“Wonderful experience”

Chateau La Roque
Guidford, England
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2007

The Chateau has been lovingly restored by Jean and Chantal who were concerned to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. The hotel has 5 rooms/suites and its several terraces on the hillside provide plenty of places to relax in with great views. We stayed 4 nights in the comfortable large Ventoux chambre which was simply but very tastefully furnished and had a mezzanine bathroom with a rolltop bath you can see in the website photos. The unusual swimming pool is cleverly carved out of the rocks and is a great place to come back to cool off.

The breakfasts were very appetising and whilst there was no menu, we dined outside and ate 2 superb dinners from ingredients purchased on the day which made the experience even more pleasurable. I had the best plate of cheese I have ever eaten.

If you are looking for somewhere off the beaten track for a restful stay with hosts for whom nothing is too much trouble, look no further. I wholeheartedly recommend it and hope to return one day.

• Liked — Wow factor on arrival and food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KAYJAYDEE

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
WA
Reviewed November 10, 2006

I can't remember, sorry, how it was booked. It was a business trip for us. John the host was amazing how he took care of his guests. I rate this the highest quality of vacation spots. Respect the others who might be staying there, and respect the owners by NOT bringing or playing radios or tv's. This is a quiet getaway and should be treated with the utmost respect. I would stay there again and again. Wish I was there right now!!!

Kathy Immel
Sultan, WA

• Liked — The amazing preservation of this historic building
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — yes, only go there if you respect the quietness this beautiful place provides.
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
LAGUNA BEACH
Reviewed July 18, 2006

It was heavenly! Jean & Chantal couldn't have been more wonderful. The Chateau is beautiful and the gardens and views were magnificent. I can't wait to return. Nor can my daughter's and husband. Such was my children's first experience in France and have been spoiled. They expect the grace and hospitality in all places now. Sadly they will have to learn other wise. Our time spent was much to short and upon our return it will be the only place we stay. I could have spent a month. Heavenly food & wine. Jean & Chantal are so gracious and extremely talented in the art of making you feel most welcome. Memories still dance in my head and bring such a smile. Thank you from all of us.
Nanc' & Greg Wallace & Girls

• Liked — EVERYTHING.
  • Tips/Secrets — I am a very easy traveler and I am not that interested in being entertained. I like quiet, clean, gardens, good food and wine, and the feeling of peace. Not everyone is looking for the same thing and have to be on the move constantly. I like to enjoy the area that I am in. As I say I don't have to have lots of activity to please me. The beauty of a place like this is just to slow down and enjoy.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank HAWI
switzerland
Reviewed January 17, 2006

Dear Travellers

Our stay at Chateau La Roque was par excellence itself.

The accommodations were spacious, spotlessly clean and superbly peaceful.

The best of all was our Host Jean Tomasine and, for the weekend, his wife Chantelle. Two more gracious and pleasant people your are very unlikely to meet. Jean also Knew just about everything there was to know about the surrounding are, when to visit the markets, walks to take and where all the interesting sites were to be found - and he knew what was happening and at what time.

Jean cooked for us (he is a Paris trained chef of many years) and talked eloquently, but unobtrusively about the ingredients and their preparation. Truly a magnificent and memorable occasion.

Lord only knows what it would be like here with the blossoms out.

If only we could have stayed longer.
Ian

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank eggmania
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Roque sur Pernes
La Maison sur la Sorgue - Esprit de France
La Maison sur la Sorgue - Esprit...
#1 of 15 in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
#1 of 2 in Mazan
Mas de l'Oulivie
Mas de l'Oulivie
#1 of 8 in Les Baux de Provence

Been to Chateau La Roque? Share your experiences!