“I didn't mind being snowed in”

Clarion Suites Downtown
Ranked #31 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I spent four week days, check in on Tuesday out on Saturday, at one of my favorite places to stay in Anchorage. I booked the room via the actual front desk after I checked availability online so I could request the Alaskan Resident rate. Unlike many hotels in the area they have a resident rate year round, not just during the off season. The rooms are so large that I'm not joking when I say it's larger than my first apartment. I love having a microwave, kitchen sink and a fridge in my room. I didn't have any trouble finding parking on this visit and they had cleared the snow from the storm pretty quickly. I want to give a 4.5 but that's not an option. It would have been a perfect stay except the internet speed was way too slow: fast enough to check email or read the news but not fast enough to stream netflix or hulu. But, on the other hand, it was free internet.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator as it is slightly smaller. They are also willing to offer spec...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Kodiak_kid_123
There are newer reviews for Clarion Suites Downtown

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We like to spend the weekend in Anchorage. First of all, there is free parking and that is not so common in the downtown part of Anchorage. We took a cab to the restaurant (Club Paris) but just decided to walk back after a nice dinner. It was a nice walk. Next, we had free Internet. Paying for Internet for two laptops is always a nasty surprise, and this place does not charge extra. The room had two TV's with lots of channels and the best thing was the comfort of the bed. The pillows were nice and comfortable. There is nothing that hurts my neck more than a GIANT pillow, that is just too high to sleep on. We will be back, we really enjoyed our weekend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AlaskaCouple2008
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I thought I was booking the hotel at 8th and A formerly known as the Clarion Suites but is now a different name (Quality Suites). Not only was the Clarion Suites that I actually booked near 8th and L quieter, cleaner and safer location but the price was cheaper by at least $30 a night. Very pleasant suite with king bed, 2 flat screen tvs, microwave and fridge. Great water pressure in the shower. Safe in the room. Restaurant in the parking lot and other great restaurants nearby. Park Strip across the street. Friendly staff. This is our new favorite downtown hotel to stay at in Anchorage. We didn't get up early enough for the free breakfast that was served until 9 a.m.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KenaiSeamama
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Front desk clerk was very personable, attentive and courteous. When I needed a wine opener, they had some and were very helpful. This is a non smoking hotel which I really appreciate and when I mentioned that I smelled someone smoking, they sent one of service man to investigate.
Breakfast buffet was good, it was constantly filled up and full service. I do like the way the room is set up as the living room/sofabed is separated by a door from the main room. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel does not have a restaurant, but Benihana is only a couple of feet away. They also have Mi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank myfaironepb
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I was supposed to have a reservation for two nights. When I checked in, I discovered that I only had the first night. (Reservation made by "U.S. Travel"). There was a big conference in town. Sarah, the manager, was able to work some magic and got me the 2nd night in the same room!

Room Tip: Parking is free...which is significant for downtown Anchorage.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank George S
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Check in was smooth and easy, friendly reception staff. We were tired and she gave us the telephone no.to order take-away food which was a great help. The spacious suite had everything one need. Beds are very comfortable and very clean.The laundry was a great help after 10 days on the road. Breakfast was good. The hotel is centrally situated, walking distance to center city. The shuttle very convenient. We needed to book at another hotel for our 2nd night stay and the reception desk did the booking and the shuttle took us there, which we really appreciated. We can recommend a wonderful stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joles2013
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at the Clarion Downtown, Anchorage this past week. The rooms are very clean. We had plenty of towels. The beds are comfortable and we had enough blankets to keep us warm. (I like a lot of blankets). You can adjust the temperature of the heat easily just how you like it. The rooms are quite. The front desk staff was always very helpful in answering any questions I had with directions or where to eat. It is in a good location, just a few blocks from the museums and places of interests. We rented a car, but I believe you can take a shuttle to many places you want to go see. The Clarion also has a nice hot breakfast bar with scramble eggs, bacon, sausage, danish rolls, fresh fruit and yogurt, etc. Our room overlooked the park that was nice too.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple