“Outstanding Rib Eye”
Review of 801 Chophouse

801 Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
801 Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,383 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 14th and Farnam
Description: 801 Chophouse at the Paxton is inspired by the classic 1920's New York Chophouse. 801 Chophouse Omaha's masculine interior is highlighted with dark woods, marble and granite accents, brass fixtures, dual pane frosted glass and white linens. 801 Chophouse showcases only U.S.D.A. Prime Grade beef and jet-fresh seafood. The bar offers an array of world class wines, single malt scotches, crafty cocktails and after dinner cognacs. As our guest, you will be given 801 Chophouse top notch professional service. Reserve one of the four Private dining rooms, seating eight to forty guests, to host your next soiree.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

One of the finer Rib Eye's i've ever eaten! Excellent service, strong wine list and very good sides which are proportioned for two people.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I travelled from Iowa city where I was staying for business just to eat in this steak restaurant and hang around in Omaha old town. It was amazing experience and was definitely worth going all this 250 miles. The fillet mignon was so soft cooked in the light burgundy sauce and deliciously accompanied with crab cake and mushrooms. I was driving so I took a Nebraskan hefeweizen beer to drink. Try local grown potatoes baked with blue cheese as a side dish. It was delicious. Atmosphere was Midwestern classic and the stuff very very friendly.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

801 Chophouse is hands-down THE best experience I have had at a steak restaurant. Anywhere. In the past I have dined at Ruth Chris, Mortons, Manny's...you name it. 801 Chophouse is doing something right.

Before I get started, it's necessary to say that I ate at this restaurant this past summer (while I ate meat), I have now been a vegetarian for 6 months and can sincerely say that I will likely make a trip to 801 Chophouse to have a steak sometime in the near future.

The good...
As far as appetizers go, I would choose the spinach soufflé, and the scalloped cheesy potatoes. They are both fantastic. However, the spinach soufflé is top-notch and should definitely be the first option among the two.

The oysters are also hard to beat. They have a fresh selection daily, and are likely to have at least three to four varieties to choose from. They are not fishy, and have fantastic texture (with lemon, horseradish, and cocktail sauce to compliment).

As far as the main dishes go, the steaks are (of course) the route to go. Personally, I have found the Porterhouse to be one of their specialties. But their filet was also rich in flavor. I can't attest to their fish dishes, but I would assume that they are also well-prepared.

Additionally, they offer a house-cut specialty (nightly, I believe), and commonly have a bone-in filet option, or T-bone cut.

**Make note, that 801 Chophouse is one of the few places in the area to find Prime grade steaks...many of the so-called "top reviewed" steak restaurants in the area only offer Choice grade steaks...

For wine selection, this place is also excellent. Every waiter I have had has picked found a wine to pair perfectly with our dish.

The verdict: Not to ramble on and on for longer, but this Chophouse is a must if you are in the Omaha area. Nothing but good things to say. The servers have always been helpful and sociable, the GM was helpful and friendly, and most importantly the overall atmosphere was hard to beat.

Great place for business meetings/outings, social night with friends at the bar (yes, they even have a bar), or other special occasion.

1  Thank BrianFriedman11687
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We booked a reservation at this restaurant based on recommendations found on trip advisor, and I was not disappointed. The atmosphere is beautiful. The staff could not have been nicer. Often I find upscale service personnel to be stuffy or snobbish. Not here! We were made to feel right at home from the minute the hostess greeted us at the door and took our coats. The service was top notch. Informative, courteous, friendly and warm. Jake made our meal even more enjoyable. About halfway through our entree the power went out in the restaurant. Jake ran right over with a flashlight and then a candle. Luckily we were seated just under an emergency light so there was some light available. It did not interfere with our completing our meal. We had the Sunday three course prix fixe menu. We also each ordered an appetizer. Each course was wonderful and prepared perfectly. The steak just melts in your mouth. My only complaint was with the general manager. The power never came back on by the time we left. A very nice and appropriate gesture would have been for him or her to offer perhaps a complementary drink for our inconvenience. Our bill had to be hand written as the computers of course were down due to no power. They should have at least comped our glasses of wine. Luckily this does not prevent me from giving the restaurant 5 stars. It was great.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Sunday prix fixe dinner a great deal but be careful of the extras Even so this was a great meal Until there was a power outage An underground fire caused an outage for many blocks The servers were very helpful. The only question we left with( having been lucky enough to have our dinner arrive before the outage) was why the management didn't offer a comp or after dinner drink for the patrons who ate by candle light.

Been to 801 Chophouse? Share your experiences!