“Kobe”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Anchorage, Alaska
“Kobe”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Was not warned of extra charge for fried rice vs steamed. Our cook barely spoke and cooked really fast (instead of making it more of a show like they normally do at Hibachi style restaurants.) Also, the menu seemed overpriced for what was brought out (example-husband ordered chicken and steak, the ribeye was a decent portion, but the chicken was boneless thighs...seems low quality for a $26 plate) Drinks were never refilled, sushi was not available due to no chef, and our appetizer came after we already had our meal. I had much higher expectations, especially after purchasing an $80 meal.

• Visited October 2012

Anchorage
“Great place for lunch”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Really good stir-fried chicken and shrimp in the buffet dishes, always fresh, at lunchtime, along with fresh sushi and other offerings. Seat yourself and get your food at the buffet tables. If they are low on anything, they will immediately refill it so you have fresh choices. At dinnertime, the chefs cook at the griddle in your table, but at lunch time you sit in the dining room section that has booths. Never been disappointed in the food.

Visited June 2012
“Best cook ever!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I only came here because benihana was full, but it was great! The food is a step down from benihana. But I loved the cook way better than anyone I've ever seen at beni's. He was way more talkative and funny. I love a good sense of humor. I will for sure be going back soon!

Anchorage, AK
“It's a happenin' place”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We drive by this place often and always said we should stop in. We finally did and were not disappointed. For the uninitiated, this is teppan yaki-style cooking with 10 places around a very hot grill. The food is prepared at the table and served. You may or may not know the other folks at the table, but you soon will because it's a fun experience.

We stopped in around 5:30 on a mid-week day and by the time we left around 7, every table in the place was filled. The cook/chef does the same schtick as others restaurants of this type: The volcano of fire from the onion, the shrimp tale into the hat, knife and spatula twirling, etc. That's prelude to a pretty good meal.

The portions were quite satisfactory, the food was outstanding and ther entertainment was pretty good. This restaurant also has a number of regular sit-down tables and a waitstaff to service them, but the big draw is the hot grill.

It's not a place we will frequent, but for a special event meal, it's definitely on the short list.

Visited June 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
“Deceived us with our groupon and poor customer service”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

When I got a groupon for this place, I was excited to try it out. As soon as we got there we were seated next to this table that was overcrowded. We asked to be moved to another table since there were 6 other tables that were empty! The hostess was fine with that, but the waitress that came to serve us was upset that we couldn't sit at the original table since it was set up already and admonished the hostess. We got our food served in a very unorganized fashion. Everything that you need to eat together should be served together, not separately. We were sitting at the korean BBQ table and ordered korean pork belly and duck. The duck portion was ok, but the pork belly portion only had 5 slices! Any other korean BBQ place would've have given you twice the amount.
Unfortunately that was not the worst service that they gave us. The worst was when it came time to pay and we wanted to use the groupon we had purchased. We did everything as stated in the fine print. The waitress then tells us that we can't use the groupon because it only applied to their teppeyaki side! What?! How in the world are we supposed to know that you can only eat on one side of the restaurant? The waitress says that other people have else made the same "mistake". We then talk to the manager. He tells us that the restaurant has two sides and that we ate from the wrong side and We were the only people to ever do this!? I show him my groupon with the fine print and he says that Kobe made a mistake by not putting this condition on the fine print, but that he still will not let us use it. I tell him that is is unfair to us to buy a coupon for their restaurant with a condition that we didn't know anything about. He tells me that it wasn't fair for the BBQ side if we used a coupon for their side. I asked to see the manager of the other side. He then tells me he's the manager for both sides. WTF! He's still not going to make things right even though they messed up?!
When a restaurant cares more about making money than doing what is right and giving good service, why would I want to give them my business? If you would lie and deceive your customers, then wouldn't you also not care about the quality of your restaurant. I'm never going back there again. It's not a good restaurant anyway. It is overpriced and there's no customer service provided. Don't waste your money on a place that doesn't deserve your business.

• Visited June 2012