“An exquisite meal with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lou Fanau

Lou Fanau
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newport Beach, California
“An exquisite meal with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Enjoyed lunch at this restaurant during my June 2011 visit with my mother and young son. Fontaine de Vaucluse is one of my favorite towns in Provence and this was my second visit but my first experience at Lou Fanau.

We had the good sense to reserve a table before we hiked up to the top of the springs. When we returned around 1:00pm, ours was the last table in a packed restaurant.

The food was great! I ordered the Trout Meuniere and it was superb! A complete fish was presented with PLENTY of toasted sliced almonds and it was not swimming in butter. Be forewarned the fish was not de-boned, but the skin nice and toasted. It was a very delicate dish served with a small side of ratatouille. My mother ordered the Grilled Dorade with a lovely cream sauce that was equally delicious. My young son had the Steak Hache (Hamburger) with Pate (pasta). It was a stupendous burger patty (no bun, yay!) cooked to perfection and served with buttered linguine (it was one of the dishes off the kids' menu).

For desert both my mother and I ordered the Nougat Glace and my son had two scoops of glace (ice-cream) which included on his menu order.

The service is not fast, nor should it be. This is France and there is only two waiters, so be prepared if you're used to fast American service. I prefer the slower pace.

I glanced at dishes on other tables and everything looked great. What I love about Europe is the habit of offering set menus with a couple of options for each course. It makes pricing your meals much easier.

Also, dine on the patio. It's an amazing view straight up the river. Inspiring!

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank panchita_jones

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Still wonderful after 17 years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

I went to this restaurant in 1993 and had a fabulous meal and then saw it again on Trip Advisor so when we went back to Provence we decided to give another go. We were lucky to get a table as it filled up incredibly quickly and it wasn't long before we understood why. We went for one of the cheapest set menus because my daughter wanted the duck pate and it was truly gorgeous. I am sadly writing this a year later so all I can remember is that I had beef and my partner had fish. Both were gorgeous and I had a lovely half bottle of white Cote du Rhone. The food was fab as was the service and it wasn't horribly expensive. I love Fontaine de Vaucluse anyway so we came back on three other occasions. It's a good idea to book as this is a popular little restaurant.

• Visited August 2010