“Rude guy at the front desk”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I arrived on the train from Denali in the evening and was told my room wasn't ready yet and that I could wait in the lobby. However, I had booked a club room so I asked for the key to the club level so I could wait in that lounge. Then he said he would give me a key to the club lounge and he also said a room just became available.

I was satisfied with my room and Eric in the club lounge was very helpful and while he was restocking things, I talked to him and he suggested a number of interesting things for me to see in Anchorage. The guy working in the morning in the lounge was also very nice. However, one night one guy just walked up to the door and started banging on it without even trying his key. At first we ignored him but when he kept banging, someone let him in and he said that his key didn't work but he hadn't even tried it.

I had a late night flight so after checking out I stayed in the club lounge but then after a while decided to go wait in the lobby. I was about to ask reception to call for a taxi for me but first wanted to use the bathroom. When I walked over to use the bathroom, Shane at reception asked me whether I was a guest at the hotel and I said yes. Then he said he wanted to see my room key and I said I had already checked out and was just waiting in the lobby for my flight. I am fairly that Shane was also the guy who checked me in. He didn't apologize at all for his rude behavior and then when I came out of the bathroom, I asked him because he was the only person at reception at the time to call a taxi for me. Then fifteen minutes later I went to check on when the taxi was coming and found out Shane hadn't called for a taxi at all and his excuse was, he thought there was already one there. But if he thought that then why didn't he let me know there was already a taxi waiting. Fortunately at that time there was another guy at reception and he was much more competent and called a taxi for me and let me know when it arrived. Except for Shane, the people working there were very professional. It's such a shame there are people like Shane at that Sheraton.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sigulda158
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Sigulda158,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, were comfortable and found the majority of our team members professional. I am truly sorry for the interaction with our team member at the end of your stay. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained facility. It is obvious from reading your review you did not receive the respect and level of service you deserve. I feel just awful about that.

I promise that I will share your experience and comments with our entire team and especially with the team member you mentioned (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can all learn, grow and improve.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope that we can serve as your hosts again very soon.

Take care.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very pedestrian as far as Starwood properties are concerned. Spa was nice though. Definitely need to work on cleanliness of their restaurant and the quality of food. Room was just okay. Service was fine.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Nick F,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service, and a clean, well maintained property. I am sorry that your experience can only be described as okay. Thank you for pointing out that the Ice Spa is very nice and that the service was fine.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our management and service teams. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Had a great and comfy room, excellent tomato bisque in their restaurant Jade, and friendly staff at Ice spa. Beautiful view. The spa uses premium products and take their time to exceed your expectations.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Lolatennessee,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am very happy that you enjoyed your visit with us. Thank you for describing your room as "great" and comfy", for noting that you appreciated the views, and enjoyed the tomato bisque in Jade. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing an exceptional guest experience and a clean, well maintained property.

I totally agree with your comments about Ice Spa. The skills of the team members, coupled with the exceptional products make the experience totally amazing.

Thank you again for allowing us to serve as your hosts when you are in Anchorage.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We recently stayed at the Sheraton in anchorage recently. Our flight was cancelled and the airline put us up there for the night. The hotel had a nice update decor. The desk staff were very nice and took care of all our needs. We ate in one of the restaurants in the hotel. The food was very good as well as the service. The best part was the bed. The pillows and the linens were great. We were on the 14 th floor and we had a great view of the mountains. You could see mount McKinley off in the distance. It is also located close to downtown so you can walk most places. I would highly recommend the Sheraton to anyone staying in Anchorage.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin D
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Kevin D,

Sorry to hear your flight was cancelled, but I glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us regardless of the inconvenience of the flight cancellation. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay on TripAdvisor. I am very happy that you enjoyed your short visit with us. It's so nice to know that you found our hotel decor attractive and the room so comfortable. Thank you for noting that your enjoyed your meal in Jade and appreciated the service provided by our team members. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing an exceptional guest experience and a clean, well maintained property.

I too am a huge fan of the views from our rooms. I could spend the day marveling at the views - especially on a clear day!

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel was clean and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Unfortunately the night of our stay was a bad storm and the towns power went out. It was out all night and part of the next morning which made getting ready difficult, but I can't hold them responsible for the outage. There is not a separate vanity area from the bathroom. The breakfast was really good with a good selection. The hotel is in a good location for walking the city. There is street noise on the street side but a nice view so you have to decide if you want a view you'll have to adapt to the noise.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Loves2laugh29

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. Wow, that city wide power outage was something else. I am very happy that you enjoyed your visit with us...even without power! It's so nice to know that you found our hotel clean and our staff friendly and accommodating. Thanks too for mentioning the great selection on our breakfast buffet, and our convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing an exceptional guest experience and a clean, well maintained property.

We are grateful for the opportunity to serve as your hosts, and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I spent two nights at the Sheraton as part of a business trip to Anchorage in August. The room was clean and comfortable; we were also upgraded to have club access, which was fantastic. Great view, free coffee and snacks, comfortable couches, the whole nine yards. The hotel was beautiful, and we enjoyed several drinks downstairs (and had a great time talking to the bartender, who was absolutely hilarious). The staff as a whole was incredibly helpful, and Mary in particular was wonderful. I didn't get a chance to check out either the swimming pool or spa, which is why I left them unrated, but all in all we had an absolutely great stay and I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Brittany K,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review from your stay on TripAdvisor. I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. Thank you for pointing out how clean and comfortable your room was & for noting the exceptional experience you had as a club level guest. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained facility for our guests. It's great to know that you found our staff so incredibly helpful and personable. I will be sure to pass your compliments on.

We are grateful to have been able to serve as your hosts during your visit to Anchorage. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here Twice this past month. Great, helpful staff. Rooms clean, great views; got upgraded to club level room - superb experience. A bit farther than other hotels from central downtown but still walkable (in summer)

• Stayed: September 2012
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Marc B,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your last 2 trips to Anchorage, and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am so glad both visits were good for you. Thanks for commenting on our fantastic team members and clean rooms. All of us on the team of the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests. It is gratifying to receive such an exceptional rating. Thank you.

I will be sure to share your detailed comments and compliments with our team. We are grateful for feedback and do our best to learn from the experiences and suggestions of our guests.

Thank you again for your patronage. I hope that we might meet in person during your next visit.