“Class act.”
Review of The Grey Plume

The Grey Plume
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grey Plume is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 1,532 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Entrance on Farnam ST, across from Delice and The Afternoon
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I had the opportunity to finally try Grey Plume at a client dinner. Menu is a one page limited options. It is expensive, prices average $30 for main dish, although there is a burger for $16. Our waitress was intimate with the menu. She recommended the cheese & meat starter plate for $21, which served 2-3 people. It had an ample variety of both & is probably the best bargain for the price. Main dish we had three different options, I ordered a chicken dish $23, another ordered lamb chops for $39 and the last the trout for $30. I was a bit disappointed in the portions of my dish, It looked more like a starter than an entree, however the flavors of wonderful. My dinning companions had larger portions to go with the price of their meals. Both seemed pleased with their selection. Dessert we had home made Irish Cream which was fabulous. Service was very good, although I thought it was slow in the drink orders, but not the food. This is also the first time I have been to a restaurant that gave a "parting gift" of a couple of shortbread cookies with the name of the restaurant, address & web site.

Date of visit: February 2014
1  Thank Carol D

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We went for an anniversary celebration. I expected to be blown away from everything I had read and heard about this place. I wanted to love it because of all the hype and the award winning chef. I love that the chef uses locally sourced, farm to table ingredients. Our server was super friendly, maybe even a little too talkative, but the food was almost all very salty. The first bite was a fun way to start off the meal. Then I had the duck (I think) roulade and my partner had the trout. Even the sides were salty. At the sommeliers suggestion, the wine was good, but not memorable. Of course it was expensive, but we knew that going in. I'm sad to say, we won't be back.

Date of visit: July 2013
1  Thank Lisa h
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The food is creative and exquisite. The service was wonderful. I quizzed her a lot on the dishes and she didn't mind. The atmosphere was lovely, and the music was so nice. They make many of their own ingredients from the butter and cheese to tonic. Most or much of the food is locally sourced. The big difference is the creativity -- stuff no one would put together. Really stunning.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Unlike other restaurants which rely heavily upon their newness to the scene, this place has serious staying power. Our first visit was several years ago the night they opened, and it just keeps getting better each time. The regional delicacies are outstanding, but be ready for a letdown if you fall in love with one of them. Chances are you will have to wait until it is back in season. Chef Chapman is a visionary, and this establishment is a real prize for Omaha.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Where do I start? I took my date to The Grey Plume because someone at the place next door told us it was good. We grabbed a seat at the bar and watched the kitchen staff create artwork! What a great time. We had the rabbit and the grouper and both were unbelievable but the highlight was yet to come. My date wanted the creme brulee for dessert but they had run out right before us. Chef Clayton - who owns the place - stopped by and my date told him she really wanted the creme brulee and was disappointed it was gone. She then asked him just to go back in the kitchen and create a dessert for us. He just said, "I can do that". A few minutes later he returned himself with a dessert that blew our hair back! He also said if we didn't like it, it was on the house. I don't even know what it was but it was fantastic. It had more flavors in it than we could identify. It was a custard, it was a cookie, it was ice creamy, it was cotton candy, it was unbelievable. Now that is service. We are here to stay! I always love a place owned by the chef, but this place is the best.