“Horrendous Customer Service”

Ranked #37 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Horrendous Customer Service”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I had planned a weekend trip to Anchorage to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary. When booking the hotel, I made sure to select a room with one King Size bed. Upon arrival, we were told no King rooms were available and were put into a room with two double beds instead, with no apology or explanation. The staff at the check-in desk were flippant, rude and clearly not concerned about whether or not we had an enjoyable experience. I certainly didn't want to spend a weekend celebrating my anniversary by experiencing life as a 1950's sitcom couple.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cara H
Kevin B, General Manager at Westmark Anchorage, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Cara,

Please let me say how sorry I am for the poor service we seem to have provided you, I have spoken to our Front Office Manager to follow up with his team to see why we were not able to provide you with the room you asked for. While we sometimes do have a challange of putting people in the rooms they want it is not always possible when the Hotel is full, however our team is supposed to do what ever they can to rectify a situation where one of our guests is not happy and this does not appear to be the case. I would like to ask that you call me so that we can have you come back again and ensure that you have a wonderful night with us.

Kevin Batters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We spent three nights at the end of May, rather noisy as it is on one of Anchorage main streets, but in a very good location as we were within walking distance of good restaurants and other attractions. The room was in good condition, the carpet need some attention.
The staff are very friendly and attentive. We didn't try the dining room as the hotel is right across two great restaurants, the Glacier brewehouse and Orso where we had two excellent dinners.
All in all if we ever go back to Anchorage we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the higher floors for less street traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin B, General Manager at Westmark Anchorage, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Stan

Thank you for your very kind comments, we do get a lot of people stay with us because of the convenience of our location in central downtown Anchorage and then remark on how well they were treated and cared for by our Staff. It was our pleasure to have been your home away from home while you were here.

New Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2013

During a Holland America Alaskan tour, and after a miserable eight hour train ride, we were given a very nice king suite. Or so it seemed until we tried to go to sleep around midnight. This room, on the 14th floor, has two balconies with that entire side of the room being all glass and facing a downtown street. You would think that being so high up noise would not be an issue but at one in the morning it was terrible. I moved into the living room to make use of the couch in an attempt to get farther away from the glass (only 24 inches separates the glass door from the foot of the bed), but someone was running a vacuum cleaner in the hall. The vacuum turned out to be an ice machine that ran constantly. In order to get any sleep I had to unplug the ice machine and ended up sleeping on couch cushions on the floor in the bathroom doorway. It was the quietest spot I could find.

The restaurant served up a breakfast buffet for eighteen dollars. The plates were ice cold and, except for the potatoes, the food was cold as well.

Room Tip: You'd be better off touring on your own and choosing your own accommodations.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank psnyder16
Dear psnyder 16

I appreciate your letting us know of your less than satisfactory stay with us, I have asked our engineer to look at the room you stayed in to see why you heard so much noise, all of our rooms have had the baclony windows and doors sound proofed to block out as much sound as possible, how ever being in the middle of downtown we do sometimes get more noise than normal if there is an event going on.I have also let the chef know of your comment regarding some food items not being up to the temperature desired. All of us here apologize for the problems you encountered with us and hope that when next you visit Anchorage you stay with us and let us know when you are coming so I can personally upgrade your stay and ensure your satisfaction.

General Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Allen Park, Michigan
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am a flight attendant and a frequent traveler for pleasure. My boyfriend and I had a wonderful experience here at the westmark. Check in was a breeze. Which is a plus especially after traveling 15 plus hours. Our room was really clean and stocked with enough essentials for our stay. The staff was exceptionally wonderful in helping us track down some fishing guides. We inquired about it and within minutes the gentleman was on the phone getting information for us. Normally it would be a breeze to find fishing guides, but our travel was not within the fishing runs. The staff was friendly and genuine about our inquiries and needs. The location was great. Walking distance to plenty of great restaurants and gift shops. Right next door to the performing arts center where we saw a wonderful movie about the aurora. Walking distance to the Alaska railroad where you can take a day trip to Seward and back. They also have other destinations. Walking distance to salmon viewing and more. All in all this hotel and staff went above and beyond to ensure our stay was comfortable, clean and made sure our trip to Alaska was unforgettable.

1 Thank meljo1979
Kenmore, Washington
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Couldn't believe Holland America booked us here after our fabulous trip to Alaska. What a comedown. The Westmark was well used, with dingy linens and extremely dusty window coverings. It made for a very stuffy room. People's voices could be heard through the closed windows even on the 12th floor, where I was. I didn't even stay the night, and I my flight didn't leave until the following evening! The Marriott was across the way and I assume it would have been a better selection for Holland America to make. The Holland America tour office, located within the Westmark, was also well worn and had uncomfortable chairs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Wave R
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Reserved a room with a king or queen bed. I was given a nice room, but with double beds. When I requested a change they refused. There is also a problem of hearing street noise and train whistles all night long. I would rate it as poor service and poor sound insulation.

Room Tip: There are much nicer hotels in the same area for about the same cost.
2 Thank FloridaRon
Kevin B, General Manager at Westmark Anchorage, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Ron,

I see that you are still in the Hotel? if so please call my office and let me get you moved to a room with a King bed, I am so sorry we were not able to accomodate your request at check in, it does happen on occasion that guests decided to stay an extra night and when this happens we are not always able to get people into their first choice of rooms but if you are here tonight let me know and I will get you moved. As to the noise issue's there are times being in the heart of down town that we do get siren and train horn noise and we share that frustration along with all the other hotels downtown for our guests who are inconvenienced. Please let me know if you are still here so I can upgrade you for the remainder of your stay.

Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our organization held a reception in the Penthouse that was attended by more than 50 people. The room has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Port of Anchorage for a wonderful view that was complimented by the decor of the room. The catering menu choices were extensive and featured many Alaskan specialties allowing us to select food that our specific crowd would enjoy. Our guests moved around the room visiting the bar, buffet table, conversation and seating areas with ease. Upon our arrival the staff completed last minute details efficiently, and continued to be attentive to our wishes all evening. They did everything we asked and more to make our event a success.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Kevin B, General Manager at Westmark Anchorage, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Julie

It was a pleasure to Host your function and to have many of the Crew of the newly Commissioned USS Anchorage come visit the Hotel and take in your wonderful reception for them and the great view from the Penthouse, it really is a great place to have a party or meeting. On the behalf of all of the Team here at the Westmark Anchorage Hotel we thank you for chosing us to be part of your Gathering.

Yours respectfully