“Great Airport Hotel”

Courtyard Anchorage Airport
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here on two separate stays during our Alaska vacation. The airport shuttle came promptly both times. Our rooms were spacious and comfortable. The bistro was a pleasant surprise. They have many healthy food selections and the food was good quality. We ate there for breakfast and dinner on both stays. The menu is somewhat limited but they do have additional items that are not on the posted menus for some reason. We also used the laundry facilities with no problems. Enjoyed the nice garden outside our first floor window. The price seems high, but when you compare it to other hotels in Anchorage, the price is pretty good. Alaska is expensive! I would definitely stay here again if I find myself in Anchorage again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank gardnermanker
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Anchorage Airport

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel looks very nice. The interiors have been recently updated, and our room was generously sized, clean, and appealing to the eye. I'd requested all foam bedding beforehand, and I only found one feather pillow in the bedding when we arrived, which is pretty good.
However, this was probably the worst service I've ever received at a hotel. As it was happening, I kept on trying to look on the bright side and ignore it because we had our two little kiddos with us and a long day of travel ahead of us, but once we were home it started to sink in that this was a *seriously terrible* hotel experience.
At check in, we planned to ask the front desk staff for restaurant suggestions. But the man who checked us in was terse (although not rude) and practically shooed us away as he handed us our room key. I tried to cut in to ask about restaurants, but he'd moved on to the next customer. Not a huge deal, but surprising for an upper-level hotel.
At about 10:30pm, I woke up to the smell of burned popcorn in our room. Moments later, the fire alarm went off. My husband and I quickly grabbed our two small (and screaming) children and hurried to the stairway. We were near the middle of the 3rd (top) floor. Exiting our room the smell of smoke was strong, and by the time we'd turned the corner to the last stretch before the stairs, the smoke was visible as well. My theory about burned popcorn disappeared because it seemed way too smoky for that. It got thicker as we went down the stairs, and by the last stretch I was wishing I'd brought a towel to put over my daughter's face. The group of us that exited there into the parking lot assumed that a hotel employee would come tell us what to do. After 5 or 10 minutes, we gave up and walked the long walk around to the front entrance. There the front desk staff laughed it off and said was just burned popcorn and that we could go back to our rooms. I was carrying a 40-lb 4-year-old (we hadn't taken the time to get her shoes, for obvious reasons), and my husband was holding our crying and confused two-year-old, and they neither apologized nor gave any real reassurance that there were no problems. Thankfully, the firefighters in the hall did assure is that it was safe to return to our room (I knew that at least they would feel responsible for our well being even if the front desk staff didn't seem concerned). The firefighters brought in some sort of fan to help air the smoke out, but it was still very smoky at least in our side of the hotel--we'd had our fan and a/c and heat off, but when we got back to our room it was too smoky to be able to fall asleep. Eventually, with the window open and a towel shoved along the bottom of the door to keep the smoke from the hallway from coming in as readily, it lessened enough for us to go to sleep.
The next morning, I realized that since we'd had to use a towel under the door, we were short a towel for bathing. I called housekeeping and got a voicemail message (which I thought strange). I left a message explaining that we'd like another towel, but no towel arrived, and even 4 hours after that message was left we'd still not gotten either a call back or a towel. Our kids are small, and we were able to have them share one, but we *should* have been able to get a towel.
Due to the somewhat sleepless night and towel-delay (at first we just waited for half an hour, before giving up), we decided to bail on our breakfast plans and eat at the hotel restaurant. TERRIBLE DECISION. The overhead menu said to ask for a children's menu, so we did, but the gal behind the counter didn't know where to find it and had to find the chef (?) for help. Then she didn't know how to place orders from the kids menu, so we had to wait for help again. Then she didn't include the strawberries I'd said we wanted to order at least 5 times during the ordering process. And the receipt they give out is not itemized, so there was no way to know that it had not been included until they didn't arrive. My husband had to go back up, wait in line again, and have her look up the transaction to determine that they hadn't been ordered. At this point, many restaurants would have given them to us for free, but that wasn't offered. Just a few minutes after we'd gotten our order problem cleared up, I heard the table next to us have the same sort of problem with something having been left off their order. The food was fairly expensive, and fairly terrible. If you must eat there, I strongly recommend you avoid the scrambled eggs. I didn't expect them to be good, but they were inedible. The toast was also inedible, which I don't think I've experienced before. My husband had fried eggs, which looked more normal, and one of our kids had the french toast, which looked a lot like the school cafeteria stuff but at least it was edible. The strawberries were by far the best thing ($5 for a container, and better than anything else we had).
So, as I said in the title--the design and furnishings were really nice, but the quality of the staff was really, really unfortunate. I would not recommend staying there unless you are *very* low maintenance and I would not recommend eating there under any circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JF_in_Cali
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at Courtyard Anchorage Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Hello –

