“Close to airport, clean and breakfast included!”

Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We picked this one because we have stayed in HIE before in San Francisco and we loved it. This one was sort of pricey but not by Alaska in season prices. For the price, it was great because we saved money on breakfast.. Love the Express Start setup :) Also, the darkening curtains were a big help since sun did not set until after 1030 pm then and still was light after that. And the staff was friendly esp. Jonah at the desk who was very helpful when I was asking questions about places. (And congrats on her baby and hope things go very well!) Also, the breakfast staff were friendly and helpful. We passed by some of the places I had looked into, since there are not too many choices there, and I was so glad we picked one we knew we could expect to be up to standards, My only complaints were that the smoking areas were directly outside each exit door. I don't care if people want to smoke but it could be away from where I have to walk through it to even get out.. Also, our shower curtain smelled like it had mildewed and needed to be changed.
Thanks and if we come back to Anchorage we will stay here if the price is right.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors so that you can eliminate some of the noise above you. we had someone who wante...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am thankful that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. Jonah is doing fine and I will send her your regards. Thank you again for choosing HIE Anchorage, we hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage!

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Basic updated holiday inn express. Clean enough to not creep you out and large rooms that can accommodate a rollaway. The staff was helpful and breakfast was included. A little pricey, but in line with alaska prices. Many hotels and cabins are pretty beat up/dumpy in alaska, that is why I went with a national brand.

• Stayed: August 2013
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and share your experience with us during your recent stay. I will make sure to share your comments with the staff.

Holiday Inn Express

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We just stayed here one night after getting into the airport late. The shuttle was broken, so we and at least 10 others had to wait for one club van being shared with another hotel. We did get there. The room was NOT as pictured here. It was dark and depressing with an old outdated decor. The security latch was broken. It was SO overpriced for a property of this caliber. If it had been half the price, this review would be better. This is NOT a good value. We were so glad to only have to spend one night there. Maybe it was just the first floor that hadn't been renovated yet and the others are nicer.
The breakfast bar did have a neat pancake maker. I hadn't seen that before. They removed the coffee when they cleaned up the breakfast bar though. Not welcoming on any count.

Room Tip: Get one upstairs. They might be updated as others have stated.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary M

Hello, Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations. During your stay our regular shuttle van was in the shop undergoing repairs so we were operating our back up van, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

With the exception of some of the bathrooms which we will finish renovating in the fall, all our guest rooms have undergone a refresh so I am surprised to hear that you found your room outdated with old décor. I would love to look into this issue, if you could provide me with the room number you stayed in. My contact information is below.

I do apologize for your less than satisfactory stay. Here at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, it is the goal of myself and the staff to provide outstanding service and quality accommodations to every guest, every stay, so I thank you for providing us with this training opportunity.

Holiday Inn Express
907-248-8848
tlewis@thehotelgroup.com

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a beautiful, business-class hotel near the Anchorage Airport. We stayed here one night while moving from Seward to Healy during our 8-night Alaskan vacation. The hotel seemed to be in excellent condition, possibly renovated recently. The lobby was nicely decorated with regional items; business center was large; and the staff were friendly. It’s also unusually large for HIE standards; it takes quite some time to walk from one side of the building to the other!

Our room was clean, extremely large, and featured two comfortable chairs. The bathroom was very large too; however, the sink was missing the stopping device, so you had to be careful not to drop a ring or jewelry down the drain. The room included a refrigerator, which was a nice feature. The WiFi and TV worked fine.

The free breakfast was typical for an HIE. Lots of hot and cold items. There are also two fast-food restaurants and one (disappointing, in my opinion) sit-down restaurant within easy walking distance.

Like everything in Anchorage (and Alaska in general) the price is normally high. I booked with reward points, so our stay was free. But the regular price is something like $250 per night before taxes. I’d say $140-160 would be a reasonable price for this type of room in most areas of the lower 48. But, you can’t do much about price in Anchorage.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. I will make sure to share your kind comments with my staff. Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel & staff were great. They let my wife check in early on my reservation through work, since I wasn't going to arrive for a few more hours. The room was spotless very clean which I like. Staff was also wonderful & very outgoing. I would stay here again:)

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. On behalf of the staff and myself we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel is located to the airport. It is in close walking distance to Wendy's, McDonalds, and Village Inn. Rooms are comfortable and were clean. They have shuttle service which was a great service.

Breakfast was hot and the area was well kept by the 2 gals that were in charge of it.

Only thing to comment about is that the shuttle van is very tattered with broken windshield and torn seats but driver was extremely helpful and friendly.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. I am pleased that you enjoyed our guest rooms and breakfast. I do apologize for the appearance of our shuttle van during your stay. We are using our old van while the new one is in the shop for repairs.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Anchorage.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a very short stay here (about 9 hours). The hotel is very close to the airport, which is convenient when you arrive late at night, which many Anchorage passengers do. The room was somewhat clean, and the beds were comfortable, but the heat in our room didn't work. I called the desk and they tried to talk me through it, but it wasn't working. Fortunately, this is a warm summer by Alaska standards, so it wasn't too bad. The breakfast is a half step above continental, and was nothing to write home about, but it's free, so.... I would probably stay there again even though the room was very pricey, but anywhere worth staying during the summer is gonna set you back a bit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. I will make sure to share with my staff.