“Best canoe experience to date” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Black Canyon Hike and Desert Hot Springs Day Trip from Las Vegas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a full service outdoor adventure company. Our trips include kayaking, canoeing, stand-up-paddle boarding, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, ATV tours and horseback riding. Our adventures are available in areas such as Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon as well as the entire Lake Mead National Recreation Area. We specialize in guided trips from beginner to advanced, but we also have self guided trips, equipment rentals, wilderness medicine courses, and lessons available in most all of the disciplines. We have availability daily with free transportation from the Las Vegas strip available with all of our guided tours. We also have corporate and large (15+) group tours available.
Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Best canoe experience to date”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was lucky enough to have a 2 day paddle down the Colorado River through Desert Adventures and it was awesome. We didn't have a guide, as I was with some students and our professor had done the trip a million times. He has rented through Desert Adventures for years. The price was great, we were picked up on time from our hotel at Lake Mead, and our driver was hilarious. We were entertained for the entire ride, and he was filled with fun stories and facts about the area. Being dropped off at the base of Hoover Dam was pretty wicked. The canoes were nice and sturdy, and large enough for all of our camping gear. Camping at the hot springs was SO cool. If you're going to the area, you HAVE to do a canoe trip. I'll definitely go through Desert Adventures again when I go back. Thanks guys!

Visited February 2013

Omak, Washington, United States
“Black Canyon Kayak day trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I can't say enough positive things about our experience on this trip! Daniel picked us up bright and early at our hotel and shared tons of interesting info about the area on our way to the shop. We somehow were blessed to have 3 guides to accompany us. Jennifer, Reid and Jordan were fantastic--full of local trivia, very patient, and just a blast to spend the day with! We were able to take in all the highlights--sauna cave, gorgeous short hikes, wildlife, amazing hot springs, delicious lunch, perfect water all the way. I can't think of anything that could possibly have made it better, except for some of Reid's funky 5-toe KSO shoes (seriously--lots of rocks in my sandals), and a hat (which they recommended, but I didn't wear, and the top of my head is a little crispy). On the way back to our hotel, our driver, Laurie, pointed out all kinds of things in Vegas we didn't know about--wish we'd met her on our first day, not our last! I would jump at the chance to do any of the trips with this group again. Definitely the most memorable day of our trip-thank you!!

Utah
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 249 helpful votes
“Second time kayaking Black Canyon as good as first”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Plenty of tour companies offer this trip. Desert Adventures (http://kayaklasvegas.com) made it as easy and fun for us as the first time. To do all the side hikes, etc a longer day than the 7-8 hours we had is needed - lots of people overnight this section so they can see more of the side canyons and hikes. This paddle during summer is easy go with the flow and no real rapids, however, many days, like the two times we have been you can have a fairly strong wind in your face. This trip the head wind was stronger than the last time, but thankfully in gusts because at times it was hard to go downriver with tandem kayak paddlers, it gusted so strong.So I would not really say this is a beginners trip. If you have been kayaking and feeling strong you might need that some days to get through without feeling like it was a supreme effort. My wife got pretty trashed, I could have kept on going and for portions of the last 2-3 miles encouraged her to let me paddle solo more. Our experience level first time was occasional kayaking during vacations - a few times a year for much as 1-2 hours. The past few years we lived by a lake and paddle as much as 40-50 times, 1 hour or less - but plenty to gt us in shape. Despite the stronger wind the trip was less daunting. Just to try to help you gauge the difficulty if it is very windy. I expect even inexperienced paddlers make it Ok but it probably takes some of the fun out of the trip and wears them way down . As far as a company this one go it all right for us - great info, assistance, rental equipment and take out. Don't forget to load up on your own water and food because none is provided or available until the take out point. Email me if you would like more info or details from our experience with this trip and company.

1 Thank Richard M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Magical 3 day paddle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We paddled for three days and had a magical experience. Our 3 and 5 year olds had a blast!  The staff had over and beyond customer service and the equipment was on point. It was a family memory that will remain forever.

Charlotte, North Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“4 Day Grand Circle Tour through Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon and Zion National Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I were on a business trip to Las Vegas and wanted to take advantage of our proximity to some of the National Parks and book a tour. We found Desert Adventures and booked a 4 Day Grand Circle Camping trip with our guide Jennifer. She picked us up at our hotel in Vegas early on the first day and drove us out to Big Rock Candy Mountain where we kayaked, zip lined and hiked and had dinner. Jennifer cooked for us and was our guide. She was super nice and really knowledgable about kayaking, hiking and outdoor stuff. We enjoyed hanging out with her in the evening. We stayed in a cabin the first night.

The next morning Desert Adventures had an 2 hour ATV ride with a private guide up the mountain to over 10,000 feet. We went over large boulders and through streams and along old Gold Miner Trails trails. The ATV ride got us hooked on riding ATVs in future trips. After the ride the second day we packed up and drove to Bryce Canyon. Because we had a guide she showed us which trail was the best hike through the park and would give the best experience. She hiked it with us and we had a great day. We then drove to Pink Coral Sands State Park and she pitched out tents and we helped her with supper, which was very tasty. In fact all the meals she prepared were great. Before we went on our trip she contacted us to make sure she knew if we had any dietary requests or restrictions. She bought all the veggies and meats we liked so that made it easy for us to enjoy it. The Pink Coral Sands were beautiful and so tall. We did a small hike after supper.

The next day we headed out to the Grand Canyon. We spent several hours on the north rim and were able to hike to two different areas of the north rim for some great shots. We even managed to have cappuccinos at the bar/bistro in the park before we left. We took our cappuccinos to the overlook where the rocking chairs were and ended the afternoon sipping coffee and admiring the view. That evening we spent our last night at Pink Coral Sands and we had a lovely campfire and sat around telling stories.

The next day, our last day, we packed up and drove out to Zion National Park. We arrived and Jennifer had advised us before we left for our trip we would need a type of water shoe that we could walk in the river over the rocks and not twist our ankles with. My husband and I went to a store that specialized in specialty footwear and found some great Keen water shoes. Boy were we glad we invested in those shoes. We wore them during our hike through the Canyon and watched other people try to walk in bare feet, or flip flops and it was not easy to walk if you didn't have the right footwear. Desert Adventures made sure we were properly prepared so we were able to hike much further into the Canyon and see some glorious sights. Well worth the effort and so glad Jennifer provided us with trekking poles too. They made it much easier to walk on uneven rocks that were sometimes slick. I didn't fall once! Neither did my husband. Overall, it was such a great trip and money well spent.

We are coming to Las Vegas again this fall and want to book another tour with them around the Hoover Dam. Desert Adventures is a very professional company who deliver the goods when it comes to Adventures!

Visited September 2012