“Not if it were free.......” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anchorage Hotel

Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #46 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Commack, New York
“Not if it were free.......”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

We needed a place for one night prior to taking the railroad down to our cruise ship in Seward. Picked this becuse it was reasonable, and had a shuttle to both the airport and the train station. (The shuttle driver was great, by the way). As another reviewer said, in retrospect, I'd pay the extra money to stay somewhere else even though Anchorage hotels are ridiculously priced. The girl behind the desk was a ditz. (When I told the shuttle driver I couldn't get a straight answer out of her he said "this doesn't surprise me"). Our party took up four rooms. For reasons they could not explain, two of the room resrevations had been "cancelled" prior to our arrival. The girl, and then later the owner, said it was because the rooms weren't being held by a credit card (WRONG). They managed to squeeze us in, however. The place was dirty. When we came downstairs at 5 AM to catch the shuttle to the train station, a couple of drunk young ladies were just rolling in from a night on the town. Take my advice....stay somewhere else.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RhodyJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Overland Park, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2006

I hadn't stayed in a Super 8 in about ten years; however, my past memory was that Super 8 hotels were generally less thrills for less money BUT they were clean and well maintained. If this Super 8 is any indication of the others, then my memory does not serve me well. This was by far one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. It was everything you think of when you think of a filthy hotel. Both bed comforters were stained with what I assume were bodily fluids. There was hair on the bathroom floor - not just one hair which I can generally overlook - but a number of hairs evidencing the floor had not been cleaned in some time. The bath tub appeared as though it hadn't been touched by cleaning solution in months. The towels were thread bear as was the carpet in the halls. The breakfast selection was weak and the single toster did not work. The only positive thing I can say about this room was that the air conditioner worked well.

4 Thank transmeier
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

It must be that the Super 8 has gone entirely down hill since some of the other reviews giving this place multiple stars. This place is easily and by far the most awful hotel I have ever had the unfortune to stay at. Me, my husband, grandparents, mother and sister got to the Super8 in Anchorage after an Alaskan cruise with Princess, planning on staying two nights. The desk staff was absolutely horrible. They were amazingly rude and unhelpful. They kept ignoring us while they roughhoused around with each other behing the desk. They were unable to answer the simplest of questions, just always saying...I don't know. They placed us in smoking rooms even though they ackowledged two of the reservations were for non-smoking rooms and none of us smoke or can handle smoke.

Opening the door to the rooms was like a nightmare. They were ABSOLUTELY filthy. The best word is FOUL. They stunk. The bedspreads were FULL of holes from cigarette burns and the pillows were thin and obviously very old. The carpet was practically black with grime and stains. The bathroom was disgusting. There was dirt and hair caked all along the floor against the wall and in the corners. The bath tub was practically brown. I figured it was just stained as I know some tubs can get, but when I dared to take a shower the next morning I could FEEL the grime under my feet!! I wanted to wear my flip flops in the shower!

None of us wanted to touch anything and we were all afraid to sleep in the beds....it was just that absolutely gross. We elected to just go home a day early and went down to cancel our next night reservation. Again, we were met by blank stares and had to explain what we wanted several times. When the person at the desk finally cancelled our reservation she acted as though she were used to people leaving early. She didn't even question why.

As for the shuttle...he wouldn't take us anywhere except to the airport. It did pick us up at the hospitality center the ship dropped us off at, but when my mother called they said the shuttle would be there in 15 minutes...45 minutes and 4 phone calls later he showed up-his only excuse was that he had to get gas (I'm not sure why in the world it would take 30 minutes to get gas).

And yes, the hotel is in a terrible part of town, with pracitcally a junkyard next door. Even though the hotels in Anchorage are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, in retrospect, I would pay the $50 or so more to stay in a semi decent hotel as opposed to this disgusting, uncomfortable, smelly place staffed by rude people. Do everything you can to avoid this place.

As a P.S. I have stayed at Super 8 motels many times in my life in different places and found them fine in most, so its not the Super 8 part that got me...it is THIS Super 8.

4 Thank acall
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2006

I stayed at the Super 8 for one night before moving into student housing at the University of Alaska Anchorage. Being from out of state, I was very nervous about coming to a new place by myself. But when I got off the plane everything went very smooth. I called the hotel for the shuttle but one wasn't avalaible so they paid for my cab. The hotel isn't very fancy but the rooms were very clean. You might want to get a room upstairs becuase it is not the best part of town. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a clean,friendly, and resonably priced place to stay.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fairbanks AK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2005

Most Anchorage hotels are overpriced in the summer. Not the case here.
The free phone from the airport to request pickup brought a van in just over 10 minutes. My room had a view, across the alley, of a nice residential neighborhood. The windows opened for fresh air, and there was a wall mounted air conditioner for cool air. Room was clean, good shower, lots of towels. This motel is located in Spenard, which is historically known for prostitution and massage parlors. It's being cleaned up, and there is no problem walking near the motel in the afternoon and early evening. There are several good restaurants within walking distance, but after 6PM, take a cab. When I needed to go to the airport, the van driver was not available, so the front desk called, and paid for a taxi. A class act.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Frugal_Alaskan
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2005

This hotel was clean, nothing fancy,a place to stay on the way through to Denali. Staff answered all questions. Gave directions and suggested restaurants. We had no problem with this property.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank cj725
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2005

Super 8 isn't the fanciest motel in town but it's far from the most dreary. We especially enjoyed dealing with the friendly front desk staff and drivers. It's a rare motel that will help you carry your bags to your room in this day and age and I greatly appreciated the help.

• Stayed January 2005