“Nice Views of the Mountains”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The hotel was fine for a three-night business stay. The place is a little east of the main downtown area, which is probably a plus for noise and congestion reasons. I had a room on the Sixth Street (cemetery) side, which probably avoided some of the railroad noise other reviewers mentioned. On the down side, the place can really use a major renovation--it's a bit tattered around the edges. And be prepared for big crowds at times. My impression was that there a lot of people coming from and going to cruises.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jackcatscal
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Jackcatscal,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. We really appreciate the feedback. Our goal is to improve whenever provided an opportunity to do so. I wanted to let you know we have some upgrades scheduled for the coming months. All of our desk chairs and mattresses will be replaced. Carpet is being replaced, and we are getting upgrades to our WIFI, and HDTV programming. We are excited and are sure all of our guests will appreciate and enjoy the changes.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Decent location to downtown. Picked the hotel since I could stay for free with points. Staff were nice and there was a concierge. Rooms were old and a bit run down (think popcorn ceilings).

Nice views from the club on floor 11, but the food wasn't very good. Wouldn't have paid for a club floor/access.

Probably wouldn't stay here again--unless I was using points again!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Emily M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate and value your loyalty to SPG and hope you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful state. Our goal is to improve whenever presented an opportunity to do so. I wanted to share that we are getting some upgrades in the coming months that will be great for our guests. We will be receiving all new desk chairs, mattresses and replacing guest room carpet. Additionally, we will be getting a WIFI system upgrade and a whole new HDTV package.

We hope to have the chance to show you these improvements.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've only been to Anchorage twice: once in December during another snowstorm and now in July during the height of the tourist season and one theme I have witnessed is that Anchorage is expensive. It's important not to come here, at least during the tourist season, expecting major deals. After much effort, I was able to get a room for around $200/night whereas the same room cost $99/night in the winter. The Sheraton's policy of charging for internet is SPG's policy. I've been a Platinum Member with SPG for several years and travel extensively and with that said, almost all SPG properties charge for internet access. I do think it's ridiculous but you shouldn't come and expect to have complimentary in-room access unless you have a certain level with SPG. With that said, we found the property very comfortable. It is not a new property and many aspects of the hotel can be updated, but it not horrible either. We used suite rewards to upgrade to a Junior Suite. With the heavenly sleepers, the night was guaranteed to be comfortable. The furniture is worn and the bathroom is old - but it's functional. Again, this is Anchorage, there are not many or any pristine and new hotels. The room was clean. Three of us were in the room and there were not enough power outlets. I even noticed that the Sheraton had extension cords in the room. The air conditioning worked well and those lovely black out curtains worked well when the sun did not set until almost midnight! Everything worked though I do agree that the wifi in the room is slow and dropped often and I do believe that Starwood should upgrade the internet access there. But it worked. I was not there on business so I was not as concerned with having a super fast internet but i agree, it should be upgraded! The Club Lounge is small and cold. There is nothing appealing about it but if you have Platinum access and can access the lounge as well as have breakfast in the restaurant below, go downstairs to eat! We never ate in the lounge. We just went in there for coffee and drinks. It's adequate. The breakfast downstairs is varied and appealing. The staff was very attentive and the breakfast hours are quite convenient. Parking was ample and the location is convenient to day trips. We were all happy with our stay overall - the hotel could stand renovations but it is functional and if you remember that it is not the St. Regis, you should be fine!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank citoyennea
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Citoyennea,

Thank you for choosing to staying with us again and for providing detailed feedback from your recent visit. We appreciate your great rating and comments on our clean rooms, air conditioning, black out drapes and convenient location. I am pleased to share that the property is in the midst of some nice upgrades this summer, mattresses, carpet and some of the guest room furniture are being replaced. I am sure you will be notice the nice upgrades during your next visit.

We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Beautiful lobby and comfortable room. The beds were very comfortable and we enjoyed our stay. It was a few blocks from downtown shopping but can be walked in 10-15 minutes. The food was good in the restaurant for supper and there was a large buffet for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Deborah r,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent visit to our hotel. We are so pleased to learn that you found our hotel both beautiful and comfortable. So glad you enjoyed your stay and the food in our restaurant.

We would be honored to serve as your hosts during your next trip to Anchorage.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Overall the Sheraton is a very nice place. Like most Sheraton's the facility is beautiful, however, it is so expensive! The nightly rate for a room can range up to $350 and that does not even include WiFi which is another $10/day unless you are a Starwood Member. I have a family member who works for Sheraton and her employee rate was over $200 a night, in my opinion that is insane for a hotel room.

The room is nice and they do a very good job of cleaning it every day. I have been to other hotels where it seems to take all day to get your room cleaned, however, I always arrived to it being fresh for the next evening. Beds are super comfortable and the views are wonderful.

Very nice bar, but it doesn't open until late in the afternoon. For someone who would like a midday cocktail it is not going to happen.

The gym on the 15th floor is great for a person just wanting to get a little workout in while staying here. I was on a 6 day business trip and it made it nice to burn some calories.

Banquet rooms are very nice, the food during the event is marginal at best. I wish the breakfast for 6 days would have been more then some bagels and fruit.

All in all, it is a nice place, but it is going to cost you some money!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Jason M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing exceptional feedback from your visit. We appreciate your commenting on our nice guest rooms, the great job our housekeeping staff does, the comfy beds and great views.

I will share your comments on the breakfasts during your meeting with our food/beverage and culinary teams.

We hope to serve as your hosts again very soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Well we stayed at Sheraton Anchorage for three separate nights within a week. We found the staff to be excellent and the Club Level while not like other hotels adequate. That the Club room was available 24/7 was fine since we arrived after midnight. But we enjoyed the cocktail lounge even better, the staff there especially Yong to be very efficient and caring. I also belong to SPG and a few other chain member clubs.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Roger T,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us (3 times in a week). We appreciate your patronage, and feedback very much. I will be sure to pass your comments on to our club lounge and food/beverage service teams. Our goal is to improve any time we are presented with an opportunity to do so.

I will be sure to let Yong know how much you appreciated her attentiveness, efficiency and caring attitude.

We are grateful for your loyalty to SPG & hope to have the opportunity to serve as your hosts again soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Great location - close to downtown and museum, comfy beds, clean bathroom (tub is slippery, take care!), nice gym ... the breakfast buffet is good, the seating area a bit cramped when several groups queue for breakfast. Pity the bar closes at 11 pm.

Room Tip: The first night I had a room on the 14th floor with a stunning view