“Comfortable spot”

Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Bethesda MD
“Comfortable spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This is where we started our vacation to Alaska. They provided a shuttle to the hotel. Room suite was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent! Situated close to the convention center and a number of very good restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear DocLeJeune,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on your spacious, comfortable room, tasty breakfast, and convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

I hope you had a great trip and enjoyed amazing Alaska.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
Kennewick, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here in May for a conference. In my experience all of the staff was attentive. The rooms are large & the bed was firm to my liking. The finishes are tired please see a picture of my desk chair attached. I tried to no avail to get advice of were to go fishing since it was my first time to Alaska. I drove down to the Kenai River but it was too early in the season. Others in our group drove down to the Seward area & they caught fish.

Room Tip: If you want to go fishing for salmon in May drive down to the Seward area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear jimgibson7,

We appreciate the opportunity to host your conference, and appreciate your taking the time to post a review of your visit. Thank you also for commenting on how comfortable your bed and room were and for the compliments to our staff. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our entire service team. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented. We are in the midst of projects to replace our desk chairs and refinishing furniture in our rooms. Thank you for letting us know about your desk chair.

Take care.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed 2 nights post cruise ship in July. We drove and they have ample, free parking. It's easy to find and the hotel is well situated in the city. No need for a car to walk to most of downtown but it is a few long blocks ~15 minute walk. Parking seems expensive in the city so we generally left the car at the hotel. Not much in immediate area.

The property takes an entire city block. It was full of cruise ship, tourist visitors from around the world and airline crew. Large lobby and very comfortable room. Curtains were black out which is great for the short summer nights.

When we were ready to leave we realized our flight out was very late at night. Seems the flights run 24 hours in ANC. Asked the desk if we could get a late check out and they kindly agreed. They even had a policy for even later checkouts. I noticed housekeepers in the hallway as late as 6pm so they must be accustomed to the late departures. This hospitality was VERY MUCH appreciated.

I liked this property and would stay again. Very comfortable.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear PGA2,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit. We appreciate your commenting on our large, comfortable rooms, great black out drapes and exceptional staff. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We booked thru orbits. This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. It's not. The place is run down. The carpets are horrible. They charged us $300 a night for a king size bed and gave us a double. Then told us there was nothing they could do about it. They didn't even bother to apologize that they didn't have a king available. Horrible value. Beware.

Dear Kimico_10 ,

Thank you for posting a review from your visit on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your experience at our hotel. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests. I feel awful that your experience has caused you to have such a poor opinion of our property and operations.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve.

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.
Lakewood, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed for one night only since the hotel had no available rooms for our entire visit in Anchorage (stayed at the Marriott for some of the days). It was not ideal for me, being a loyal Sheraton fan. However, it turned out fine since the experience at the Sheraton Anchorage was just average.
I got an empty feeling upon entering the hotel. There was no bell man or anyone greeting at the door. The reception/front desk is quite far from the hotel entrance, a bit hidden behind the staircase. I saw a couple staff members behind the coffee bar, and no smile or greeting-just a quick eye contact and they continued on with what they were doing. My first impression was that this is a not so " welcoming" Sheraton property.
The lady in the front desk was pleasant. Since I am a Gold SPG member, I asked if there is an upgrade available at the Club Level. She said it will cost me $30.00 to get an upgrade to a Club Level room since they only do the upgrades to Platinum Members. I went ahead and paid the $30.00 for better amenities in the Club Level. The Club Level room appeared to be the same as the traditional rooms.There were no slippers or robe available, no safe and size of room is smaller than traditional rooms of other Sheraton properties.The front desk lady did not inform me of other SPG Gold Benefits. I called the night front desk staff and asked for the free internet and he provided assistance.
The best part of the stay was the friendly and engaging Eric at the Club lounge and David at the front desk. They were both helpful and made the visit memorable. They provided tips on places to eat. Eric was on top of things at the Club Lounge, refilling food, restocking the refrigerator and making sure that every one in the lounge is being taken cared of. David shared some experiences on the sites and attractions in Anchorage.
The hotel location is indeed a good 15-20 minutes walk to the visitor center. Taxi cost $6.00 one way if you are not up to walking. I recommend walking the 6th ave. to F route and not the 4th ave. way especially after 9 pm. There is a mall within a 10 minute walk but good restaurants
are best reached by taking a Taxi. Taking the Taxi to the airport is about 10 minutes away and cost $20.00.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andrea63,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on tripadvisor. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our entire service team. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented. I will also share your compliments and comments with Eric and David. I agree that both are exceptional associates.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Great service from friendly staff. Parking was outdoor with no valet service, which is OK apart from check in, which involved dragging luggage through a downpour.
Room was OK, bathroom was dated & tired.
Public areas suffered from wear & year.
Bit cheeky to describe the hotel as a spa without a pool or hot tub.

Dear Hutchero,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your stay on tripadvisor. Thanks for mentioning our fair value, great service and friendly staff. I will be sure to pass your compliments on. I am sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that could have been better. Our bell staff serve as valet, I feel bad that they were not available to assist you.

I did want to clarify that while we don't have a pool or hot tub on premise we do have a full service spa on the top floor of the hotel.

Thank you so much for your feedback and patronage. We hope to have the opportunity to serve as your hosts again.

Take care.
Encinitas, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our first impressions of the Sheraton Anchorage hotel provided a somewhat mixed picture, the splendor of the jade staircase notwithstanding. The check-in procedures proceeded smoothly and efficiently and we were off to a good start. We had just stepped off the train, having enjoyed an excellent journey from Denali and were ready to see the sights of Anchorage.

The hotel's halls, elevator, and entryways were tastefully decorated and provided a welcome upbeat note, without being gaudy or excessively cheerful.

The room was of average size and the beds were comfortably firm which is a major factor for us after a long day of traveling. The bathroom seemed rather small for a hotel in this class. The room overlooked the south side. It would have been nice to have the view to the east side mountains but the orientation was quite acceptable for our purposes.

The flat screen TV in the room was of good size but the cable service left much to be desired. As a result, we ignored it, effectively making the large flat screen HDTV capability rather useless. Free wi-fi was available and we briefly took advantage of this feature.

The staff was helpful, but frequently preoccupied with other matters such as phone calls, etc. The lobby and the lobby bar both exuded a comfortable ambience, although service was somewhat slow, possibly because of a shortage of staff.

The hotel restaurant, Jade, was acceptable but otherwise not noteworthy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leonard K,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.