“Fresh iced tea in a quart sized jar. And the best burger in town.”
Review of Southwest Diner

Southwest Diner
Ranked #3 of 65 Restaurants in Boulder City
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We happened on this place because of the quaint-ness of the exterior. It is on the main street through town. We were welcomed by friendly waitresses and a big menu - including daily specials and all-day breakfast (on Saturday - not sure if it is everyday). I ordered a burger while my husband ordered a chicken smothered in cheese and peppers. The waitress brought a burrito to the table next to us and it looked amazing. At least 5 inches in diameter!

My hamburger was brought to me in a pie tin and included delicious, steaming french fries. My husband's platter included a salad, veggies, fresh baked cornbread (awesome!) and homemade ice cream for dessert.

Overall, this place served excellent food. The waitresses were friendly and prompt with their service. I would eat here again.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Huge fluffy and delicious pancakes. Big portion of thin crispy bacon. Warning for those who like strong coffee: this is serious diner uber weak coffee--buy hey, you're in a diner and the good and service is very good! Eggs were perfectly over medium. Atmosphere has gone a bit over the top in kitsch, but hey, you're on a diner and the food and service are really good! : )

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Make no mistake, this is a diner with typical diner fare. The food is not meant to be gourmet in anyway.

First the good: I had a chopsteak blue plate which was drowning in awesome gravy, onions, and mushrooms. At 2/3 lb. of meat, it seemed never ending. It came with a piece cornbread that was out of this world, as well as a salad, fries, and green beans. My wife had a club sandwhich which was nothing special (but fine). I could have left it at that, but my wife wanted a piece of the pie that she had eyed in the cold case. I'm glad we ordered it. It was some of the best apple pie I have ever had. Not only was it enough for both of us, it was defined by a lack of the sugary sweetness most apple pie suffers from; you could taste the cooked apples as the dominant note in the pie and the crust was a very nice, layered pastry.

Now for the not so good: The service was OK to inattentive. My wife and I got the sense that we happened up our waitress' break or shift change. We were seated and then pretty much ignored. We were delivered the check in a perfunctory (if polite and friendly) manner and told to pay at the register. As noted above, my wife wanted to order a slice of pie, but the kiss-off was so fast that I had to go over the register and request the slice of the pie there. As most people are aware, a good server these days tries to upsell various things, with dessert being the main opportunity. In all, we felt like barely welcome interlopers in a place meant for locals. That's sad, since we visited another local restaurant in Vegas recommended by Guy Fierri called the Four Kegs which was very welcoming.

Over all, it was a decent experience and I am glad we stopped at this offbeat restaurant on our way back to Las Vegas from the dam. I wish I could rave about the place (the decor was well-considered and thoughtful, too). Maybe next time?

1  Thank hirunningman
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We have been here twice in the last 2 years. Each time it was for breakfast and both excellent meals (southwestern omelet and burrito). The staff was very friendly and service was quick. A must stop for those traveling to/from Hoover Dam.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

After the horror, sleaze and disappointment of Las Vegas it was so nice to be back in a small town , and find and comfortable and friendly diner. The food was fresh and tasty, and a generous serve. We both had a Great Southwest Sandwich. I had "The Avocado BLT" and onion rings..huge!! Pies looked fabulous but I was too full! My friend really enjoyed his enormous "Chili Size" smothered with Chili and onion.
Home style cooking and good prices are found here, as well as a nice atmosphere & decor, and cheery staff. I would go back here, no worries!