“I love their weekly specials. I am eager to taste Jesus's fabulous soups with the Fall and Winter seasons approaching.”

Rivera's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #163 of 1,366 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Good Mexican food in West Omaha
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I've enjoyed so many wonderful lunches and dinners I do not know where to begin. What I can tell you is try to arrive early, because Rivera's has become a very popular and wonderful Mexican restaurant because it is authentic. I learned that there is no microwave in their kitchen and everything is cooked fresh. For lunch, I love their tacos and for dinner I love the Carne Asada and Sparky's chicken nachos appetizer. Tracey and her courteous wait staff always makes me feel special and I see how they make their other customers feel special.

There are newer reviews for Rivera's Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Rivera's is one of those Mexican Restaurants from the outside (strip mall) looks like every other average Mexican Restaurant. Once in side you still will be underwhelmed. However once your food is delivered and the fare is sampled you will know that you have hit the jackpot for Mexican food in Omaha. The food is not just taco's and beans but upscale cuisine. The only way I know how to explain it is go try it, you won't be disappointed! If you are looking for intimate it is not, it can get very loud especially in the evening when the Margarita's are flowing.

1  Thank John K
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I love mexican food and have tried them all. By a landslide this is the best around. Great food and friendly service. When I'm jones'en for a mexican food fix this is where I go.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

We have been dining at Rivera's regularly since Jesus and Tracey opened the restaurant, including our most recent during the first weekend in March 2012.

First of all, Rivera's does not serve TexMex food. If you want nachos, burritos and chimichangas, you will be disappointed. If you want a variety of the best enchiladas in Omaha, none of them with traditional TexMex enchilada sauce, Rivera's is your place.

Jesus Rivera makes all of his dishes from scratch using the freshest of ingredients. He has no deep-fat fryer (which is why the chips served are of a lower quality than other restaurants...they are store-bought). His mole sauces are the best in the city, in my opinion. Because Jesus hails from the state of Puebla in Mexico, his dishes and sauces are quite different than what most of us are used to finding in Mexican restaurants in the USA.

The chili rellenos and chilis en Nogada are simply divine, especially the en Nogada (which you can't find at other restaurants in Omaha). The tostada's de Tinga are excellent and better than any I have had at other restaurants.

The service at Rivera's has been and continues to be an area of improvement. Jesus would do well to invest in a busboy. We have experienced the frustration of waiting for a table when four or five tables are empty but not yet cleared because the staff is too busy. We have also experienced the frustration of poorly trained and inexperienced wait staff members. If Jesus had a better staff/service, I think it would alleviate all of the major complaints about Rivera's as well as improving his business.

Yes, the basic rice and beans at Rivera's are pedestrian, but the black beans and white rice are excellent (served with chicken pibil and several other dishes...or available as a side dish).

Yes, the policies on chips/salsa are rather draconian, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little better wording in the menu.

Overall, for us, the food at Rivera's outweighs the service challenges. If Jesus and Tracey could figure out their service problems, this would be one of the best restaurants in Omaha.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

I have done a fair amount of traveling, and had alot of Mexican food (my wifes fav). I challange you to find a better authentic Mexican resturant in the country.