“Overall great experience!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Anchorage Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #24 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Chicago, Illinois
“Overall great experience!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel with all standards you would expect from SPG hotels.
Pros:
Very friendly and helpful staff
Clean and well equipped rooms
Very comfortable beds
Great Wi-Fi
Cons:
Location about 8 blocks from the center of downtown (still walking distance)

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Worldtravel1420,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our friendly, helpful staff, clean, comfortable rooms and great Wi-Fi. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
Nacogdoches, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here for five nights on points, so I would not know if it is a good deal money wise; however it is a standard Sheraton which is nothing to be ashamed of. Room has a nice size with a view of the mountains (although not all views are of the mountain- you could look out over a cemetery). Came in on a late flight and still had a room held (have had issues with other hotels)- did call ahead of time and give notice of late arrival. While I was walking down hallway to the room the noise in the hallway got louder and louder. Sounded like a plane engine (even though I know it wasn't)- so loud it drowned out the fan in the room. Went back downstairs and explained and they gave me another room that thankfully did not have the awful noise. However, now one of the elevators was stuck on the ground floor and none of the other elevators would come to ground floor. Called mechanical and got it working- I mention this since the comment was made by the hotel staff that this elevator had acted up the same way the night before. Room was quite functional- lots of countertop room in bathroom and nice sized tub/shower and quite comfortable bed. Curtains were able to black out the light at night. Cons- lots of scratches and banged up items in room (although the all worked) and the above issues make the wonder about maintenance. Alarm clock was set to go off (I turned the alarm off) and had to crawl under desk to plug in coffee machine. Extremely tight quarters between toilet and rub. Have one washer and dryer for use on 3rd floor ($1.75 to wash and $1.75 to dry, front desk has quarters). Would stay here again if got a good deal. It does add about 5-7 minutes to your walk downtown versus some closer hotels..

Room Tip: Ask for room with mountain view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear TravelTexan1,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on Trip Advisor. I very much appreciate the detailed comments about your experience staying with us. Your feedback is very important to us. Our goal is to improve whenever presented with an opportunity to do so.

Thank you again for allowing us to serve as your hosts when you are in Anchorage. It was great to read that you would come back and stay with us again. If you do return to Anchorage it would be a true pleasure to have you as our guest.

vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you are planning a meeting in Anchorage this is the place to be. The condition of the hotel rooms and meeting rooms are great and well appointed. The staff on the other hand are not that friendly, they are there to do their job but not anything extra, like a smile. I checked in at 2 in the afternoon and there was someone sleeping in my bed, went back down to the front desk and they just said oh! and moved me to a room 5 stories lower without a sorry we downgraded your view and sorry about the mistake. I spoke to others clients about this and they had done that to 3 other rooms also, so open your door slowly and check before you enter. I stayed a the Sheraton in Puerto Rico 2 months ago and this hotel in Anchorage is far superior in cleanliness and style. It must be the two months without sun that gets to the staff.

Room Tip: Open the door slowly in case someone else is in the room I think all rooms are the same in design...
1 Thank VancouverCraig
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear VancouverCraig,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review from your visit. I appreciate your comments about our meeting capabilities, and the condition and cleanliness of our guest rooms. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay and interaction with some of our team members were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our front desk management and team members. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented. I feel awful that your experience was not what it should have been.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

Jon Kranock - GM

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I try to be fair in these reviews (see my other ones). I travel a lot and am very familiar with hotels. I don;t expect perfect, but I praise hotels that make an effort... The Sheraton Anchorage didn't even try to meet my expectations.

I was there for a 4 day conference. The problems started at check-in. I noticed on my confirmation there were some errors, so I called well in advance to correct them. When I arrived, they still had my reservation wrong (dates & rates). At least I got the correct bed type... multiple people attending the conference got wrong room types. I will say the staff at check-in was great about fixing issues.

Got to the room, it was FILTHY! Stains on the carpet, damaged furniture, sticky stains on the dresser, broken drain in the bathroom, it looked like they didn't care about the quality of the room. I read theotehr reviews here, so maybe I just got a bad room. but it was B.A.D. (Check out the photos I took... yuk!) To be fair I have to say that the bed was VERY comfortable, but it didn't make up for the other misses.

The service was horrendous. After starting off well a the front desk, things deteriorated throughout the stay. Multiple quickly. I had to visit the front desk on multiple occassions and was left waiting every time. Most of the time staff was either talking on cell phone or to other staff. 1 time they left me waiting for over 10 minutes while they finished a conversation about the weather with teh bellman. Staff in the lounge acted like they were doing us a favor by serving us. They were slow and whenever we needed anything we had to go find them. During the conference they put out coffee stations with paper starbucks cups without lids. When we inquired about lids we were told there weren't any (they had a Strbucks in lobby). Only after talking with a banquet manager did that get resolved.

To top it all off, they were having issues with the heating / cooling systems. Meeting rooms were well over 80 degrees, uncomfortable for all. Originally there was no reaction from staff, but after being prodded by us, they open exterior doors and pointed big floor fans into meeting rooms (it was 50's outside).

So to summarize, room, service, meeting rooms, F&B all disappointed. I would never go back. I'm sure the Sheraton standards are not being met here. If you're going to Anchorage you can find WAY better for the $.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear I3putt2,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to learn that we did not provide to the level of service which you expected and for which we are known. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered while staying at our property. I feel terrible that we let you down. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests.

