“Excellent work of engineering”
Review of Grand Coulee Dam

Grand Coulee Dam
More attraction details
Owner description: The dam has a fantastic nightly laser light show during the summer.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were there visiting over October 5-7 and some of the damn is closed/or rerouted due to construction for the next couple of months. We were a little disappointed we could not see as much. We will try again on anther trip.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was excited to stop and visit Grand Coulee as part of my extended trip through the PNW and Rockies, but was sorely disappointed. Although I'm a big fan of engineering marvels, architecture, and great scenery, I found the dam and surrounding area to be generally uninspiring and just sort of blah.

A few years ago, I made a similar journey through Nevada and Arizona, and my visit to the Hoover Dam on that trip was one of its absolute highlights. I loved the setting, the iconic design, the layout of the visitor center, and my tour. I was expecting a similar experience at Grand Coulee, but just found it to be depressing instead.

The Dam itself is nowhere near as beautiful as the Hoover Dam and its dramatic canyon, and it just looks like a huge slab of concrete across the Columbia. The visitor center is smallish, and the tale it tells is nowhere near is interesting or inspiring as its cousin further south. You have to take a bus to access the tour, whereas everything is smoothly and tightly arranged at the Hoover Dam.

Unless you are particularly interested in engineering, happen to be travelling through the area, or can't think of anything else you'd rather do, I wouldn't bother making a big detour or special trip to visit this attraction.

Hoover Dam made for a much, much nicer visit.

3  Thank Snowkarver
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The road trip from Seattle to the Dam was breathtaking, loads of lakes and rugged mountains.
We didn't get to go into the Dam although you can, as we were short on time, but it is well worth a visit.

2  Thank gonzocbr
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have never seen a dam up close before. This one is spectacular!! We got a tour of one of the sections that houses12 huge turbines. We also saw the laser show at night which was fabulous!

2  Thank Alma24
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We saw the laser light show and it was awesome. The music and lights were very entertaining and they even told the story of the Dam in the show. It was not too crowded. It is a must see when you visit the area.

1  Thank MiniMob