“Moderate price for winter”
Review of Westmark Anchorage

Westmark Anchorage
Ranked #39 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I spent 8 nights in conjunction with Road Scholar program at this Westmark in Anchorage. The staff was SO welcoming and went out of their way to make sure our group (and as indiiduals) had ever need met. I will stay there again!

Room Tip: Room was on 12th floor. Good view of the street below.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Kevin B, General Manager at Westmark Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Coffeebeans8

Thank you so much for your oustanding comments regarding your stay and on all of the Team working at the Hotel, The staff here at the Westmark Hotel take great pride in getting to know are Guests and making sure that we do everything we can to make them feel welcome and comforatable. We look forward to seeing you back and please ask for me when you arrive so that i can introduce myself.

Kevin Batters, General Manager

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great to stay here again it's a good value hotel. It is clean comfortable and has a central location. I would recommend the hotel. The staff are friendly. The breakfast could be improved at the hotel so if you have time I would eat out of the hotel as there are lots of good restaurants nearby.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GillPerry
Kevin B, General Manager at Westmark Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Gill
All of us here at the Westmark Hotel Anchorage are thrilled that you took the time to let us know how much you enjoyed staying with us and thank you so much for giving us a 5 rating, we like to treat all of our guests like family and make the travel experience as comfortable and interesting as possible. I do hope we have the chance to host you again when next you come to Anchorage.

Yours Sincerely

Kevin Batters, General Manager

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at the Westmark Anchorage for Fur Rondy and found the hotel to be fine. The hotel does seem to need some updating. Parking is a problem for this hotel as they do not have much on site. You have to park 1 block away in a parking garage and cost is $8.00 per day. Lobby area is cozy with a fireplace burning and nice chairs in front of it. Check in procedure went smoothly, with friendly staff. The rooms are your typical chain hotel rooom, a little on the small side with very small bathroom, vanitiy area is outside the bathroom but also very small. What makes this hotel is the location downtown, very good if you are ever planning on attending Fur Rondy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Isledweler
Reviewed January 13, 2013

They seemed to have done a turn around from the last time we stayed there. Rooms were much cleaner, and service was good. However the cafe is just as bad as always. The food is not up any kind of standards. Hope they can improve.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My company's experience at this hotel did not start off the best. The reservation for my partner was lost (not the hotels fault) and when i arrived, I had no heat in my room for the night (more on that later). First thing, this property is in need of a renovation. I guess things are tight at Holland America as besides the property starting to show its wear, they actually do not have any Premium Channels (HBO, Showtime), or Flat Screens. I know most people do not come to Alaska to watch Boardwalk Empire...... Anyway, with my heat not working, the hotel did get me a space heater as there were no spare rooms that night. The next day, I moved to a new room and things are the good. The staff is the best here, totally professional, and as nice as can be. They go way beyond the extra mile to make me feel welcome. The hotel restaurant is really good too. If it was not for them, I would have left.

Room Tip: Away from the cold side of the building. Mr. Goodwrench at the front desk ca help on that.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Steven P
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here with my family before heading up to Denali. After a long day (our flight from Seattle was delayed four hours, and we didn't get into Ted Stevens until 11:30pm), I was looking forward to crashing in the elegant hotel depicted on Westmark's website. In my tired state, I initially wondered if I had been accidentally put in the Motel 6. The rooms are tiny, and look like they haven't been renovated since the 70s. For over $200 per night, this is overpriced.
Regardless, the sleep quality was good, and if you need a quick in-and-out place to stay in Anchorage, you could do worse.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dustin C
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel. First of all it is outdated: everything from the stale carpet to the 1970 mattress. There were cigarette burn holes in the blankets. The staff was friendly but the housekeeping has much to be desired; there was someone's socks left in the bathroom and the dust under the counter clearly said "I don't get vacuumed under here." Additionally, I ate at the hotel restaurant on my last evening only to have a homeless guy sit across from me and eat my dinner - that was not acceptable with me. Security is a huge issue for this hotel - every evening there were at least 7+ people hanging out behind the dumpsters right where you have to walk by to get to the hotel parking lot. Until this hotel gets some serious security put into place and updates it's room, I will never return to this place.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business