“Mediocre service.”

Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Belize City, Belize
“Mediocre service.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in Anchorage for business but we took two days for sight seeing. On the first day we consulted with the concierge about possible tours and the gentleman was very helpful in giving us information that was very useful. He proceeded to tell us that the best tour is the Whale excursion and even offered to booked the tour for 5 of us. He assured us that he would make it happen and we were impressed with him. When went to our tours in the city and totally enjoyed the city. People were very friendly. upon our return I hit the gym as my normally routine and around 6p.m. return to the front desk to inquirre what time our tour leaves tomorrow morning just to find out that the concierge got all the information but never booked the tour. He stated he needed our credit card. He had asked for phone numbers and e-mail from us before leaving which were provided but he never called us. after 6p.m. the tour companies close and we were in panic how to book the tour and the train passage since that was the last day we could do the tour. He was in a panic mood for 1 hr running like crazy trying to find a solution after he had completed messed up our tour. My groups emotion changed after hearing that we might not be doing the whale cruise after all and might have to hang around the hotel next day. Lucky his manager came to the rescue and found a way to book the tour. we were 1 1/2 hr late for our dinner appointment and the entire evening was a different tone with the group.
The furniture of this hotel needs some help as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear TedTejada,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. I want to sincerely apologize for the difficulty we caused setting up the tour you asked for help with, and for any miscommunication. I am glad that our Director of Rooms was able to step in & get something set up for you and your party. I feel bad that your evening’s plans were interfered with while arrangements were being made.

I can promise you that we do learn from our mistakes. I have already shared your experience and comments with our entire management team (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can grow as an organization and learn not to repeat our errors. Thank you also for pointing out the issues with the furniture in your room. We are currently undergoing a furniture refinishing process in all of our rooms which will have everything looking like brand new by the end of this month.

We appreciate your choosing to stay with us. I am very sorry we let you down.

Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed one night waiting to fly out after a cruise.This downtown hotel is in a fairly sad grotty area of the town and is seemingly surrounded by many empty featureless car parks areas, which may be a general feature of Anchorage.

Our room was adequate but not entirely clean ( quite dusty) and the hallway carpet needed cleaning.The beds were very comfortable.

Our reception experience was okay but our request to dine in the restaurant was not possible as it was not open due to the'season' not started yet. Our chicken meal in the bar area was however good and we did really enjoy the accompanying fresh vegetables that are often lacking in North American restaurant meals.

The breakfast was fairly ordinary with a buffet with a limited selection of hot and cold dishes plus some confusion from the waitress about our voucher only catering for one person( there were two of us and we had already checked on checkin that this voucher was adequate for both).

As a Sheraton hotel this one is definitely at the lower end of their usual standards.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Auswalkers
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Auswalkers,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor from your visit. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our housekeeping and food/beverage service & culinary teams. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented. I feel awful that your experience was not what it should have been.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

Thank you for your feedback.

Jon Kranock - General Manager

jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com

907-343-3143 (direct)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights prior to a cruise & on Club floor (11th) . I really liked this hotel as whilst it is still a part of a big chain hotel ( & therefore you can be assured of a certain standard) the staff were personable & extremely friendly and it had a nice relaxed atmosphere. Both myself and the people I were travelling with later remarked on what a nice 'feel' the hotel had. We appreciated the fact that the hotel had 'personality' and the staff really need to be commended for their personalised approach. Arrived quite late around midnight & there was a mix up at checkin whereby I was given a room with someone already in it - didn't bother me too much as these things happen & when I went back down to reception the night manager was genuinely extremely apologetic & and as token of apology comped me a few small items from the gift shop when I went to purchase them - I appreciated the fact he didn't just follow 'standard procedure & go through the motions which a lot of service providers seem to do nowadays. We had a fire evacuation due to a false alarm around 2am whilst I was there & when everyone went back inside the hotel opened up their service elevators to get guests back to their rooms asap. Heard some people grizzling but they should be blaming the clown who was apparently smoking in their room rather then the hotel staff who we thought handled it effeciently ( can't imagine the hotel had a lot of staff on duty at that hour so thought they did a great job!) The location is on the edge of the city centre but from the brief look I got of anchorage it is quite spread out anyway but also quite small so no big drama. The rooms are extremely spacious, the bathrooms were a bit tired but adequate. Lovely fire in the lobby with free wi-fi & terminals. Ate in the bar area to the side of the check-in desk because the restaurant was closed - the meal was great, service friendly etc. The only suggestion I would make is that they don't have late room service and for those that arrive into Anchorage late at night after a long day of travelling your options for a meal are nil so maybe extending their room service hours to 1am etc would be great. Overall remember this is Anchorage ( not a major hub/city ) & appreciate that personalised service and you will be happy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Milkythemouse,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on Trip Advisor. I am so very happy that both you and your traveling companions enjoyed staying with us during your visit to Anchorage. Thank you for the compliments on the "feel" of the hotel and on the exceptional, personalized service you received from our team members. It's so nice to know that you had a nice/relaxing time in our Ptarmigan Bar, and enjoyed the food/experience. Sorry about the hiccup with the front desk.

