“Review is for the pizza only”

Jewel Lake Pizza & Tea Garden
Ranked #335 of 869 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Anchorage, Alaska
“Review is for the pizza only”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place has the best, and mean best, pizza ever. We usually get the x-large chef's mistake with fresh tomatos. It is so good and piled high with toppings. No canned veggies on their pizza, all fresh ingredients. We almost always pick it up although one time we used delivery. It's always fresh and hot when we get it and it's always done when they say it will be. The only knock on the place is the time we had it delivered it took over an hour to get to our house but it was fresh and hot.

• Visited July 2013

Skagway, Alaska
“Just okay at best for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Looking for some tasty Chinese, we tried the take-out from Jewel Lake Pizza and Tea Garden, as we were staying with friends nearby. Having read the reviews, we realized it would be hit or miss... not everyone has the same tastes, after all, but we really like supporting small, local businesses. We ordered a large wonton soup ($6.75) and chicken lo mein (about $12). It was ready for pickup when I arrived, and was good and hot. I was happy to see the soup had more veggies in it than most places, but there were only 5 wontons in the quart. They were fairly large, and more wrapper than meat. The lo mein was okay, but some ingredients tasted a bit past their prime in age. It came with white rice, which I didn't eat. The place itself looked a bit old, and when our friends came home they told us that it was family run for multiple generations. I might try the pizza there, but I'd probably skip the Asian menu next time.

• Visited June 2013
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best Chinese food I have ever had!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I never thought a pizza place would have good Chinese food. But I was wrong, this place had the best Egg drop soup I have ever had, then the Egg Rolls were full of flavor and I also had Chicken Chow Mein, Breaded Almond Chicken, Sweet and sour Pork, and Chicken fried rice, ALL was Very good! The Hostess was very busy as there was only her and one cook there. So if you want your food fast it is good to order ahead. Otherwise this was a very good experience and I will be back.

• Visited September 2012
Pismo Beach, California
“One bad meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I with I could come up with at least one positive comment on my experience with this restaurant but I can't. We had them deliver a family meal for four and it was awful. The soup was tasteless. Everything was overcooked. The sweet and sour pork consisted of 1/2 inch pieces of pork surrounded by way too much dough. Four pieces were allotted to each meal - not much. The sauce was watery. The teriyaki chicken was tough as leather and inedible. No one ate their meal. VERY spendy waste of money.

• Visited July 2011
Anchorage, AK
“Great family restaurant for Chinese Food and Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

This is a really nice family Chinese and Pizza restaurant. Mitzu is the hostess with the most-ess. There's always lots of Chinese people eating there. The pizza is really great. They have a menu website at http://www.jewel-lake-pizza.com for take-out and delivery orders.