I recently received a copy of your review. Our goal is to provide great rooms AND service, but we fell short on the latter during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

Thank you for your detailed feedback; it makes it easy to incorporate it into our training program.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here because I got it at no cost using airline frequent flier miles--if I had to pay their price, I would have stayed elsewhere. The airport shuttle was prompt for our late-night arrival, the room was clean and well prepared, the staff was friendly and helpful. At the prices they charge, I expected breakfast to be included but no deal. This is Alaska so I expected everything to be expensive and in that respect, the food at breakfast was pricey. (There is an excellent Mexican food place right next door at the end of the parking lot}. We stayed two nights and then headed for the cruise terminal in Whittier.

1  Thank danw5zt
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very good hotel with nice facilities nearby Lake wood , one of the most active platform for floating planes , !
Very well located for the one who whish to organize a flight trip over Alaska.
I would recommend the place for business or vacation , hotel staff was very nice.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our first visit to Anchorage and just needing a stop on the way out to catch a plane the next day. Priced a little high for the service received. There appeared to be a number of hotels within the airport "shuttling" distance, that may warrant looking in to before booking here. Yes, it has a more contemporary lobby area in which you can hang out and visit or meet to plan your days with your fellow travelers, and a nice little bistro/deli type of area in which you can catch a quick bite, but other than that, the room was average and the front desk was not very friendly. The shuttle driver we had seemed not too pleasant either. So if you are in need of a quick night of rest, we would suggest searching all of the options available before paying this type of money to stay here. I know we will.

1  Thank Gruber123Go
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at Courtyard Anchorage Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hello –
I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our goal is to provide great service, but we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

I do agree that our lobby is designed more stylish, and is more inviting, than other hotels in the area; and guests do enjoy our bistro food items and Starbucks coffee. However, I don’t like to hear that a guest felt like a front desk associate and our shuttle driver weren’t very friendly, so I’ll pass your comments on to the general manager and she’ll address it right away.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed two nights after an Alaskan cruise. This hotel is fairly new with modern, clean facilities. The bed was extra comfortable with nice linens. There is a small onsite restaurant, which has a limited menu--but it was excellent--the hamburgers were so big, we couldn't put the whole thing in our mouths. All the staff was courteous and friendly. The location was great for getting to the airport quickly--but also convenient to the light sightseeing we did in Anchorage--it has major roads on two sides of the hotel.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, stay on the east side of hotel away from the lake where the seaplanes take off...
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Close to the airport. Nice lobby. Very clean hotel. The staff is very, very nice, but (sorry to say) inefficient. When we arrived, a guest was checking out while the shuttle driver loaded their luggage. Get this: The shuttle driver took off with the luggage and left the guest standing in the lobby. Not good if you're trying to make a plane. Their issue, not ours. After an easy check in, we found a very clean and spacious room with nice linens and lovely furniture, but the TV was really grainy, almost hard to see. When we ordered food from the lobby bistro, it took over an hour (!!) to get a grilled cheese (they made a mistake and gave us a quesadilla, but we didn't want to wait any longer) and some hummus dip with veggies and flatbread (note to bistro: when you put wet veggies in a box with flatbread, the flatbread gets soggy and inedible).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ByTheSeaByTheSea
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at Courtyard Anchorage Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Hello and thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at the Courtyard Anchorage Airport. We strive to provide the best possible service, and when it fails to meet a guest’s expectations we do like to hear about it.

Housekeeping is one of our strengths, so it’s common for guests to mention that we have a “very clean hotel”, but we thank you. I’m not sure what was going on with the shuttle driver on that day, so I’ll find out right away. New televisions are scheduled to be added to every room this summer. Last week a new bistro training program started, so I’ll make sure your notes are included in the discussion.

Happy Travels.