“Large rooms, excellent breakfast, smoky, dated”

Ranked #51 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Polo, MO
“Large rooms, excellent breakfast, smoky, dated”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The room our family stayed in was very spacious. We had a non-smoking suite, but it was situated directly across the hallway from several smoking rooms and the smell in the hall was unbearable. The pool is very small. The breakfast was above average with choices for everyone in the family. While the staff was very friendly we probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank loupelou
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear loupelou,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We appreciate your comments about the hotel. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. We have passed these concerns on to our staff. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Comfort Inn at the Zoo Omaha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I found this hotel when booking on Expedia; it was the “deal of the day” and that should have been my first clue! I reviewed the reviews and found them mostly favorable and we would be arriving late and checking out early so all I was interested in was a CLEAN & SAFE location.

Upon check-in (in the dark) it appeared to be "ok". The hotel is older and needs to be modernized. I booked a double queen room; one bed's sheets were ok and the other had stains (semen). I instantly requested clean sheets and waited 15 minutes and then went to get my own sheets from the front desk. I meet the front desk/housekeeper (plays both rolls) in the hallway and he was bringing me the top sheet, I advised I would need the fitted sheet and told him what I found and his response was "Oh, ok." Seriously!! The second fitted sheet felt like it was freshly laundered (it was warm to the touch), but it too was stained with a dark substance.

We found a large spider in the bathroom light (thank goodness it was inside, but if there is one there is more).

We found breakfast to be very chaotic and they had nearly run out of everything by 8:15. Upon checking out I walked 3/4 of the way around the hotel to find the ice machine and then walked past the breakfast prep area / laundry room / storage room (which is at the end of the hallway from the breakfast dining area). They prep the food in this dark dingy room and then walk the food all the way down the hallway. Gross!!

When I checked out I informed the front desk of my concerns and asked form a discount for the night’s stay, she was not able to do so since I had booked/prepaid with Expedia but called the manager and I was told by her I would receive a certificate for a free stay at another Choice hotel property. She said the manager would be arriving within the hour and would call me on my cell phone. Well, big surprise...no call within the hour or since then!

After spending the previous 4 nights in another Comfort Inn location in Rapid City SD this was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Justin S
Dear Justin,

Thank you for providing us with feedback about your stay. We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We strongly value all guest feedback. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We use guest feedback to make changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests,. Thank you so much for your time.

Comfort Inn at the Zoo Omaha
Milford, Iowa
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My children and I just stayed here and went to the zoo, as well as the Century Link center, the Old Market, and Joslyn art museum. It is very conveinent for a zoo visit and the right price for visits to other places. It is by a BP station and Mcdonalds AND right off the interstate. The room was clean and comfortable, desk staff was pleasant. We didn't sample the pool, but it looked a bit small considering how many kids they must get being so close to the zoo. No matter, it was quite right for us. We really liked the ice cream machine!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Sharon M,

Thank you for telling us your stay with us. We are so happy that you and your family stayed with us. We hope that you all enjoyed your stay in Omaha. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Comfort Inn Omaha at the Zoo
Junction City, Kansas
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was really disappointed with this hotel after being referred there by a friend. The only helpful person I spoke to the entire time with the gentle whose name starts with a C. He was very helpful, but unfortunately was not there when we checked in. The girl at the desk acted as if she had better things to do rather check us in. I assumed there was an elevator which I should have looked for online. When I asked where it was the receptionist rolled her eyes and said they didn't have one. It was hard taking 2 families with 5 kids up the stairs with no elevator. The chlorine in the pool was so strong we had to get the kids out after 30 minutes because the fumes were hurting our eyes and throats. I know the heat made the pool warm up so we decided to go back when it was dark outside, but it was stifling inside the pool area. All this I could stand because the kids had fun, but the next events got me a little upset. My mother stood at the front desk for 30 minutes at 9 p.m for an extra blanket. When someone finally came they told her they'd have to go the utility room to get it. When she said she would wait for one the girl rolled her eyes. The guy behind her in line had been waiting the same amount of time to get the air in his room fixed but was cut off so that the receptionist could tell the gentlemen who walked in the door she would check the work schedule to see if another employee was there. It was very unprofessional. Our air didn't work at first but I finally got it comfortable in the room. The next morning at 9 my key and the same guy with the air problem could not use the keys to get back in from outside. He was irate because he said they never came to fix his air and it was an awful night. When I went to breakfast a lady putting out the danishes was eating while setting the food out. Crumbs were falling everywhere so I stayed clear of them. When I went down to check out she was cleaning off dishes with water and her hand. No soap, no rag, and piling them where we had got our plates earlier that morning. On my final walk through the lobby the dishes remained and my guess is that they were used for the next days breakfast. I hate to sound like this as I have NEVER wrote up a compliant on any hotel that I have stayed in. I travel quite often and it takes a lot to upset me. I was very displeased.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy D
Dear Amy D,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We value all guest feedback at the hotel. It allow us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time.
Sincerely,,
Comfort Inn Omaha at the Zoo
Memphis
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family of 4 (2 boys ages 7 and 8) stayed in this hotel the week of July 4th 2013 for 5 nights. We were in town to visit family, and chose the hotel primarily because of price with the free breakfast and indoor pool (prior years we stayed at the best western Kelly inn - which I strongly recommend).

