few trips to things like the otters. Parking is free but be prepared to walk if you arrive later in the day.

1  Thank readittoday
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Awesome zoo! went 5 times in the 35 days during my stay in Omaha. Still do not think I saw all of the zoo! We did get to ride the Zoofari! It is highly recommended. We did not do the train or tram this year. They offer and all day pass for that now. And the carousel was fun the did raise the price and no longer have to get a token.
We did not use any of the concessions, as we packed our own lunches and drinks.
This was the last year for the college world series so parking should no longer be an issue.

1  Thank jenniferz1974
See more reviews
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Being busy mother and living in the heartland I get the annual pass to the zoo.I say in the end it pays off.It gets a good workout and wears the kids out that is something.I can say out loud.

I have a new baby boy and the bathrooms are in good condition.I just don't like that when it rains or it snows the resterooms are all dirty and the staff sometimes are rude.they should hire older ppl on the stands and not some kid out of high school or in school.

the parking is a pain..if you want to walk than make sure to get a good spot if you go eairly in the morning.

the imax is great and I do like it since,it wraps up the day.

when I get home..there tired and I am tried too.

we love the sharks and swap.

Been to Henry Doorly Zoo? Share your experiences!