“A light veneer of seediness” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn at the Zoo

Ranked #45 of 83 Hotels in Omaha
Bettendorf
“A light veneer of seediness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have a mixed review of this hotel there were some good points but so many bad ones that I likely wouldn't stay there again. The pro's: Close proximity to the zoo. You can see the dome from the hotel parking lot. The room we stayed in was clean and had a fridge and microwave which was handy. The prices were fairly low compared to other hotels in the area. Our room itself seemed clean.
The front desk staff was always very friendly, and cheerful.

The cons: I noticed there was just a general air of disrepair and what I can only call "seediness", not like a fleebag hotel but there were a lot of things about this place that made it uncomfortable. It was obviously built by the lowest bidder and everything is done on the cheap. You notice this when you walk in and see that the blinds on the windows at the front desk are the paper, disposable kind that builders put up temporarily. They are stained and held up with clothespins. Not a good first impression. The breakfast area is adequate but I noticed again that there was just a bit of filth. For instance, I looked in the server for the hot breakfast foods when we arrived in the afternoon and saw that it had not been cleaned completely from the morning's breakfast. The food had been removed but there were bits of dried egg and grease inside it. The trays themselves had been cleaned but not the container.

When I used the bathroom because our room's toilet was stopped up there was mud all over the floor and what looked like blood on the inside rim of the bowl. I mentioned this to the front desk and the woman expressed surprise and said that she had just used the bathroom and it wasn't dirty when she was in there.

There is no elevator so you have to lug all your luggage up the stairs. Since we couldn't put all of our luggage on a cart and take it up the elevator we had to make several trips, lugging it all up ourselves. I realize that there are only two floors and walking up or down one flight isn't that bad but this is a hotel and people have luggage. Since we intended to stay 4 days, we had a lot of luggage plus snack and drinks, camera bag, laptop cases, etc. that had to be lugged up the stairs in two trips. Not convenient at all.

On the way up the stairs you can see that the hallway is not maintained at all. There was mud all over the tile and the steps hadn't been vaccuumed for a long time. On our third day there I noticed that they had finally made a half hearted attempt to clean up the mud in the side entry but hadn't gotten it all. The stairs were never vaccuumed while we were there.

Our room was at least clean and as I mentioned there was a fairly large fridge, which even had a small freezer compartment which was handy when my kids got pints of gellato at Whole Foods. We were able to put our gel packs from our cooler in there as well, which was nice.

There is also a coffee maker in the room but the coffee in the room is terrible. Not worth making a cup at all. Fortunately I had brought my own individual coffee packets and was able to make a pretty decent cup, They also had one sachet each of plain, black tea and decaf tea.
The toilet lid was cracked. It was very flimsy plastic, very cheap and it looked like someone had put their foot on the toilet lid to dry their legs but the weight of their foot cracked the lid. It was that flimsy, that just putting your foot on it to dry your leg would crack it.
The room itself was clean but very cramped. You couldn't fit two chairs at the table to eat and the chair in the corner was nearly unusable because it was too cramped to get to it.
The room was very dark during the day due to the use of very low wattage flourescent lights. I traveled with two teenaged girls and we were not able to use the mirror in the room to do makeup and hair as it was too dark even with all the lights on. The bathroom was bright enough and we were able to use that mirror but when traveling with three women it's nice to be able to have two seperate places for hair and makeup. During the night though there was too much light for sleeping. The door to the room doesn't fit properly and the door wouldn't close all the way so the light from the hallway that came in and reflected off the full length mirror was too much for sleeping.
The water pressure was very low which meant that showers took a long time and you could get clean but couldn't have a nice, satisfying shower. Of course low water pressure also means that the toilet never flushed completely and we had to have it plunged while we were there.
The beds were OK. Not the most comfortable but not the worst I've ever slept on either.

The pool was filthy. The first day we swam there was a film of grease, body oil and sediment floating on the entire top. It was so cloudly that we could barely see our feet. The third day we were there the kids swam again but I didn't. They said that it looked cleaner. It might have been that there was a problem with the pump as I had noticed someone working on the pump the day before. It seems from other reviews that this is a continuing problem, again probably because it was built on the cheap.

Breakfast was OK as well. I've had better and I've had worse. There was scrambled eggs which were obviously made from powdered egg mix, small sausages, biscuits, gravy, cereal, instant oatmeal, toast, juice, coffee, yogurt, fresh fruit and waffles. The first day we were there, they ran out of waffle mix and another day they ran out of coffee. There were two surly looking women in hotel uniforms who stood by the breakfast area glaring at people, (one had scary, black studs in her face) but not doing anything to refill items that got used up. I had to go to the front desk twice to ask to have things refilled.

