“Great food on the way back from campus”

Varsity Sports Grill
Ranked #230 of 914 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: Seafood, Brew Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Located on the top floor of the Alaska Airlines Center, the Varsity Sports Grill overlooks the main arena and is available for lunch Tuesday - Friday. This upscale sports pub features a wood-fired pizza oven and plenty of flat screen TVs to watch all the action. The talented chefs showcase their craft with specialty salads, burgers, Alaskan-flare entrees and, among other gourmet items, a variety of artisan pizzas. Open for most Alaska Airlines Center and UAA events, see Yelp for reservations.
Reviewed May 23, 2017

I really miss coming here. As a UAA student, I walked through the athletic center on a daily basis and so had many chances to dine in. The best part was that the restaurant takes dining points, which is pretty awesome! The only major downside is that there can be unexpected closures that can be unannounced (such as during my business trip to Anchorage last October; dang!) or have strict access enforced during an event.

But food-wise, I was never disappointed. My go-to dish is the Seawolf burger; I ordered it so often that the waitress and waiter knew exactly what I wanted each time I visited! The spinach and artichoke dip was great also, although they changed it to tortilla chips a year or so ago. Last but not least is the French dip which was also really good.

For the desert, go for the bread pudding. Just do it. ;)

Another restaurant I miss; I guess I should just get ready to move back to AK! I wonder if the same staff work there; I had gone in so many times that I got a tearful hug from one of the waitresses there when I told them I was graduating 2 years ago and was leaving the state. I hope they are all well!

1  Thank shark_mark13

Reviewed September 23, 2016

I have lunched at the Varsity Grill in the Alaska Airlines Center on the UAA campus several times, most recently on their outdoor deck. This place is a little hard to find, you have to enter vehicle information into the automated parking system to get free parking (of which there is plenty), but once you get there it is worth the effort. Views of the sports arena from the inside are great. It is like having a skybox. The views from the outdoor seating area of the Chugach mountains are breath taking. And the food is phenomenal. The waitstaff is very friendly and efficient. Good selection of beverages.

Reviewed September 2, 2016 via mobile

Awesome view and best place for supper before a University sports event. The kale salad with grilled salmon tastes great. Artichoke dip was yummy. Didn't care for the brussel sprouts appetizer and the salt shaker must have fallen over into the asparagus soup. Great spot.

Reviewed August 31, 2016 via mobile

The patio has a great view and is wonderful on the 6 or so days a year it's not raining. The menu has a small diverse menu of American pub food. The interior has desent seating with some views of the court. Prices are moderate. Overall it's a descent place for a bite before and event or with friends.

Reviewed August 22, 2016 via mobile

Once a month we go out with another couple. This was my month to pick the restaurant. None of us had ever been to the new Alaska Airlines Arena. The reviews all seemed good and they are part of Open Table.

My wife and I decided to try it out before we took our friends. On our first trip we decided to do appetizers and pizza. The deep fried Brussels sprouts are awesome (awesome veggies?? Yeah). The pizza was perfectly cooked and just the right size for an appetizer for two or an entree for one. The halibut bites were also well prepared and very flavorful.

On our return trip I tried the rice curry with shrimp. Fantastic flavor and the perfect portion. My wife had the prime rib French dip. Lots of meat and great flavor.

The service was great and very attentive. Both of our dinners were before the college opened for fall classes and the restaurant was never half full. I hope they continue the great service as they get busy.

We will be back again.