“Best Tacos Ever”

Cuisines: Mexican
Kissimmee, Florida
“Best Tacos Ever”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I seen this place on the Food Network and was stopping in Omaha. So I had to try it. This was by far the best taco I have ever had. I'm in love! The nachos and potato bites were awesome. They have a little station where you put your own toppings on like onions, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, and 2 different salsas. They have Pepsi products to drink and a full bar area too. You place your order at the counter and they bring it to you when it's ready. Parking is kinda hard in the area. It's just street parking. You have to try it!

• Visited December 2012

Orlando, Florida
“Best Tacos in the Midwest!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The best tacos in the midwest. All of us order one of their specialty tacos. They have a topping bar so you can add black olives, tomatoes, cheese, peppers, hot sauce and many of other toppings to your order. We order a mixture of flour and corn chips and both were excellent and not greasy.

The restaurant is located near the children's hospital and off the beaten path. You place your order at the window and they will deliver your tray to you. The decor is older looking but the place was clean and have plenty of tables.

There is a bar on site but we did not have any drinks.

If you want to be treated like royalty then this is not the place for you. If you are jeans and t-shirt kind of person, then you will feel at home. Good place for friends to gather and have a nice time.

• Visited December 2012
Gilbert, Arizona
“They call it a dive for a reason people”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stopped in here after seeing it on the Divers, Drive-Ins, and Dives website. I guess because of the name and the atmosphere I wasn't expecting this to be an authentic mexican restaurant, which it is not...and it's not trying to be. We each ordered a California taco, mine had chicken and my husband's had grilled fish. You could also get bean, beef, or steak. One taco was PLENTY, so I'm glad I didn't order more. The fried flour shell is filling. I can see why other reviewers might consider it to be bland, but I think lightly seasoned is a better way to describe it. They are not back there adding a packet of Old El Paso High Sodium Seasoning mix. Plus, they have a pretty awesome little condiment bar where you can doctor up your tacos and spice them up anyway you like them. The bar includes...fresh cilantro, raw onions, tomatoes, pico de gallo, jalapenos, black olives and two different types of salsa churning in drink mixers. Who cares what type of noise it makes when it comes out, it's a machine! The stuff in them was good, but I'll warn you the green salsa is spicy. The place was pretty clean considering it was a a dive....we had plenty of clean tables to choose from. The food really is a bargain, so I could see why it was filling up with college students as we left.

• Visited September 2012
Omaha
“Underwhelmed. Needs improvement.”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

At first sight (and based on the location) I was excited to eat at California Tacos. I hadn't been there in over 10 years, since the days when I used to help out at Shelterbelt Theatre located next door. Anyway... California Tacos best feature is it's rustic/college-style atmosphere. The dining room is pretty spacious and has that college-hang-out feel to it. (And this place is popular because of the Creighton students drawn from nearby). Unfortunately the food was very bland and kind of gross. I had ordered some Mexican rice, which comes out smothered with melted cheese on top. Gross, and not something you'd expect. I still attempted to eat some of the cheese on rice, but the cheese was a bland cheddar cheese - nothing appealing about it, and I hated that it was served on my rice. I tried to eat around the cheese, but the rice was also bland, so that did not get eaten. The nachos I ordered were okay, but I would rather have eaten my own basic microwavable nachos that gets thrown together at home. With a group of 5 of us eating together, no one even finished he nachos. I also had a margarita there, which was very average and similar to what you get at Romeo's or Don & Millie's. The most disappointing factor was the salsas! The salsas are served out of Margarita/lemonade containers - and so you don't know how long they've been sitting there. They make a gross noise when they are dispensed from the containers, which automatically makes some people (like me) grossed out to then eat the stuff. I wasn't the only customer who noticed the disgusting slopping noise of the salsa coming out of the containers. To make matters worse, they were the worst salsas I've tasted ever in a restaurant. No flavor, no spice, just very bland. I'd rather have Taco Bell sauce for my food than the salsa at this place. I think this restaurant could turn itself around if it wanted to. This review already sheds some light on a few things that need changed. Where is the flavor? I find it criminal that just because this is a college hang-out doesn't mean to serve Taco-Bell level food (actually not as good as Taco Bell, and I hate saying since I dislike eating at fast food places).

• Visited September 2012
Nokesville, Virginia
“UNIQUE but not good”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Shell for Taco unique more like Nan but nothing special after that....beef tacos arent tasty will not visit again