“Amazing service”

Spenard Hostel International
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Amazing service”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Me and my friends are really not budget travelers. However,we were looking for a place close to the airport where we could get decent 'value for money' considering we arrive to Anchorage late evening and take a ride to the airport very early morning next day.
We knew we come late and the email said: if arrival after 11pm you will find information about your room right behind the entrance. And it was as said.We found a nice letter saying where is our room and when we can officially check-in next morning, eventually what to do if we leave early morning which was exactly our case.

I was verry happy about the approach, the room was specious enough considering we were in the hostel. The house was home-like: cozy and I felt well.

I would definitely recommend this lovely place with pro-active personell (based on easy communication for late arrival guys)

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Roscommon, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2011

So conveniently located near the airport, this hostel is better than any I have ever stayed at. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. The grounds are very kept and the hostel is very clean. Their high speed internet is a major bonus. Also, their bike rental was very helpful; being a traveler without a vehicle, I was able to see the entire (nearby) Coastal Trail. I will definitely be back every time I am in Anchorage!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I arrived at Spenard Hostel in December 2010, and was greeted by a plowed parking lot and a huge mural on the front of the building. The building seemed homely and welcoming at first sight and upon walking through the front door was met by one of the houseparents who welcomed me with a warm hello and smile. The building is layed out over two floors with 4 wings, there are 3 kitchens, a TV room, free wifi, laundry room and the dorms have 4 to six beds in them. The rate is very reasonable at $25 a night plus a weekly rate of $150 and an even more reasonable $300 monthly rate if you plan on spending longer in the fabulous state of Alaska. The place is kept clean by both the houseparents and the guests, who create a unique community which is nice when youre away from home around the holidays and looking for some company.

The best part about the hostel is the houseparents who are pretty much free tour guides around Anchorage. If you are looking for a great day out hiking followed by an awesome night out at Chilkoot Charlies bar down the street then make sure to stop by Spenard hostel!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I had a lot of fun at this hostel, and in the fall/winter time it feels more like staying with a cool family. Jen the owner is really nice, and Kelly the houseparent was super-great. All the guests were really, really nice too; there was quite a good normal-to-weirdo ratio. The rooms were good, although if you're into security then you're out of luck - no locks on doors. But I never felt like my stuff would get nicked, and I was just a bit more careful, so I didn't worry too much. The only issue I have is with the location (although it's on the bus route and there are tons of fast food joints within walking distance) - the area is a bit of a prostitute/drug den, so if you're female you do tend to get lots of slow drive-bys, stares and offers of a good time. But it is generally safe. I stayed here twice in October, and had positive, fun experiences both times.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2010

This is a Great Hostel at a Great price! Sweet people, Nice Bunks, Hot Showers. I had an enjoyable stay!! THEY HAD COFFEE READY IN THE MORNING AND THE BUNK ROOMS are very nice. Talked to some really cool folks. Kitchen and living room available. Coupons available for events near the front door. If I ever come to Anchorage again I will be back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2010

SPent our first night in Anchorage at the Spenard Hostel. House was pleasant enough, but room was a bit small 2 bunk beds for four people - and not much room for our suitcases. But it's a hostel, and a clean and friendly one at that. Wouldn't want to spend a long stay here, but the price is right, location is good (if you have a car), and the place was well staffed and clean.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Gunnison, Colorado
Reviewed July 27, 2010

this hostel is super clean, super comfortable, it has tv's piano's movies, internet, bike rentals, it has a program where you can stay free if you do 3 hours of chores, has a community food pantry, (or private ones) but above all, the staff was the best part of my whole trip. i made really good friends with the staff and everybody else staying there. DON'T BE A FOOL! stay at spenard hostel!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business