“Not your typical Japanese”
Review of Yamaya Seafood

Yamaya Seafood
Ranked #205 of 895 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Do not go expecting your typical Japanese menu. A family run place (we had a nice chat with Grandma). Food is plentiful and good, if not fancy. We had a variety of dishes and enjoyed them all. Convenient to the Hotel Captain Cook.

3  Thank Fossilexpress

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place is tiny, and the teensiest bit shall we say rugged? on the outside (get used to it, that is pretty much how Alaska rolls), but we ventured in. The whole place is about the size of my living room and it was packed out. A friendly guy eating at the microscopic sushi bar beckoned us to take the last two seats in the place. Our new friend is a 30 year Anchorage resident and a long-time Yamaya regular, and he was our delightful dinner companion for the evening.

Yamaya is run by an older Japanese couple and their granddaughter. Grampa-san is the only cook, and he makes each diner their food one item at a time (be prepared for a leisurely affair). The kitchen is open to say the least, so you can see the whole show. Gramma-san is one no-foolery-tolerated memaw, and she will take your order and tell you what is what in no uncertain terms.

The menu was chock full of things we’d never heard of before, so we followed our new friend’s recommendations and had some absolutely wonderful sushi and rice dishes, and Grampa-san was also gracious enough to stir fry me up something I was craving but which was not on the menu. All in all, dinner with our new friend at Yamaya’s was the perfect ending to our perfect first day in Alaska,

3  Thank prov31girl
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This Japanese/sushi place was recommended to me by an associate and I had to try it. It was cute and quaint and immediately loved it because of the family run environment. I had soy beans, miso, and the sashimi plate. It was all awesome! The sushi was fresh and delicious and melted in my mouth. It was alot of food for a very decent price. Highly recommended.

1  Thank travelnut5613
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I am surprised by some of the negative reviews. I cannot believe my luck in discovering this amazing gem of a restaurant. The best seafood hands down that I had both times I went to Anchorage and the locals assured me I was lucky to stumble upon Yamayas as it is the most authentic and best Japanese restaurant in Anchorage. Granted, both times I was there were weekdays in winter so only a few people were there. I didn't have to worry about service problems. If you're expecting A fancy setting perhaps you will be disappointed but if you are a foodie, you will love the quality of your meal. This is a block away from the downtown Marriott so perfect for business or recreational travelers staying there. You can walk there even in the dead of winter.

1  Thank kristin b
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have very mixed feelings about this place.
I have to say the food was great! Probably this is the reason why people go there.
Good and fresh sashimi and sushi and all that, but as for service?! -none what so ever.

If you can put up with the family runned joint constantly fighting, then it is for you.
I guess since they are family, they tend to forget or maybe don't even mind fighting in public.
Not good.

Let me give you an example, you can be the judge.
Our waitress, she probably was the granddaughter, got into a quarrel with her grandma, and disappeared crying, and grandma went chasing after her. Grandpa or father or some relative is the chef, so he is in the kitchen. He is there, but he avoids eye contact with you, so what do you do.
Just simpily wait for the ladies to come back to get our order...
We waited and waited, and since it is not a big place, you can hear them going at each other in both English and Japanese. My husband was ready to leave, when she finally came back with tears in her red eyes taking our order.

1  Thank Chia2005