“Located in a convenient location”

Best Western Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel is located near the New Seward Highway and is good for those planning on taking trips to Seward/Denali, etc. However, that being said, traffic does tend to back up near the hotel so take that into account if you are traveling during rush hour. The hotel has no free breakfast, but it does have a decent restaurant and bar. It also, strangely, has a beauty salon. I stayed on the first floor and the only real negative is that the hotel was quite dark. Other than that, I slept fine and the room was clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fornit
Lisa M, General Manager at Best Western Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your input as we make improvements at the hotel it helps us determine what the guest needs are. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I would like to share with you that we agree with you on the issue of the hotel being dark in the hallways. We are getting ready to do a complete remodel of the lobby, corridor's, and guest rooms. in an effort to make the hallways brighter and more welcoming we are changing the color scheme and also adding LED lighting to help brighten them up.

If you are ever in Anchorage. Alaska again I hope that you would stay with us again to see the new upgrades we are making.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Golden Lion Hotel

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family and I passed through anchorage on the way to and from Denali and Homer. We had laundry to wash, and needed a comfortable place to stay. It's not the prettiest hotel in Anchorage, but the staff are fantastic. They loaned us their personal phone charger when we needed one, and the laundry room was conveniently located. Modest in size, the hotel is very easy to access. I will stay here the next time were in town. Very nice staff and management.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leoleoleoleo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you for a guest again if you are ever in Anchorage.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Overall, this Best Western was on par with other Best Westerns. It has a ho-hum restaurant. For the rate we paid, I would have prefered an included continental breakfast that most other BWs provide. A bit outside city center so you'll need transportation to get downtown. We'd just finished a cruisetour and so had a lot of baggage between my 70+ mother and myself. When the staff saw this, they took ALL of it to our room for us and then helped us take it to the car the next morning!!!! Excellent customer service!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Jennifer S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for doing a review for us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your comments about the staff and I will be sure to pass them along. I hope you enjoyed your time in Alaska.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Odd vehicle at front with signage saying boycott Anchorage HIlton and Sheraton. Reception check in was poor and slow. Hallways smelled old and stale. Room was a fair size and basically comfortable. There was some road noise in early morning. Its an older hotel from the 1970s

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BrisbaneNewDad
Lisa M, General Manager at Best Western Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. I would like to apologize for any issues you had at the hotel. Please know I will be addressing them with staff. The car that was out front was a patron at the restaurant and it is unfortunate how people sometimes express there displeasure for a business. You are right in the fact that our hotel was built in 1977 but we are constantly doing upgrades in an effort to stay updated. Last year we replaced all the windows in the building and remodeled the outside. We are a highway property so unfortunately we can hear the traffic from time to time. Again we always welcome all comments and concerns so we can continue to make improvements.
Have a great day,

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a king size bed, and it was very comfortable. We both got a good night's sleep. The room was clean and spacious and the bed had good pillows. Food in the restaurant was good, including the pork chop and fettucini. There is no shuttle to the airport or downtown. The cab ride to the airport will cost you about $20. And there's no coffee in the lobby, which would be nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gaminwoman
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel is a great value for the price. It is conveniently located between downtown and the airport. The staff is attentive and the food quality at the restaurant was a pleasant surprise. I was looking for affordable, convenient, and safe lodging and the Golden Lion filled the bill. The hotel is ageing, but is well maintained and clean. In the future I will stay here again. It is centrally located to shopping, many dining options.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kndesigns

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review for us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. In your future stays you will see the improvements we are making. In the next few months we will be replacing all of or public space carpet, new guest room furniture, and remodeling our front desk and lobby. So we look forward to having you as our guest in the future and if I can be of any assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I would like to start off by saying the room was great and most of the staff was friendly.
The lobby and other areas of the hotel appear a bit worn out. If it wasn't for what appeared to be an influx of transients when I stayed, I would maybe consider a higher rating. I'm not typically bothered by fellow guests in hotels, but there was something off during my stay.

I tried to use the exercise room one night, but found that a very young couple with two kids had camped in the exercise room while they were doing laundry. The smell was unbearable. The second night wasn't much better. My third night, I opted not to exercise.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business