“Spenard Hostel International”

Spenard Hostel International
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is the nicest hostel I've stay at in Anchorage. Spacious, clean, easy going staff. It's the closest hostel to the Airport, and can be reached by bus for $1.75, or a $7 cab ride. Also, it's closest to the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Conveniently, they rent bikes. I certainly enjoyed how friendly the staff was as well as the number of travelers from all over the world. I'd recommend this hostel over any other in Anchorage.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights in late June, then when I got back to Anchorage after a road trip, I thought I would try out the backpackers hostel downtown for variety. I wish I hadn't; I ended up staying in Spenard a couple more times - it is SO much nicer than the big downtown hostel, it feels more like a home! The houseplants are professional yet super friendly and welcoming, the dorms and bathrooms are clean and there are great communal areas and kitchens to relax in and chat to fellow travellers. Highly recommended, I shall be back here one day!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank paulkeskeys
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I just spent a night in room 102 . It was SO COLD all day and night in the room. In the common rooms people kept their coats on the eat, read and watch tv. At 4 am heat came on (just a tat) which put so much dry dust in the air I had to get up and get a wet cloth to breath through. the bathroom was dirty with thick dust on the baseboard heater, the ceiling falling in and dark mold and dirt in the crack and crevices. The smell of mold was present also and in the hall as well. Kitchen was OK

Room Tip: avoid room 102
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Karen W
jen_from_spenard, Owner at Spenard Hostel International, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience here, and thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you didn't find the hostel warm enough, but we do keep our thermostats at a comfortable room temperature. I'm sure you can imagine how challenging this can be for us to keep everyone happy, as some people are often too hot and others too cold, some more acclimated to the Alaska winter climate and some less so, and we get complaints on both sides. I have to use my best judgement in trying to keep people happy, and as someone who lives at the hostel i certainly want to be comfortable.
Regarding the ceiling issue in the bathroom, we had someone who came highly recommended do a rather poor job on a roof repair in the fall, and we did develop a condensation problem for a couple weeks last spring. While we didn't exactly feel like the cieling was falling down, the paint was peeling a bit along a single drywall seam and unfortunately there just wasn't a lot we could do about it until all of the snow was gone. The entire roof has since been replaced with a state of the art membrane roof, and as the temperatures are warming this spring it appears to be doing its job and keeping everything inside warm and dry and free of condensation. The drywall in the bathroon was replaced and there is no mold issue.
I'm sorry about the dust on the baseboard heater. Thanks to your feedback this item has been added to our regular cleaning routine. I'm not quite sure where the blowing dust you mentioned might have come from, as our heat comes from these baseboard heaters and we don't have forced air heat. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Alaska.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

after yearning to visit alaska, but hesitant due to cost and all that I wanted toi see, i finally made the journey. To simplify this awsome task, this is what I did.

1. I stayed at Spenard Hostel in anchorage for 2 days. From there I was able to walk to Gweenies Resturant for a good hardy breakfast that cost about $12. 00. I was able to save half for lunch or for breakfast the next day. The hostel had a refrigerator & microwave for guest. MY friend & I split the cost of rental car (very worthy choice) we drove from anchorage to Seward (beautiful scenery) where we took the Major Marines Kenia Fjords Tour. All you can eat salmon & prim rib. We saw a lot of what one would want to see in Alaska. We returned to Anchorage late that evening (sun stilllll shining brightly).

Room Tip: rooms are dorm style with about 4 comfy bunks per guest.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MYALASKASOLSTICE
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Super great value for money, with the house staff so inviting and lovely.
Bathrooms are convenient and easy, but most of all so clean and house keepers are seen regularly cleaning.
The staff here care for this hostel like it is their home and the guests we encouraged were polite and friendly.
Will return for sure!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I have been staying here for well over a decade, and on the occasions I have stayed at other hostels in Anchorage I have regretted it. This is the most homey hostel I think I have been to. The building itself is in a converted '70s duplex in a quiet neighborhood near the airport, with a large fenced yard in which camping is allowed. The decor and room arrangements haven't changed since I first stayed, and that is fine; you literally feel as if you are a guest in an average (but well-kept) local home. The staff are always super helpful and attentive, and the management is never intrusive or pushy without due cause. The rules are firm enough to keep security at a maximum and disturbance to a minimum, yet the feel of the place is much more laid back than at larger places. I have never been awakened in the middle of the night, or wondered if my belongings were going to wander off while I was in town. I don't know how they keep up their level of service, consistently, but the reviews say it all. Aside from being a mile from the airport and near a main bus line, pluses include fast wifi, very comfy beds, and clean and well stocked kitchens. The hostel also offers discounted rates for seasonal housing during the winter, for which they accept applications in the fall.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Me and my friends are really not budget travelers. However,we were looking for a place close to the airport where we could get decent 'value for money' considering we arrive to Anchorage late evening and take a ride to the airport very early morning next day.
We knew we come late and the email said: if arrival after 11pm you will find information about your room right behind the entrance. And it was as said.We found a nice letter saying where is our room and when we can officially check-in next morning, eventually what to do if we leave early morning which was exactly our case.

I was verry happy about the approach, the room was specious enough considering we were in the hostel. The house was home-like: cozy and I felt well.

I would definitely recommend this lovely place with pro-active personell (based on easy communication for late arrival guys)

• Stayed: July 2011