“Basic but nice enough”

Best Western Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was on a group booking so got a discount on the tariff so for what I paid it was reasonable etc. I would have possibly been disappointed if I paid the advertised tariff. The no breakfast thing is tricky because you are a bit far from civilisation to get to other options quickly so buying in the hotel restaurant is the next best option - its not too bad but be ready for American meals - what has the same name as back home may be very different in this hotel (and America generally) and expect lots of sauce! No one seems to be around to help carry baggage, not matter how big it is. Reception staff were lovely and I found them very helpful on local attractions. The construction was in full swing when I was there but spent most time out of my room.

Room Tip: There are rooms away from the road, but again check if the construction is continuing if you plan to...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bobkate12333
There are newer reviews for Best Western Golden Lion Hotel

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just stayed here for the night. There was construction going on. No breakfast - not even continental. You had to buy in the restaurant. The room was basic, slightly larger than what I had expected. The service was ok. When I had to lug my suitcases, a couple of guys from the working staff just stood and watched! Would have been nice to offer to help, even if I could have refused anyway! But then again.. it is a Best Western!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Easy_Traveler_10
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Spent 3 nights there.
This is the only BW I know which doesn't have breakfast included, but still charging $200 per night. Also no pool/hot tub.
The room was spacious, beds comfortable, no problems with the service.
They keep it very warm inside, so we had to use AC all the time.

Also they have construction going outside now between 8am-4pm, so don't plan on sleeping at that time.
And be careful driving out from the parking lot.

Room Tip: East side - away from the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Peterhoff
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Even while being renovated, the staff worked hard to keep everything clean. The front desk was VERY helpful in accommodating us as we kept adding nights on.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Liebchen4John
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Building is poorly built and we could hear guests above us walking. At 9 am maids began their rounds by talking loudly to each other in the corridor. No pool. No view. Lousy location. Terrible parking. Won't be back. And will never use Hotwire again.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here make SURE you are on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie C
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised. I had read other reviews and was a little worried. They are residing the building but it did not effect our room. The room was very clean and large enough for my family to be comfortable. The staff was so nice and accommodated all of our request. They did not have continental but the restaurant was very good. Would deffinately stay here again if we ever get to go back to Alaska.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank rgore
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We weren't advised of construction when we booked (yes we booked directly). No Continenal Breakfast as there is one of those limited menu restauarants on site. The door squeeked LOUDLY when we opened it and the dresser drawers wouldn't stay closed. It's hard to believe the maids hadn't had them fixed.....impossible not to notice either. On the plus side the hotel will look nice on the exterior then the construction is finished.

Room Tip: Plan on spending thr extra $15-$20 for breakfast as there is nothing real close.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family