“One of the best places in Anchorage that serves authentic sushi!”
Review of Yamato YA Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Yamato YA Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed August 25, 2014

This is my second time here, and I absolutely love it. I usually have either their sushi plates or chirashi. If you are into "authentic" Japanese sushi, this is probably where you want to be.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I still miss the old location by New Sagaya, but this is very close to the former and more room. Good staff. Have always been friendly to even infrequent customers. They have helped me try several new sushi choices. Attentive and reasonable.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Yamato Ya is a sweet little place to have lunch while shopping or running errands in Midtown. Service can be a bit slow for those who are pressed for time -- but do keep in mind that many menu items are cooked to order, rather than being prepared in advance. The restaurant's attention to detail makes the wait worthwhile.

I can never decide between tempura and teriyaki, so for me a bento box is always a nice option. During my last visit the tempura shrimp were plump and tender, but the large chunk of broccoli was unwieldy and not fully cooked. Boneless chicken was dressed with a citrusy teriyaki sauce that was sweet but not cloying.

Most Japanese restaurants offer teriyaki beef as an option. So does Yamato Ya, but rather than a cut of sirloin they have a "hamburger steak." My advice? Steer clear of that cut of steer -- and stick with the juicy chicken.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband, two teenagers, and I ate at Yamato Ya Japanese Restaurant in June 2013. My husband, craving Japanese food, looked at some reviews online and chose this restaurant. Overall, the food was good. We started with edamame and fresh tofu – very good. My husband ordered the sashimi and sushi combo platter. I had salmon shio and vegetable tempura. My son had the Alaska roll and beef udon. My daughter had the vegetable udon. All meals came with salad, miso soup, and rice. My husband thought the sashimi and sushi platter was very good. I liked the vegetable tempura and my teenagers enjoyed their Alaska roll and udons. However, we all agreed that the salad dressing was awful. It tasted like mildly seasoned mayonnaise. My teenagers and I took one bite and left the rest. My husband was a champ and ate it anyway. Also, the salmon shio didn’t taste that fresh to me, which is surprising since we were in Alaska. I frequently order this dish at Japanese restaurants, but was not thrilled with it here. So, some food was very good and some was not very good. Thus, I gave it an average rating.

1  Thank KailuaGal
Reviewed July 17, 2013

It may be a bit unfair, but this place is just a typical, Japanese/sushi bar. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with Yamato Ya. It was clean, the service was par and the food was ok. The seafood is fresh due to the location, but that is to be expected. Overall, this is just a nice Anchorage restaurant!