“An American Emgineering Wonder.”
Review of Grand Coulee Dam

Grand Coulee Dam
Book In Advance
More Info
$811.04*
and up
Private Overnight Tour of Grand Coulee Dam and Dry Falls
More attraction details
Owner description: The dam has a fantastic nightly laser light show during the summer.
Alexandria, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An American Emgineering Wonder.”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The displays and explanations of the need, research, design, construction, and utilization of the Grand Coulee resources is a central theme of the reclamation of central Washington lands, and the development of the Northwest as a financial powerhouse for the United States. Unfortunately, 21st Century security slightly dampens the total experience.

1 Thank MikeInMtVernon

Washington state
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Excellent work of engineering”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were there visiting over October 5-7 and some of the damn is closed/or rerouted due to construction for the next couple of months. We were a little disappointed we could not see as much. We will try again on anther trip.

Visited October 2012
Vancouver, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“Disappointing, especially when compared to Hoover Dam”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was excited to stop and visit Grand Coulee as part of my extended trip through the PNW and Rockies, but was sorely disappointed. Although I'm a big fan of engineering marvels, architecture, and great scenery, I found the dam and surrounding area to be generally uninspiring and just sort of blah.

A few years ago, I made a similar journey through Nevada and Arizona, and my visit to the Hoover Dam on that trip was one of its absolute highlights. I loved the setting, the iconic design, the layout of the visitor center, and my tour. I was expecting a similar experience at Grand Coulee, but just found it to be depressing instead.

The Dam itself is nowhere near as beautiful as the Hoover Dam and its dramatic canyon, and it just looks like a huge slab of concrete across the Columbia. The visitor center is smallish, and the tale it tells is nowhere near is interesting or inspiring as its cousin further south. You have to take a bus to access the tour, whereas everything is smoothly and tightly arranged at the Hoover Dam.

Unless you are particularly interested in engineering, happen to be travelling through the area, or can't think of anything else you'd rather do, I wouldn't bother making a big detour or special trip to visit this attraction.

Hoover Dam made for a much, much nicer visit.

3 Thank Snowkarver
Rhyl, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Amazing feat of engineering and amazing scenery”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The road trip from Seattle to the Dam was breathtaking, loads of lakes and rugged mountains.
We didn't get to go into the Dam although you can, as we were short on time, but it is well worth a visit.

2 Thank gonzocbr
Sumas, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Must See!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have never seen a dam up close before. This one is spectacular!! We got a tour of one of the sections that houses12 huge turbines. We also saw the laser show at night which was fabulous!

2 Thank Alma24