All reviewsslippery salmonattached restaurantroom was cleanthe free shuttle serviceone night staydowntown anchorageclose to downtownalaska railroadfront desk staffcomplimentary breakfastchad
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The staff was very pleasant. There were many things to like. The breakfast - cooked to order - which you received a 3.00 discount per person was very good. Nice restaurant for breakfast. The complimentary breakfast didn't look so good. Take the discount and buy yourself a nice Alaskan breakfast.

Room was adequate except for the mattress - which is a pretty big deal in my book. It needed to be replaced. I didn't wake up with a back ache though. I would probably stay there again if the price was right. I stayed on Wyndham points. If I had paid a hundred and a half my review would look different. Value would not have been there though I admit Anchorage in the summertime can be void of any sort of value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Pros: the staff, without exception, driver, desk, breakfast, maintenance, cleaning people all were VERY friendly, polite, and went above and beyond to make us comfortable.

Cons: the room. Too much money for the room. Uncomfortable beds, noisy and inefficient air conditioner.

Fortunately the breakfast and staff were wonderful. Would I stay there again? Not sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a 60s era building. An attempt has been made to polish it up. While clean and recently painted, it's still showing its age. Location is central but a couple of blocks away from the heart of town.
Our room on the second floor was utilitarian to the max. No closet, so all the usual gadgets - iron, ironing board, etc were just heaped in a corner under a coat rack. Room had a fridge, microwave, dvd player etc which was great but all this was just piled on one side of the room - hugely cluttered. Additional power outlets had been installed by running an industrial grade electrical conduit into the room. Downright ugly. Bed was OK but not great, bathroom was spacious and clean.
Major issue was the window and ventilation. I am overlooking the lack of AC - it's Alaska - but there is a good part of the year where you may need cool air. Our room was on the second floor and the window had a ledge outside that led downwards - easy to climb up. There was a stick in the window to wedge it shut but basically there was no security possible once you opened the window even a crack. Room looked out onto the outdoor bar. Loud music which was turned down fairly early, but no privacy if the window was open - room had heavy drapes but no sheers.
If you did open the window, the area is next to a busy highway and noise was considerable.
Bottom line - this place may be OK in winter, and it's livable if you arrive late and don't have options.....but I would try hard to avoid it if I had the flexibility to shop around.

Room Tip: Beware second floor rooms if you arrive at a time of year when you may need to open the window.
2  Thank crs1026
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had selected this hotel because it was reasonably priced, for Anchorage & its location. I had assumed that the Ramada name guaranteed certain standards. Obviously not. The location is in Downtown but not the sort of Downtown one felt happy about walking in late at night so no advantage for that. It also backed on to a transport depot & the railway stockyards which meant on one of our nights a continuous noise from trains going through. The staff were reasonably efficient & polite & the airport shuttle worked OK. The main problem was that although clean the hotel is desperately tired & in need of renovation. One example, instead of window locks a wooden batten to jam the sliding window shut another was holes drilled in the walls for pipes but not finished & sealed. The first two nights we had the complementary breakfast which was fine not de-luxe by any imagination, but adequate. On our return it was about halved in selection in, what I am sure was an attempt to get you to pay to eat in the restaurant attached to the hotel. To pre-empt the question why did you not find an alternative? We were on holiday did not want the hassle and first & foremost although tired it was clean.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was by far the worse place we stayed while we were in Alaska. We were on the second floor and there was a plank of wood that was used to lock the sliding window. The bed sagged horribly as did my back by the next morning.

I don't know much about Anchorage, but the location appeared a bit iffy.

I am very surprised that this is rated so highly. It was a very uncomfortable night. I was happy to be up and out of there by 4:00 a.m. With that said, we didn't have any breakfast so I can't comment on it.