“Favorite Restaurant in Anchorage - no lie”

Dami Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #197 of 896 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Lived in Anxhorage for 4 years and ate here every month 1-3 times. That's how much my family and I love it. Awesome sushi (love the Calvin's Choice roll), awesome service, cool (and clean) atmosphere, and great value. We take all our visitors and friends here! Very friendly staff as well ;) We will truly miss this place!

2  Thank D8Calu

Reviewed May 2, 2011

Absolutely the worst Japanese restaurant I've ever been in. I live in Anchorage and had seen Dami consitently high in overall ratings, so decided to try it before going to the theatre. Service was almost non-existent. My spouse's food was edible, but barely. I ordered a tempura meal, one of my favorites. Of the six items, four were standard batter deep fried instead of tempura batter. In addition, the food was greasy and tasted like they hadn't changed the oil in quite some time.

There are far better Japanese restaurants in Anchorage: Ronnies and Dish are two of the best and we eat Japanese when we travel to Hawaii and Seattle - these two compare very favorably.

Reviewed October 26, 2010

First: the waitress was pretty bad. Didn't lead us to the table, threw the menus on the table, and nearly zero interaction during the meal. No to refresh our drinks nor to ask if our meal was coming along nicely.
I will also note that there weren't many of us there. about 3 tables and no one at the sushi bar- not a surprise.
I ordered some basic california roll with tobiko after being VERY rudely told that there's no such thing as beef udon. (which leads me to wonder what on earth I've been ordering at most Japanese restaurants.)
This was the worst sushi I have ever eaten. For over $10 I expected something better than the Carrs specialty roll, instead I got an amateurish attempt. The presentation was lacking and the tobiko looked as though it was shamefully thrown on at the last minute. I thought to myself, 'but surely the taste shall make up for this gross ineptitude,' but my first bite told me it was exactly as I dreaded. I have never tasted such a foul and rude substance. The crab meat was the consistency of mayonnaise and tasted like miracle whip mixed with imitation crab meat. The ginger on my place was barely enough for 3 of the rolls. The irregular cut of the rolls made some pieces much larger than others, so every roll tasted different than the next. The strange mayonnaise-crab mixture was repugnant.
Once my husband and I finished our meal we had to wait 20-30 minutes before our waitress remembered us and gave us our bill.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

We ordered Kimchi Raman, they gave us instant noodle. I would not call it "worst" if this was the end of it. The owner (I think I can safely assume that the cashier would be also the owner since I don't think they trust anyone else for this position in this kind of shop), when asked, she claimed that she did not know there was any Raman NOT cooked out of instant noodle - obviously a lie if they think they are qualified to run a Japanese restaurant.

It is the worst b/c any good Japanese restaurant I know are run by honest and diligent people - be they Japanese, Chinese, Koreans or anyone else, not by someone trying to profit by selling instant noodles for $11; especially not by people claiming that instant noodles were the only kind of Raman they know.

Reviewed July 2, 2010

Its too bad this was our last meal in ak because if I'd have tried it earlier I would have definitely made it back for repeats.

We ate the poke, salmon handrolls, salmon sashimi, caterpillar rolls, scallop nigirin n this surprise complimentary seaweed n squid (?) salad that was really delish (and really suprising since we were already treated to complimentary miso n edamame. I love poke, I go to hawaii often and eat poke at least once a day while there. I LOVE POKE. This place was def not ur traditional poke, they threw in diced sweet apple!!!! It was really innovative n really tasty, plus the tuna was amazing n everything was nicely seasoned.

The salmon was mind blowing. I can think of only two moments in life when I ate salmon like this, at isana in maui and a place I can't remember in san diego. It was so amazing that after eating the sashimi we ordered FOUR handrolls. Orgasmic.

Boo's fav is unagi, caterpillar was stuffed with it, an embarassment of riches, so good we had to get a second one.

Scallops were sweet plump n tasted like an ocean breeze.

We wanted halibut but chef told us they were out - I respect that a) they move product and b) nothing is lying around.

Rice was perfectly seasoned and perfectly packed. And everything looked like a work of art (fotos coming)

We spent $90 for the two of us, but we gorged ourselves and basically ordered a second round of dinner.

1  Thank LonelyPlanetFaithful