“Good choice for Anchorage”

SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel was probably about my best Alaska hotel experience. The rates are very high in summer, though, so try to use Marriott Rewards points if you have them (same number of points in summer as in winter, so a good deal).

New hotel (perhaps even "stylish"!) with good rooms and a nice free breakfast. The buffet had plenty of choices; definitely one of the better free motel breakfasts I've had lately. Very convenient if you need to be near the airport (free shuttle was pretty quick) or if you have a car. Without a car, I'd probably prefer to stay in downtown Anchorage (just a couple of miles away) if I were in town for a few days.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave's_reviews

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We spent one night there after arriving in AK from the east coast. Very clean, and staff was very couteous. Free breakfast was fine considering the price! No complaints at all. Would prefer to stay in the heart of downtown if I were spending more than one night in Anchorage although we were only minutes away.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bertram4me
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Went to Anchorage for business and stayed here because of its "midtown" location - and from what I could tell it was as good a choice as any (I'm not sure Anchorage is filled with 5-star hotels). The hotel was clean and well maintained, and I liked the simple, clean, layout of the room. I should also add the wifi was excellent so that helped a good amount.

A few points of advisement:
- bring eye shades, the shades are fine but not black-out and in the summer it's light almost all night long
- take advantage of the airport shuttle van, was very useful
- if you want to get around from the hotel, you will either need a taxi or a car - they helped arrange taxis for me

Also, it's right next to what looks to be Anchorage's main movie theater complex, so if you're bored while in town, you can always catch a movie!

I could have used slightly healthier options at breakfast (e.g. some sort of fruit, other kinds of cereal) as opposed to the bread, eggs and sausage-fest, but that's a minor complain.

Anyhow, recommended for a reliable, no fuss experience with nice, clean rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dansac
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I do agree with most of the recent reviews that this is overall a very nice hotel.

However, I was motivated to write this review because I was very upset by the way the front desk handled our request for a rollaway bed.

We traveled with our three small (<10 yrs old) children and had hoped to put a rollaway in the room in addition to the two queen beds so our third child could sleep there. We did have a fold-out couch, but since our kids were in bed by 8 most nights, we wanted to keep one end of the room quiet and dark for them to sleep and use the sofa end to read or watch tv quietly after they went to bed. I should also note that this was not a brief stay; we were in the midst of a military move and had to spend 9 nights here.

From the moment of check in we requested the roll away bed, which is listed as complimentary in the information book in the room. We were told every day of the first 2-3 days that the rollaway beds were all being used. The hotel appeared full of families so this seemed reasonable.

On day 4, I approached the front desk again with my request. She looked me straight in the eye and said, "There are none available today." I asked if she knew when one was available and she said, "You can't have one because your room is too small." (first I'd heard of this in 4 days.) I assured here we had plenty of room in our large room. Then she said, "We have no rollaways at this hotel." (odd, because the first night the front desk person was directed to a specific closet where they were supposedly kept.)

At this point I confronted her, as clearly she was lying to my face -- she just gave me three different statements in a row that couldn't all be true...and if there were no rollaways at the hotel at all, why was there a special closet for them? And why didn't they tell us that the FIRST night?

I abhor being lied to. We were strung along for four days and then lied to directly. This is NOT the Marriott service we have known and loved, and is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

We lived just fine without the rollaway bed -- just put one child to bed in our bed at first then transferred them to the sofa bed later -- but treating me like an idiot and lying to my face soured the hotel experience for me during an already stressful time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank FamTrav5_12
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were in Anchorage for three nights. We decided to stay in Springhill Suites. There are two Springhill Suites in Anchorage. We decided to stay in the one that is closer to the city centre on A Street. This is well located closer to shopping centres and other attractions of the city. It is a Marriot hotel. We have been in a few other Marriot hotels in the past. We expected a high level of service from the hotel staff. The staff and the reception did not disappoint us. They were courteous and very obliging. We were very happy with the service and the facilities of the hotel. The free breakfast was reasonable. There was a waffle maker that allows you to make fresh waffles. There was a big flat TV in the room with all the extra channels. The refrigerator and the microwave were very useful to keep our extra food and warm them when needed. There was ample free parking. The room was big and the beds very comfortable. The room was nicely decorated and in our room, there was an additional desk and chairs to keep our computer and do our work if necessary. The free internet was fast and I could connect to the wireless network from our room.
We were away visiting places during the day time and we came back only to sleep. We did not use most of the facilities such as the gym and the pool.
We found many business travellers using this hotel. We stayed in this hotel during the tourist season and the rooms were comparatively expensive, which is acceptable. This is a good hotel in a good location. It is the ideal hotel for business travellers or if you are planning a long holiday in Anchorage.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AndrewFernando
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip and was quite pleased.

Room decor was more upscale than I'm used to...

beds - nice & soft, had plenty of pillows.

room - enjoyed having an open fridge (nothing crammed in it), nice flat panel tv (that could rotate, sorta), separate sofa, lamps, and bathroom with break-out sink.

breakfast - was efficient, food was fresh, but busy

pool - never got a chance to use it, too many kids

parking - at the time, it appeared as though they were doing some construction and the lot was in bad shape.

checkin - was fairly efficient, but for some reason they couldn't put my Marriott Rewards number in, however central res was able to help.

Internet - was sketchy, but this is Alaska. Don't plan on streaming NetFlix without a few buffer breaks.

Hotel is located in a fair spot with restaurants within walking distance and a movie theater a skip behind the hotel.

The only complaint I could come up with is the layout of my room - I'm not sure if I had a special room or not - but the desk was around the corner from the tv... I typically like to watch TV while I'm working and this wasn't possible.

Room Tip: Get an east facing room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank DiverDown79
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for only one night, but I enjoyed my stay there. Check in was quick and friendly.

My room was a mini-suite: large, comfortable, and quiet. The room had a king-size bed, end tables with lamps and a telephone, a writing desk and chair with a lamp and a second telephone, a flat-screen TV with multiple cable channels, a dresser with several drawers, a clock radio, a mini-fridge, a microwave oven, and a stainless steel sink with cupboards below it. This is the usual setup for most Springhill Suites, so there was nothing special there.

The bathroom was nice: a separate sink, bathtub with shower, commode, and plenty of towels and soaps.

Breakfast was included in the room price ($180 per night), and consisted of waffles, scrambled eggs, cold cereal, muffins, bagels, bananas, and a large assortment of beverages.

The hotel has a spa, heated indoor swimming pool, and a gym with about six workout machines.

Overall, this was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo