“Disappointed”

Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Disappointed”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I held off on writing this review in the hopes that Sheraton would try to do something about our experience, but unfortunately the lack of management of this issue only made our impression of Sheraton worse. I originally called Corp the night we checked in and although they promised to give us a call back they never did and had the local manager email us. After our vacation I wrote a very detailed experience of exactly what had occurred because it was not acceptable. After not receiving a reply to my email for 13 days, I decided to write Corp about my experience and not receiving a reply. The next day I received a response from the local manager, never from corp, which leads me to believe they aren't concerned about customers. The response tried to justify what happened with the following: "Our hotel is unique in that we are not your typical property where check-in is at 3 and check-out is at noon. A lot of our guests are airline employees and, in the summer, tour attendees. Because of their fluctuating schedules, we constantly have guests checking in and out at all hours of the day and night " My check in time should have been 4pm that day, but a room was still not ready for me at 3 am. When I finally got one it was filthy- including fecal matter in the toilet and stains all over the carpet. I find this completely unacceptable they continue to do this to people. I've chosen to post this review because it isn't an isolated occurrence and people should be warned. I paid more to stay here based on its high ratings. I was appalled by my experience and response from Sheraton.

My email detailing my experience: I'm not sure if the complaints we addressed last night were expressed clearly to you or not, but I can assure you I felt that the situation presented to us was extreme and unacceptable in every way. I have worked in management and customer service now for over 15 years and can appreciate the gravity of online reviews, which is why I'm taking the time to write you now and clearly explain to you what happened in the hopes of a resolution to the issues and for this not to happen to others.

First, I chose the Sheraton over the Marriott based solely on how great the online reviews were. At the time of booking, being at the Sheraton meant I was spending hundreds of dollars more over the Marriott and other choices. I made the decision to pay the extra money since you were currently the highest rated hotel and I felt assured that our time there would be comfortable and we would experience cleanliness and excellent service. Sadly, this was not the case at all. I travel a decent amount and have stayed everywhere from hostels in Thailand to Ritz Carlton's and I have to say I have never experienced anything like this in my life.

After landing we got our rental car and promptly headed over to the hotel. Upon arrival we were told they didn't have a room ready for us. Seeing as how it was after midnight and we'd already paid for the entire day at the hotel this seemed very odd to me, but we were understanding and polite about it. We were told it would take 30 minutes and the front desk associate recommended we go to have a drink and relax at the Polar Club behind the hotel and she would call my cell phone when our room was ready. We had a couple drinks while waiting as patiently as we could, but exhausted as well, for the phone call that our room was ready. Half an hour passed, then an hour, and still no call. An hour and a half into our wait a random woman at the bar approached us and started telling us how she had just gotten out of jail for stabbing someone in the same bar we were at. She started crying, telling us in detail about the event and making us feel very uncomfortable. We promptly closed out our tab because I was not feeling safe in the bar that was recommended to us and headed over to the hotel. Upon arrival we found a lobby full of people waiting with their suitcases for their rooms to be available too. I checked in at the front desk to hear that our room was still not ready. An hour and a half later! She assured us it would only be 20 more minutes and to have a seat and they'd grab us as soon as the room was ready. We took a seat and again waited as 20 minutes passed, then 30 minutes. I again approached the desk and was told that they, "Didn't want us to have to wait any longer and that she had arranged for us to stay at the Marriott for no additional charge." First, when I was booking hotels, the Marriott's price was significantly lower than the Sheraton's and I chose to spend the extra money based on reviews. I understand prices fluctuate and perhaps at that exact moment the Marriott and Sheraton prices were comparable, but I didn't find this an acceptable solution. First, if I had wanted to stay at the Marriott, I would have booked the Marriott. Also, she had just sent us over to have drinks while we waited and then she was suggesting we get in the car and drive somewhere? I basically told her I was exhausted, wanted my room there and was not able to tolerate anymore for the night. I told her I didn't understand how if our supposed check in was earlier that day a room could not be ready for us at this point. She explained that you guys have a contract with cruise ships and pilots and give them extended check out hours so in theory you're double booking the rooms and making the customers paying more wait hours on end and this is just a policy you have there? I am perplexed. Anyhow, at this point magically a room was instantly ready and supposedly clean and ready to go.

We went upstairs to our room to find housekeeping in the room next door. We could hear smirking and laughing and I looked to see who it was, only to find it was the same gentleman who had been at the front desk when we first arrived and then was out back smoking and laughing with a group of people as we walked over to the bar that was recommended to us. Suddenly it seemed to make sense that the room that was supposed to be ready in 30 minutes wasn't for over 2 hours if he was indeed who was in charge of cleaning the rooms. To add insult to injury, when we walked into the room it was not clean at all. There was still fecal matter stuck to the side of the toilet, the bed was disheveled looking and there were stains all over the carpet. This is when we placed the call in regards to the room to corporate and basically received no help at all. We were told they would check in with the staff and then call us back, which never happened.

The next morning we went downstairs and had breakfast while we got together our plan for the day. I realized I'd forgotten something in the room so 20 minutes into breakfast I ran upstairs to grab it- we left the hotel room and immediately went down to eat, no stops in between- and found that our room had already been cleaned by housekeeping and was finished as far as they were concerned. Is there really that big of a discrepancy between night and day staff that a daytime housekeeper takes 20 minutes and a night housekeeper takes over 2 hours? The stains on the carpet remained, but the toilet was finally cleaned. Because I didn't want to deal with this situation while trying to have a mini vacation I decided to just deal with the given situation and enjoy the other aspects of Alaska as much as possible. Based on our reservation and other reviews I was really expecting a pleasant stay with great customer service, and was upset by the experience we had. While I always make a note of above par service, I also usually let below average service go and rarely complain, but I have to be honest with you in saying that this was a really horrible experience for me overall. With our booking it mentioned club level access or something to this effect, but when we checked in there was no mention of this. On our second to last day I inquired about it and found out that we were supposed to have been given a second key to access it and would have been provided with coffee and breakfast every morning if the front desk had given us this information. Instead we paid for breakfast and Starbucks every morning.

After checking in and being shocked by what was occurring we did go online to look at the reviews again and found that there had been several poor reviews after I'd booked the hotel complaining of very similar issues, which further upset me. It seemed that this issue had been going on for weeks without any resolve, which really leads me to believe it was not a priority of management's if it continued to happen and huge steps had not been taken to avoid the same issues. I want to believe that this is not a Sheraton issue across the board, but I couldn't believe 1. the experience we had at the rates we paid 2. that the corporate phone number we called and left a message with never returned our call 3. that the original email I received as a response was pretty unapologetic.

I'm not sure if the depth of detail wasn't conveyed properly or if these circumstances weren't viewed as being as big of a deal as I believe them to be. I have taken the time and effort to write all of this in the hopes that with the details of my experience it will be taken more seriously. I've opted to write you first instead of making an online review because of my experience in management and I believe it's fair to give management a chance to make things right and correct staffing issues without one "off" night being recorded and shared with all, but I also feel that if this really is an occurring issue others should be saved from having an experience like mine, especially with how much money we spent to stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BettysBath
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Jennifer M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit. I feel awful that you were disappointed with your stay at our hotel and that we did not do a better job of communicating with you during and after your visit. I can promise you that providing our guests with great service, and a clean, well maintained facility for our guests is a top priority. Obviously we committed a series of mistakes in your case and for that I am sincerely sorry.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our entire service team. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Took over a month to clear up an accounting issue. I talked with someone that said they would clear it up for me and after checking a month later and several phone calls I finally resolved it by going in personally. I was frustrated by the non communication. A simple returned phone call would have been nice. I will not stay at this hotel again. I don't feel that I was treated well.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Linkalive
Dear Linkalive,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review of your visit on tripadvisor. Thank you for complimenting us our guest rooms. I am very sorry to learn that you encountered a problem with our hotel accounting and that we did not do a good job of communicating with you to resolve the issue. You absolutely should not have had to come into the hotel to get it fixed. I don't blame you for being frustrated and for not feeling like you were treated well. I won't try to make any excuses on our part. We should have resolved your issue immediately and showed a sense of urgency in doing so. I feel terrible that we let you down.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about the issue, and what we could have done better. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your experience with me so that we are best able to improve.

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I wish I could give this hotel an Excellent+ rating in every category. The staff provided impeccable service and hospitality. Particularly so David Blome, Guest Experience Manager, and James who works evenings in In-Room Dining. I recommend breakfast in the Jade Room. Made-to-order omelettes, Belgian waffles, and reindeer sausage were especially yummy.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Heathmo206,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review from your visit on tripadvisor. It is great to read that you describe our hotel as "top notch" and our service impeccable. I appreciate you pointing out the exceptional service provided by Guest Experience Manager David Blome and James in our IRD department. Both are shining examples of associates who truly care about providing personal service for our guests. I will be sure to pass your compliments along. I am so glad that you enjoyed dining in Jade. Chef Jon and the culinary/service teams do a great job.

We are grateful for your patronage and willingness to share your experience with us.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Sheraton Anchorage was great for the few nights I stayed in Anchorage. It was not too far from the airport and easy to find. The lobby, spa and restaurant were lovely. The room was clean but very standard. Not at all for a romantic getaway or if you plan to spend a ton of time in the room. If you need a warm clean and comfortabe place to sleep and shower this is your best pick. The staff at the front desk was super friendly. I'd stay here again!

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear April Ann S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you had a "great" visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our "warm, clean, comfortable accommodations, super friendly staff and convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review, and receive your recommendation. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

Larchmont, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Booked two nights because we arrived at 1am on Sat and departed Sun @ 6 am. Desk staff was nice, but sleepy when we checked in.

We were upgraded to executive privileges bc of SPG account, so not a larger room, but access to lounge for bfast/snacks - always appreciated! Room faced water and was MUCH nicer than our stay about 3 years ago - bathrooms are still European small - but spotlessly clean. Also waved the cleaning in the room for 500 points, but received a $5 voucher instead?!?(Had to use onsite by checkout date...just saw that as I was cleaning out my wallet.)

Used spa - w o n d e r f u l! Peaceful. Great view of mountains. Spa Manager - You need to enforce the quiet policy - the lounge was just outside my husband's treatment room and a set of women there for a BD treat would not stop talking loudly - just rude...

We used the computer giant circle table in the lobby to do about an hours business email, etc. VERY NICE!

All in all - a solid SPG experience. Will use again for next Anchorage trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Riggingdiva,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your return visit with us. It was great to read that you saw a nice improvement from your stay 3 years ago. We appreciate your commenting on your Club Floor experience; Make a Green Choice program, Ice Spa and the cleanliness of your accommodations. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

Thanks so much for the feedback and patronage! We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Spent 2 nights in this hotel, during my visit to Alaska. Since I am a platinum SPG member, they upgraded me to a nice junior suite, and complimentary breakfast. What a nice touch! The staff were very friendly and kind. Will definitely stay here again when I visit Anchorage.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Cookiebeast,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your stay on tripadvisor. We appreciate your loyalty to SPG and are glad we could do the upgrade. Thanks too for mentioning our "kind and friendly" staff. I will be sure to share your comments/experience with our entire team.

We are grateful for your feedback, and hope to serve as your hosts again very soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

First visit to Anchorage; in town for business. The Sheraton Anchorage was pretty standard. Nothing wrong...nothing spectacular. The lobby was decently upgraded, nice fireplace, and the rooms were clean, with the Sweet Sleeper bed. Bathrooms are abysmally small, but this seems par for older hotels in the brand. The staff was friendly. Got a room on the 14th floor, which I assume was a "preferred room"; I am Starwood Gold. I appreciated the location, as we were able to walk to the 5th Ave shopping center, and several decent dining options. Still waiting on points to credit for Make A Green Choice (waived housekeeping service), even though stay credits posted immediately after check out. Would consider the property again.

Room Tip: A room on an upper floor, that overlooks the water, as opposed to the cemetery.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Adam H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our clean rooms, amazing views, friendly staff and convenient location. I sent an email this morning confirming your Make a Green Choice points have been awarded. Sorry for the delay. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.