“Shades of Grey Indeed at the Plume”
Review of The Grey Plume

The Grey Plume
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grey Plume is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 1,377 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Entrance on Farnam ST, across from Delice and The Afternoon
Reviewed November 16, 2012

After reading reviews of this restaurant and hearing some great things, a coworker and I ventured to The Grey Plume this week for happy hour and were hoping for dinner to follow. After little attention from the bartender, a strange complimentary starter, and 2 bland appetizers.... we ventured elesewhere.

I am sad to report that The Grey Plume was just too flavorless and the service was too with spotty service in an empty restaurant. And the constant hovering of staff to see the expressions on your face as you try to enjoy your meal was very uncomfortable, not to mention the "Is it fabulous, ladies?" type comments when we entirely unimpressed.

I watched one of our appetizers ready to serve as it sat idle, getting cold in the kitchen while we were the only patrons in the bar and only one onther dining table was occupied. Finally I just had to ask that they bring it out.

A doughnut in duckfat tasted no more interesting than a doughnut from Krispy Kreme. A strange gnocchi appetizer (strange in that it was presented like an entree as 5-6 pieces over a puree).The result was a very bland cheese stuffed pasta over something similar to the flavor and texture of baby food.

I am sad to say it was just too bland for me and the service was pretty lack-luster as well.

4  Thank travelsnob18

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Welcoming environment, innovative seasonal menu, and amazingly complex fresh flavors. Staff was attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable - from Chef's starter to ice cream finish. An exceptionally delightful experience. A must next time we're in Omaha.

1  Thank Shadyacres13
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I dined here for a business dinner and had a great meal with awesome service. The chef met us at the door and was really friendly. Duck fat fries and bison burger = YUM

1  Thank omatraveldog
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Grey Plume offers a different dining experience when all modern fine dining restaurants seem so similar. It's farm fresh theme comes through in every aspect of the experience. The bread offered with homemade butter is worth the trip alone. Each dish tastes fresh and balanced. The preparations of each meat item offers variety - the lamb came prepared with two chops and leg meat, with each cooked to perfection. The pork was presented in three ways with each cut offering a substantial different taste. The wine list was admirable with good variety. The wines by the glass are great quality and not the typical large manufactured vintages. The menu is flexible and they encourage moving sides around and creating new appetizers.

There were some problems - our salads oddly came out with key ingredients simply left out of it (apples and bacon which complimented the vinaigrette). The problem was corrected very quickly with an apology. Our table was right next to the service station and felt a bit in the way. I don't want to sound cheap, but I felt it was a bit over priced. My lamb was $38, but as I said came with two chops and very small leg meat serving. While flavor is good, it seemed a bit excessive. The meet was seasoned and cooked perfect but it really needed some type of sauce, though balanced, it was a bit flat. However, the meal as a whole was solid and I don't mind paying $150.00 for a nice dinner out with my wife.

Overall, I loved the menu and perhaps expected to have my socks knocked off. Just didn't happen. However, I thoroughly enjoyed something different and will visit it again.

1  Thank Travelinglawyer
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We traveled to Omaha on business, and made our restaurant selection by consulting TripAdvisor. While in town, we wanted to take our local Omaha hosts out for a nice dinner to get to know them better, and show our appreciation for their hospitality. Our choice of the Grey Plume was a huge hit from the moment they received the invitation, they told us we could expect a great experience, and they were absolutely right.
Chef/Owner Clayton Chapman has created a real gem in Omaha, where there are so many restaurants to choose from. Anticipating that our party was a business dinner, upon arrival we were escorted to a little "nook" that provided just the right amount of privacy and ambiance for our dinner. Our waiter was fantastic, knowledgeable and sincerely interested in our choices. After the first sips of wine, we were surprised by an amuse-bouche brought to the table by Chef Clayton himself. It was a delicate savory cream puff, so delicious! Our party all ordered the green salad which included pecans, crisp bacon and a surprise "bacon powder" dusting the top. The effect was delightful and one of our diners remarked that she could see herself sprinkling bacon powder on popcorn and many other treats. Collectively we ordered lamb, beef, chicken and pasta and all were universally superb. We were so sated that we skipped desert, however the choices, including a variety of house-made ice creams, were definitely tempting. But our sweet tooth would not be neglected, upon departure we each received homemade butter cookies with an note from Chef Chapman saying: " Please enjoy this pastry in the morning, it was made fresh today with you in mind". I followed his advice, and can attest that the cookies were buttery, flaky and the perfect way to start the morning. If you go to Omaha - you simply MUST visit the Grey Plume!

1  Thank Jill C