The hotel layout is very odd. When you walk into the lobby you immediately face the indoor pool. Rather too on display for my taste. To the left is the breakfast area which had a terrible layout and also looks into the indoor pool. The hallway to that wing of the building passes right through the tables and breakfast area which means there is constant bumping into people getting their food and dragging suitcases through. There are not many tables and the hot breakfast is the same everyday (with the eggs and sausage also set up in the hallway). The waffle iron was up too high for my son to reach the handle to close it and he burnt his fingers on it trying to close it.

The beds and the TV were nice enough, but we had a 2nd floor room which had a view straight into a hill and retaining wall. The water pressure in the shower was quite pathetic.

I must admit the location is quite good and it was clean and cheap enough, just the weird layout gave us enough of a headache that we don't expect to stay here again. Also they ran out of parking in the main lot and folks ended up parking on the grass.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank SheilaB01
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear SheilaB01,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. Thank you for all of your comments and concerns. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are very sorry that you were not satisfied. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We value all guest feedback because, it allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our room that we had reserved was given to another guest that had wanted to switch rooms. We had stayed there before and had not problems, it is a good location and small enough with our family to feel comfortable. Our last stay was unacceptable. We reserved a courtyard view, and our room was given to somebody else and they described that "a guest had changed rooms, and it was not put into the computer" so we get our keys to our room and go to unpack the car. They come out tell us that take our keys and give us keys to an outside room looking into a hill of grass. We then complained and we then switched rooms again and ended up on the second floor with a window view of the courtyard. During this time, we received no apologies or compensations for our inconvenience and for the HOTEL'S mistakes. We finally complained enough to get $20 off our room which was an insulting joke. We will never stay there again. As we were not treated with any kind of decent customer service. Mistakes happen yes which is acceptable, but then you get COMPENSATED for your trouble. This trip ruined our loyalty to this hotel and I would not recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Courtyard view if they don't give your reservation to someone else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nebraksa--tg
Paris
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We found this place to be pretty much like the rest of this chain of hotels that we have stayed in the past. It was very convenient . . . . . .seriously . . . .right across the street from the zoo. It is also close to Old Town. There a lots of places to eat nearby.

The breakfast was good. Scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, gravy and biscuits were some of the highlights. It seemed to be well stocked and replenished frequently. There was coffee and tea available 24 hours in the breakfast area. There also was a small pool . . . we did not use it so I cannot comment on it other than seeing it.

The only real complaint that we had was that we found the mattress a little uncomfortable. We were on the second floor and there was no elevator but that really wasn't a huge deal to us. The only other thing was that we continuously noticed the smell of cigarette smoke in the hall even though the rooms were non smoking. Our room, however, did not smell like smoke . . .only the hall. Kind of strange.

The bottom line on this one is that we would stay there again on a return visit.

Room Tip: Pick one on the first floor if you can't do stairs. Again . . .NO ELEVATORS.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank livingthelifeParis
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear livingthelifeParis,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with the mattress in you room also the odor that you smelled in the hall. We are very sorry for these issues and will address them with your housekeeping staff. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We appreciate all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Comfort Inn at the Zoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Omaha
Days Inn & Suites Omaha NE
New Victorian Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29
Hyatt Place Omaha Downtown Old Market
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#64 of 82 in Omaha
Best Western Plus Kelly Inn

Been to Comfort Inn at the Zoo? Share your experiences!