“Full day Black Canyon Kayak”

Desert Adventures - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$138.99*
and up
Black Canyon Hike and Desert Hot Springs Day Trip...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a full service outdoor adventure company. Our trips include kayaking, canoeing, stand-up-paddle boarding, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, ATV tours and horseback riding. Our adventures are available in areas such as Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon as well as the entire Lake Mead National Recreation Area. We specialize in guided trips from beginner to advanced, but we also have self guided trips, equipment rentals, wilderness medicine courses, and lessons available in most all of the disciplines. We have availability daily with free transportation from the Las Vegas strip available with all of our guided tours. We also have corporate and large (15+) group tours available.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My partner and I, after much research online, booked up at short notice, onto the full day black canyon kayak trip, through Desert Adventures. After one call from our hotel, the trip was sorted and it was a very easy transaction - our pick up was to be from outside of our hotel, between 6am-6:30am, and it couldn't be much simpler. As promised our ride arrived, in a nice, new, air conditioned mini van, with a fairly talkative driver, who seemed very pleasant.

The rest of the day, would turn out to be one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had.

After swapping vans at Boulder, we headed down to the Hoover Dam, which is incredible - and to begin the kayaking at the very base of this is nothing short of breathtaking. The equipment all seemed to be well kept, and if not new, in very good condition. We were given a snack bar for the journey and a bottle of water, which could be topped up as we went.

The views as you travel along in the kayak are stunning, and the going is fairly easy due to the cool temperatures in the canyon basin, however the going gets rougher with the heat later on in the day. I would certainly suggest a hat, and a great pair of sunglasses for this trip. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the area, however, it was sometimes very difficult to hear him due to the distances that the kayaks drifted away from each other.

Whilst the experience was incredible, with some of the best scenery I have ever seen, I would have a couple of negative points to throw in.

Our guide didn't take us to places mentioned on the advert for the trip, like the sauna caves, and although its made clear that they don't always, other reviews I have read suggest these are a great place to go.He did however, take us rock climbing. It was described as basic stuff, that was very easy to do, and whilst at the time of doing it, it was all fun, looking back it could have been pretty nasty! There were no safety ropes, one guy was wearing crocs to do it, and the guide lost his footing on a couple of occasions when helping other people. All in all, it seemed that it was very much something that he wanted to do that day, rather than something that is planned to be done. One wrong foot would have ended up in disaster and towards some of the trickier climbs, a couple of the ladies began making comments around how this wasn't advertised and mentioning some of the dangers. This took up a massive chunk of our day, which led to a ridiculously fast pace down the river for the remaining 8 miles of the journey - if anyone hadn't been of very good health, this would have been a massive struggle for them, and also lead to a very fast paced tour of the canyon.

We didn't have time to stop for dinner on a beach, as suggested, however we had it on the river - which as far as I'm concerned was way cooler! We all pulled up close as ham, turkey and veggie sandwiches and packed lunches were handed out.

I would hate these comments to put anyone off booking through Desert Adventures however; this is more a case of me wanting to let people know what they are signing up for. Its a fun filled adventure day, with some of the most amazing scenery you could ever wish to see. I would do it again, twice over. Gerard, our guide, was a great guy who clearly loves how he is spending his retirement.

We got picked up at the end of our journey, again in the air con mini bus, and Ill be honest, the climbing up slippery canyon walls was nowhere near as worrying as the driving from the guy who picked us up. I don't care if he knows the roads and drives them every day, the passengers don't and he drove like an idiot.

All reviews
"canoe trip"
"boy scouts"
"van ride"

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Our guide made a most memorable trip for us. Myself and three other ladies did the 12 mile kayak trip down the Colorado river starting out at the bottom of the hoover dam. Laurie our guide was very knowledgable about the terrain, history and plants. She took us on some side canyon short hikes to hotsprings and then to the beautiful emerald caves . I would highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for a great day of sight seeing and adventure. PS- you won't go hungry the lunch they provided was delicious and plenty.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I took the day kayaking trip and it was GREAT! Our guide was professional, friendly, and never did rush us. The whole staff was excellent!

I would do this trip again but next time it's going to be for more than 1 day!

1  Thank Danny R
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Signed up for a one day kayak trip down the Black Canyon Colorado River near the Hoover Dam. This is about about a 12 mile kayak ride down the river. We had a guide (Antonio) that took us down the river and stops along the way to check out beautiful hot springs of different temperatures. This was a GREAT trip I highly recommend it. The guide we had was very knowledgable about the area and really knows his stuff. Its a easy, relaxing 12 miles down the river. A lot of fun!! Desert Adventures rocks!! Will be back again on our next journey in Nevada....

1  Thank rwolin5293
See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2012

While planning a trip to Vegas, I knew I wanted to get off the strip and get outdoors. A few clicks later and I stumbled on their website. I was picking a trip for the beginning of August so I called and got some advice about which trip to pick. The people who answer the phone are really friendly and made a great suggestion. We ended up booking the Surf and Turf biking and kayaking trip. Everything about the trip was perfect. The shuttle from the hotel was right on time, the guide was friendly and easy to get along with. They provided all the gear and even lunch. We honestly had a blast for eight hours, stopping to take pictures and take in the beautiful views. I can't say enough about the company's attention to detail, the super friendly staff and the great little touches that made this a really special trip. I'd book again in a heart beat.