The walls in the room are extremely thin and you can hear every door slam, every baby crying and every conversation in the next room. One night we listened to a baby cry for hours and hours and the next night we listened to an argument in the next room. Later in the same room it sounded like furniture was being moved or things being thrown while children were laughing. I'm not opposed to the sound of children's laughter but when it's late at night and I'm trying to sleep and it's accompanied by the sound of things being thrown, I'm not a big fan.
The doors in this hotel also are very heavy and SLAM loudly all day and all night long. Maybe a sign in the hallway asking guests to be considerate and close the doors quietly would be helpful. This is probably more a reflection of the guests themselves though.
There should also be a sign in the pool area stating that children under a certain age need to have close, adult supervision and that throwing items such as dive sticks is prohibited when the pool is full. My kids were using the pool and had to leave because there were a lot of kids in the pool throwing dive sticks as their parents looked on. One of the sticks hit my daughter in the lip and she ended up with a fat lip. I told the front desk staff about it and they offered ice, which I was able to obtain myself from the machine. When I went to the desk to complain, the parents weren't even in the pool area with the kids and there were fairly young kids.
Because of all the problems we decided to check out a day early. I informed the front desk why we were checking out early and she smiled brightly and said, "well have a happy St. Patrick's day". Very friendly but not willing to do anything about the problems.
One more thought, a sign on the road, directing travelers to the hotel would be very helpful. You can see the hotel from the road but the side road to get to it is hidden. It's not apparent that you have to take the road to the McDonald's to get to the hotel. Even our GPS goofed up and had us go up a block out of the way and then come back. We figured it out through trial and error though.

Overall, if you're just going for a night or two and don't mind the dirt in the halls and can sleep with light in your face, (probably about the same amount of light as a nigt light), and noise then this would likely be fine since the price is reasonable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Albert Lea, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located off the interstate.We arrived late as we were traveling from out of state and the roads were horrible. When we arrived just after midnight they had people out shoveling sidewalks and plowing the parking lot making it easier to get around. We were checked in quickly and treated kindly. The room was clean and had a microwave and mini frig which was really nice. It also had a nice flat screen TV. The beds and pillows were satisfactory. My only complaint about the room was that the shower had little water pressure and the tub has sagged so much it was like standing in a bowl. The breakfast was beyond the typical continental breakfast with a large choice of both hot and cold options. The pool was still not open as the heater was out and had to drive to their sister hotel and share a pool with their guests which was inconvenient and their sister hotel has a hot tub but the jets didn't work and the water was so hot my feet were bright red after only 15 minutes. Overall I would stay at this hotel again and if you plan a trip to the zoo it is super convenient as you can see it from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Betty F,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you for telling us your concerns about the bathroom and the pool not working while you were there. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better. Thank you to you and your family for staying with us. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Noise from kids running and jumping kept us awake until after midnight and started at 7 am again. Beds were normal hotel beds but not uncomfortable. Breakfast was better than normal for hotels. Small pool but looked clean. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from noisy kids if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were very pleased with the size and accommodations of the room.The kids were disappointed that the heater was broken in the pool, but one of the staff members Larissa was so kind she said that we were able to go to their sister hotel for the kids to swim. And it wasn't that far away. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear June A,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We hope you and your family enjoyed your time in Omaha. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We are very sorry that our pool was down while you were there. We hope that you were not inconvenienced at all. Thank you so much for providing us with this feedback. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Wamego, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Was satisfied with hotel .We stayed in a suite and was very big and nice and clean . Breakfast was good and staff was friendly . Kids were excited to go swimming that evening , pool looked nice but either the just filled the pool or heater wasn't functioning . Bet it was about 60 degrees . Overall we enjoyed are stay .

• Stayed March 2013
Dear whearty,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed the suite that you stayed in. Thank you for telling us about the pool not functioning correctly. We did end up having issues with the heater, but is now taken care of. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We use guest feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you and future guests to the hotel. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Vermillion, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

This is a newer facility so it's clean and well kept. Very nice room, good value, beds nice but not exceptional. A nice variety of offerings on the breakfast buffet. The only thing lacking was appropriate sound proofing between rooms. One really should not be able to hear their neighbor's snoring.

• Stayed February 2013
Aurora, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on Jan. 10, 2013 following a visit to the VA Center in Omaha, which is about 2 miles away. Our room at the Comfort Inn was huge, with a mini-kitchen, and sofa sleeper. Would great for families visiting Henry Doorley Zoo, which can be seen from the hotel. There is a exercise room, and a nice pool, which wasn't operational right now. The TV in our room was very nice, with lots of channels. The breakfas the next morning was excellent, with man hot options, as well as the usual cold things. Easy access off of Interstate. Will definitely stay here again. There is a McDonald's and Jimmy John's within walking distance.
Room was a bit pricey.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovesfortrob
Comfort_Inn_Zoo, General Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our property. We believe that we offer one of the strongest values in town, combining boutique quality service, comfortable rooms, hot breakfast buffet, and a location that can't be beat. We did close our pool temporarily for refreshing this January in preparation for the busy summer period - we made our sister hotel's pool available just minutes away for our guests, so I hope you were able to get your laps in!

When you come back to Omaha, please contact our staff directly to make a reservation - we do have a wide-range of negotiated rates and discounts available, and I am sure we can something that will work with any budget.

Ryan McCabe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Omaha
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#14 of 24 in Council Bluffs
3.5 of 5 stars 103 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn at the Zoo? Share your experiences!