I very much appreciate the detailed comments and the suggestions offered. Our goal is to improve whenever presented with an opportunity to do so.

Thank you again for allowing us to serve as your hosts when you are in Anchorage. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Kamloops, Bc
Reviewed May 23, 2013

There for conference. Great service in meeting rooms and Desk staff. Their restaurant was closed for dinner which was strange. rooms were spacious and good wifi.

Getting up at 3:30 am and it is still light outside was different!

Dear TimRodgers,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. I am so glad you had a nice visit. Thanks for commenting about our spacious guest rooms, great WIFI, and the exceptional service provided by our team members at the desk & our conference/banquet associates. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

I hope you enjoyed the conference & found it very beneficial.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stay at the Sheraton about 15-20 nights a year. It's a comfortable hotel that caters to a broad array of travellers. It's a little on the edge of downtown. This makes it a little quieter than the cook or the Marriott but it is an extra 5 minute walk to downtown attractions.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Alaskanabroad,

Thank you for making us your home away from home when in Anchorage, and for posting a review from your last visit on Trip Advisor. I am so very happy that you enjoy our hotel and have had such positive experiences staying with us. Thanks too for commenting on how comfortable you are staying with us. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment. It's nice to hear back from guests that we are doing a good job.

I will be sure to share your comments/compliments with our entire team.

We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Thank you again for your patronage and loyalty.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We are staying overnight here at sheraton as of this writing. More than 2hours have passed since the fire alarm went off and I'm stll wide awake from the frightful experience. I wonder why the announcement wasn't made in English first? I thought it's our wake up call. Good thing it's a false alarm, and none of the guests panicked while filing out of the hotel through the fire exit.
I'm depressed when I realize that our room faces the cemetery, and now this fire incident happened. Can anything get worse on a holiday trip?
We are coming back in a few days for an overnight stay again for our return trip. I hope it will be a better experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank tansally
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Tansally,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your stay on TripAdvisor. I am truly sorry that your sleep was disturbed by the fire alarm.

Unfortunately we had an incident of vandalism and thankfully there was no emergency present. I fully understand your concern and I too am very pleased that the evacuation was calm and without incident.

The automated announcements are made in multiple languages. The first announcement is always in English, I am not sure why you didn't hear it. The system operated as it was intended and programmed. I do understand that an alarm in the middle of the night could be frightening and disruptive. I am so sorry that your stay was impacted.

I know from reading your review that you are intending to return to our property soon. I would like to have the opportunity to make sure you have an amazing stay and to try to make up for this past visit. Please contact me directly so that I can block a room with an amazing view of the Chugach range. I would also like the opportunity to meet you so that I might apologize in person for the inconvenience from your last visit.

See you soon.

Jon Kranock -General Manager
907-343-3143 (direct)
jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I normally don't review chains because they tend to be predictable. The Sheraton Anchorage however deserves comment. I hadn't stayed here in a number of years so what seems new to me may not be so new. However, when you walk in the front door you are welcomed by a nicely appointed lobby. There is a gas fireplace that is lit and welcoming. They have a nice business room with computers/printers etc. available for use just off the lobby. The bars offer inexpensive wine tastings with a good selection of decent wines available to taste. You get a small taste for $5 which is nice because you can sample a couple before ordering a glass. The rooms are normal although the bathrooms are a bit cramped. The beds are exceptionally comfortable and that is of course the primary reason you stay in a hotel - right? Easy parking is available. This is a worthy hotel in downtown Anchorage.

Room Tip: If you can manage an upgrade to the SPG club floor try to do so.