I will share your experience and comments with our entire team (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can learn from our mistakes, become a stronger team and improve our product/services.

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Belize City, Belize
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in Anchorage for business but we took two days for sight seeing. On the first day we consulted with the concierge about possible tours and the gentleman was very helpful in giving us information that was very useful. He proceeded to tell us that the best tour is the Whale excursion and even offered to booked the tour for 5 of us. He assured us that he would make it happen and we were impressed with him. When went to our tours in the city and totally enjoyed the city. People were very friendly. upon our return I hit the gym as my normally routine and around 6p.m. return to the front desk to inquirre what time our tour leaves tomorrow morning just to find out that the concierge got all the information but never booked the tour. He stated he needed our credit card. He had asked for phone numbers and e-mail from us before leaving which were provided but he never called us. after 6p.m. the tour companies close and we were in panic how to book the tour and the train passage since that was the last day we could do the tour. He was in a panic mood for 1 hr running like crazy trying to find a solution after he had completed messed up our tour. My groups emotion changed after hearing that we might not be doing the whale cruise after all and might have to hang around the hotel next day. Lucky his manager came to the rescue and found a way to book the tour. we were 1 1/2 hr late for our dinner appointment and the entire evening was a different tone with the group.
The furniture of this hotel needs some help as well.

Dear TedTejada,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. I want to sincerely apologize for the difficulty we caused setting up the tour you asked for help with, and for any miscommunication. I am glad that our Director of Rooms was able to step in & get something set up for you and your party. I feel bad that your evening’s plans were interfered with while arrangements were being made.

I can promise you that we do learn from our mistakes. I have already shared your experience and comments with our entire management team (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can grow as an organization and learn not to repeat our errors. Thank you also for pointing out the issues with the furniture in your room. We are currently undergoing a furniture refinishing process in all of our rooms which will have everything looking like brand new by the end of this month.

We appreciate your choosing to stay with us. I am very sorry we let you down.

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed one night waiting to fly out after a cruise.This downtown hotel is in a fairly sad grotty area of the town and is seemingly surrounded by many empty featureless car parks areas, which may be a general feature of Anchorage.

Our room was adequate but not entirely clean ( quite dusty) and the hallway carpet needed cleaning.The beds were very comfortable.

Our reception experience was okay but our request to dine in the restaurant was not possible as it was not open due to the'season' not started yet. Our chicken meal in the bar area was however good and we did really enjoy the accompanying fresh vegetables that are often lacking in North American restaurant meals.

The breakfast was fairly ordinary with a buffet with a limited selection of hot and cold dishes plus some confusion from the waitress about our voucher only catering for one person( there were two of us and we had already checked on checkin that this voucher was adequate for both).

As a Sheraton hotel this one is definitely at the lower end of their usual standards.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Auswalkers
Dear Auswalkers,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor from your visit. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our housekeeping and food/beverage service & culinary teams. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented. I feel awful that your experience was not what it should have been.

Thank you for your feedback.

Jon Kranock - General Manager

jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com

907-343-3143 (direct)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights prior to a cruise & on Club floor (11th) . I really liked this hotel as whilst it is still a part of a big chain hotel ( & therefore you can be assured of a certain standard) the staff were personable & extremely friendly and it had a nice relaxed atmosphere. Both myself and the people I were travelling with later remarked on what a nice 'feel' the hotel had. We appreciated the fact that the hotel had 'personality' and the staff really need to be commended for their personalised approach. Arrived quite late around midnight & there was a mix up at checkin whereby I was given a room with someone already in it - didn't bother me too much as these things happen & when I went back down to reception the night manager was genuinely extremely apologetic & and as token of apology comped me a few small items from the gift shop when I went to purchase them - I appreciated the fact he didn't just follow 'standard procedure & go through the motions which a lot of service providers seem to do nowadays. We had a fire evacuation due to a false alarm around 2am whilst I was there & when everyone went back inside the hotel opened up their service elevators to get guests back to their rooms asap. Heard some people grizzling but they should be blaming the clown who was apparently smoking in their room rather then the hotel staff who we thought handled it effeciently ( can't imagine the hotel had a lot of staff on duty at that hour so thought they did a great job!) The location is on the edge of the city centre but from the brief look I got of anchorage it is quite spread out anyway but also quite small so no big drama. The rooms are extremely spacious, the bathrooms were a bit tired but adequate. Lovely fire in the lobby with free wi-fi & terminals. Ate in the bar area to the side of the check-in desk because the restaurant was closed - the meal was great, service friendly etc. The only suggestion I would make is that they don't have late room service and for those that arrive into Anchorage late at night after a long day of travelling your options for a meal are nil so maybe extending their room service hours to 1am etc would be great. Overall remember this is Anchorage ( not a major hub/city ) & appreciate that personalised service and you will be happy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Milkythemouse,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on Trip Advisor. I am so very happy that both you and your traveling companions enjoyed staying with us during your visit to Anchorage. Thank you for the compliments on the "feel" of the hotel and on the exceptional, personalized service you received from our team members. It's so nice to know that you had a nice/relaxing time in our Ptarmigan Bar, and enjoyed the food/experience. Sorry about the hiccup with the front desk.

I very much appreciate the detailed comments and the suggestions offered. Our goal is to improve whenever presented with an opportunity to do so.

Thank you again for allowing us to serve as your hosts when you are in Anchorage. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.