“This hotel needs a renovation (or perhaps demolition)”
Review of Westmark Anchorage

Westmark Anchorage
Ranked #39 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We were put in this hotel by Holland America at the end of a cruisetour. Holland American just so happens to own the property.

The architectural style can be best described as early cinder block. The floor under the carpet was most likely concrete that had, at some point, shifted and been patched resulting in one area that was easy to trip over. The room was fairly large, but the old sliding door going to the balcony made it noisy.

The hotel seemed quite concerned about their elevators, posting limits that should have been well below the actual capacity of the elevator. During one ride up to our room, the elevator jerked to a stop, paused for a bit, and then started back up.

This hotel was well below the quality of the others that Holland American placed us in. It needs some major remodeling to come close to today's standards. I can't help but wonder if that can be done without tearing it down and starting over!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kolohe280

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just stayed in one of the suites as part of a weekend trip to Anchorage. As many others have stated, the rooms were clean, customer service was fine but some modernization and upgrades could help a lot. One thing that especially bugged me was the lighting in the rooms. Every lamp was fitted with a energy saving bulb that cast a stark grey-blue light that never warmed up. The whole room felt grey-green. The florescent lighting at my work is more homey. I realize this sounds very petty but it was so noticeable that we almost switched hotels. For nearly $200 a night I expected the rooms to be, at the very least, inviting. I really want to give an AVERAGE review but I just can't. Comfortable lighting should be a quick and easy fix. Props to the hotel for thinking about energy conservation but I know there are warmer energy saving bulbs to be had because we have them in our home. Luckily we spent most of out time out on the town shopping and enjoying the nearby lounges and restaurants. The close location to these establishments and one of our favorite restaurants were the only perks to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here the last night of our Cruise and Tour vacation of Alaska. This place is first class. Holland America has done a great job with this hotel. Staff was excellent. The resturant has the best food.Hotel is near the downtown area.with. Rooms were large and clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently held a week-long conference at the Westmark in downtown Anchorage. The staff was incredibly helpful. Oscar, or someone else, was always on hand to be sure that we had everything that we needed. I've hosted many meetings and I can honestly say that I've never had better support from the hotel staff. Thank you, Westmark!!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights while on a business trip. Hotel was fine. Everything was clean and bed was comfortable enough. I never ate at the restaurant on site. My main complaint is the parking. There is only about 23 parking sports around the hotel that are part of their parking, yet it is surrounded other parking that you can pay for. They do offer a parking garage that is across the street from the hotel but you have to pass a bus stop that is often filled with drunk people later on in the night. As a young female I did not feel comfortable parking in that lot and walking alone. I drove around the block 5 times one night hoping that a parking spot would open up and ended up just paying to park in the lot right next to the hotel. The problem with this is that night parking ends at 5:59am, so I then had to wake up at 6am and go down and pay for the day which was very inconvenience.
I would recommend this hotel to someone who is not needing to park during the visit.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were only here one night, as we were at the end of our Cruise/Tour, and this was the last stop before we went to airport to go back home.

We had a special needs room, and it had a huge bathroom, plus the sink/counter was OUTSIDE of the bathroom, in the bedroom area. This was the only downside -- if one person is an early riser, and the other one sleeps in, the early riser is likely to disturb the other one, bedded down in the covers, while the other is using the sink, etc.

We found the staff very accommodating when we all came in off of the bus, plus our tour desk was very knowledgeable of how things work, with the cruise tours, etc. This hotel is owned by Holland America Cruise Lines, and they are "right on" with everything they do. Our luggage also made it, so we were able to get it ready for the next day, since we'd be loading up and going to airport.

We did eat breakfast in their dining room, which was very good, and moderately priced for Alaska. This hotel is right downtown, Anchorage. I found one thing odd, however. After I filled out their room "survey", I walked it to the front counter, handed it in, and was given a "free" postcard, for filling out their survey; I then asked if I could buy a stamp.....the answer was "No we don't have any stamps". Very odd, that they'd give a free postcard and not have anywhere to purchase a stamp!! I did send the postcard to some friends, but I had to walk 2 blocks, to the UPS Store to purchase a stamp, and mail it!!

Overall, very satisfied with this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I recently spent a week at the Westmark. The staff--from managers, to food and beverage, to desk, to maintenance, to housekeeping, to servers, to bell service-- were truly amazing! I absolutely recommend this hotel. You'll be treated very well!