“nice-very friendly:-)”

Comfort Inn Ship Creek
Ranked #30 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed September 5, 2012

the hotel shuttle was quick. Cami was our driver, she is great, we really liked her. Daryl at the front,was very nice. It was a nice, quaint hotel. We had only good things to say about them. It had a really nice little breakfast bar. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were clean. Some people were complaining about the train horns, but I stayed on the train side and heard them but it didn't bother my wife or me. If you are going to Denali by train it is where you want to be. They were very helpful. I give the fifth star for their service. Book very early for the best price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ship creek side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine B, Guest Services Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you so much for your comment on Tip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Comfort Inn. We hope you stay with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Ship Creek

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Personnel on phone were great; however, the hotel seemed to have management problems.
The non-smoking room I requested had heavy smoke smell. Front desk personnel and I checked two other non-smoking rooms before we found one. I also reserved a room for son and his wife and their key opened a door to find startled occupants in it. Front desk proved a different room for my son. Then late at night, someone tried to open my son's door and it unlocked my son's door which had the security on so couldn't be completely opened.... What poor management. The new people had to go back and get a different room. I consider that 3 strikes and I would not stay there again.. even though it was very close to the railroad for our early trip the next day. (Oh, & something was wrong with the sheets and the way they seemed too short on all of our beds.. My son thought they were short sheeted.)

Room Tip: Stay away from the back entrance to the parking lot as smokers go there and the smell does come insi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to hear about the problems that you faced while staying at our property. I assure you that what you experienced is not how we run our staff and is not how our we want our guests treated. I can tell you that we have gone through great lengths to alleviate the situations that you exprienced and have gone through extensive staff training to ensure that this situation does not happen in the future. I would be happy to speak to you about these problems further as any feedback can only help us improve our preformance. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here for one night. The room was good, the staff was friendly, and they had free freshly-made cookies in the evening when I checked in! The internet connection was decent, and there was plenty of parking.

It is a little walk uphill to get to the downtown area. Additionally, it's separated from downtown by a railroad track, so you may have to wait at a crossing if a train is there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank P S

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor! We do appriciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again after our full remodel in January 2013!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel because my parents were staying there. We were driving up from Homer and had 100 pounds of fish with us driving back to our home in Fairbanks. I called once to make sure they had a freezer to store our fish. When I called to book the hotel (30 minutes later) I asked a second time, the woman asked specifically how much we had and the size of the coolers and said they could make it work. We got there and they looked at me like I was nuts, I was almost convinced I had dreamed asking until it was confirmed by the people with us! There wasn't room for a casserole dish in their freezer but less 100 pounds of fish! We confirmed before we booked this place so we'd have a place for the fish! We had to play an extra $50 to store the fish at a nearby facility. THEN my father paid for our room when they left to take the train. We did not know this and paid for the room when we checked out. Had my father not said anything once their train arrived in Fairbanks we would've DOUBLY paid for the room between the two of us. So in a nut shell...this place sucks.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kimberly H
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We were booked into this hotel as part of our Alaska Railroad package. We booked and additional two days prior to that thinking that it would be more convenient to stay in a single hotel than changing hotels before our trip. The hotel looks fine from the outside and from the lobby but the rooms are really starting to get old.
We had a one bedroom suite on the side facing the front of the hotel. The room had a strong smell of cleaner when we checked in. After we opened the windows and aired it out we could begin to sense an unpleasant odour in the main living area of the room.
The walls were dinged up and the light switches were flithy with black stains all around the switch. A piece of plastic protective corner bead on one wall fell off when I lightly bumped it.
The room was clean...but old. The breakfasts was par at best with scrambled eggs and cold sausages. Some staff were good, others acted like you were distrubing them.
The hotel is located under a busy overpass. Trains run all day/night and blow there horns directly in front of the hotel.
They do bake some nice cookies every evening and put them out in the lobby.
We had booked and additional two nights at the end of our trip but cancelled them and stayed at another hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the side facing the creek.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that you did not spend your additional two nights at our property but completely understand the reasoning. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future after our full property remodel in January 2013.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was completely taken back by how old the rooms were and the smell of room deodorizer they used was over powering. I initially thought I was getting a jacuzzi room after spending 30minutes trying to check into the room, but found I was booked into a regular room. I returned to the front desk and was given a room across the hall on the first floor. The room was hot & I had went to open the window, noticing the air conditioning next to the window I shut the window. The window did not lock & being a single woman on the first floor, I was scared. I then returned to the front desk & she placed me in a room on the 3rd floor. The smell of the room & the fact there was no place to order food after a late hour, I returned to the front desk & said I no longer want to stay at the hotel & would like a refund. I only stayed 30minutes and was told I was not going to be given a refund. I will never ever stay at a Choice Hotel again. The manager Catherine Bly was completely non accommodating & should probably rethink her choice of careers, she lack the skill it needed to be a Guest Service Manager...

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I would love to discuss these issues with you further and attempt to resolve the issues that you faced when staying at our hotel. I would ask that you please contact the hotel directly and ask for the General Manager and I would be happy to assist you. I greatly apologize for the inconveniences that you faced while at the Comfort Inn and hope that you will give us another chance to make it right. Thank you.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Staff was friendly, and was the best part of the stay. Room was clean, but small. It is situated between 2 railroad tracks (passenger trains in front and freight behind). Train noise heard through the night. We had to call maintenance for a few issues (leaking toilet, sink stopcock broken, tripped circuit breaker when 2 family members used hair dryers at one time). These were taken care of promptly. A/C unit very noisy ( we had to turn it off to sleep). Breakfast included (adequate).

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We really appriciate you taking the time to leave feedback about our hotel as good or bad, it can always help us improve! I am glad to here that our staff took care of you while you were here and we hope that you can come visit us again after our full remodel this winter! Thank you!