“Great experience”

Flattop Mountain Shuttle
Ranked #6 of 12 Transportation in Anchorage
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For Anchorage visitors without rental cars who want to hike Flattop Mountain. Operates April 15 - October 15. 15-person passenger van between downtown (sea level) and Glen Alps trailhead (2,200'). Van remains parked at trailhead while you hike by yourself - unguided. 3-mile round-trip hike. Elevation gain: 1,350.' In sum this is a 30-mile (low key) circuit tour of Anchorage and an unguided mountain hike above it for only $23. 12:15 to 4:30 pm. Check-in between noon and 12:15. No deposit to reserve a seat. See more, pay less with us!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed June 3, 2017

What a great way to start our Alaska experience. I was not feeling 100% on the day so we only made it about a third of the way up. Still enjoyed the snow, the hike and the whole experience. Pete the driver was excellent even lending his jacket to somebody on the shuttle that came in a tee shirt on a really cold day. Highly recommend!

All reviews
"zoo"
in 4 reviews
"moose"

Reviewed November 9, 2016

We had been watching the weather and called Saturday for a Monday reservation. The folks at Downtown Bicycle Rental, who operate the Flat Top Mountain Shuttle, are friendly and very helpful. Read the website to familiarize yourself with their procedures. It’s not that difficult, and you don’t want to be disappointed. I even brought paper copies from their website as I can never find what I’m looking for quickly on my smart phone.

We showed up a little before noon to check in and pay. They made a note on the board by our name. We went over to the parking garage for the view of Flat Top even though it was obstructed by clouds. Then we visited the 1964 Earthquake Exhibit inside the blue mall where Downtown Bicycle is located. Keep alert and in the area. We might not have heard him call “All aboard for Flat Top” while we were at the Earthquake Exhibit had we not been alert. It was about 12:30 p.m.

Make sure you read the important, accurate information you receive on how to hike Flat Top and have water. I would suggest hiking boots over tennis shoes and walking poles if you have them for balance. I wish I had brought mine. Be careful on the railroad steps as many have loose gravel on the top, and erosion has slanted them downward or taken all the ground away. It’s like a ladder in parts. Take your time and be focused. I saw young girls wearing tennis shoes. But coming down, it would be easier to slip if you take the trail too fast.

I work out at least 4 times a week, but should have used the stairclimber more. Just when you think you’re done with the railroad ties, there’s more. It’s worth it to stop and rest when needed. I was surprised my heart was beating so much. I made it to the 2/3 mark and rested before I decided to tackle the last 1/3 to the top. Now I know what a rock wall is. There are no trees, grass, plants, etc. It’s a rock pile stacked straight up, and you climb any way you can. Hence, poles would have helped as I saw a man using them easily on his way down the rock pile. I made it about 1/3 up the rock pile before retreating as I didn’t think I’d have enough time to get to the top, rest and hike down for the 4:00 p.m. departure. After talking to Pete, our driver, I would have made it. Next time. But that gave us time to take the easy “Overlook Trail” from the parking lot for more pictures and great views. If you’re going to Alaska, you need to get outside and experience. Why we even saw a moose!

Reviewed October 16, 2016

I had one full day left in Anchorage and wanted to do the hike up Flattop Mountain, so arranged to go on the shuttle that afternoon (luckily there was space). Pete gave a commentary of landmarks on the drive on the way to the mountain which was cool, kind of a small tour included in the price. The shuttle waits while you hike, and you're given instructions and a map, so can go as far as you want as long as you are back before the shuttle leaves at 4pm. Wet wipes for your hands are great, and the puppy that joined us for the drive was adorable. Would recommend doing this if you have an afternoon free.

Reviewed September 5, 2016

I've also reviewed the mountain itself. To summarize, hiking it was an early highlight of our trip. This shuttle is a terrific way to get there easily and they will also drop you off at the Alaska Zoo on the way back if you so choose (there is a free shuttle from the Zoo back to downtown). The shuttle gives you 2.5-3 hours to do your hike, which is sufficient for most able-bodied hikers to reach the peak. My wife has a slight disability and we were able to make it as well, which was a proud accomplishment. I highly recommend the hike and this group with the shuttle!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2016

I rented a bike from these guys for 24 hours and took their shuttle up to flattop mountain. I recommend both, and their prices are affordable. The staff here are all great, very helpful and friendly. They also had a very cute puppy that hiked up the mountain with us too. I got tons of photo and video footage all over Anchorage both from riding the bike around all of the dozens of bike trails throughout the city (coastal trail) as well as the view of the area from the mountain. You can also be dropped off at the zoo by the shuttle after the mountain and the zoo has a shuttle that will drop you off downtown. Highly recommend.