“very good value homely place”
Review of Susitna Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anchorage
Susitna Place
Ranked #6 of 127 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Thirsk, United Kingdom
“very good value homely place”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Accommodation in Anchorage is expensive, but we were very pleased with our stay here. Helpful owner, quality breakfast with fresh fruits. Our room did not have a view but the deck and comfy lounge were good places to spend time. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Susitna Place B&B; what a nice welcoming place to stay in Anchorage. My husband and I stayed at Susitna Place B&B three times in 2013 (once in late April and twice in August). Each stay was great. One of the first things that struck us are the views from the inn. Mt Susitna sits just to the west of Susitna Place B&B, looking terrific especially when the "sleeping lady" is silhouetted in front of a fiery sunset. On clear days one can also see massive snow clad Mt McKinley (Denali) and equally impressive Mt Foraker looming in the far distance from Susitna Place.

On all three visits we booked the Susitna Suite. It is comprised of a bedroom containing a flat screen television as well as a comfortable bed with very plush bedding and lots of pillows, a sitting room with an additional flat screen television, a full bath with ample fresh towels, a small dining area with table and chairs, efficiency kitchenette (microwave, small refrigerator, tiny sink and coffeemaker) and a spacious private walk out deck with patio table and chairs plus that marvelous view. The bedroom can be closed off for privacy, a plus if conducting a business meeting or entertaining guests. Wifi is included in the room rate; it worked well with a strong connection. Be aware that some rooms at Susitna Place B&B offer en suite bathrooms while other rooms share a bath. Also, please be aware there are short flights of stairs leading from the inn's front door to rooms on the second (upper level) and first floor (ground floor).

One note: on all of our visits, the well stocked Susitna Suite bathroom did not have shampoo or conditioner available. I do not know whether this is standard at Susitna Place B&B but based upon our experience, it is wise to pack a small bottle of shampoo for emergency use.

A filling breakfast is available every morning at Susitna Place B&B. Bread and English muffins for toasting, butter and jam, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, sweet rolls and coffee cakes, reindeer sausage, coffee, tea and soft drinks (the soft drinks are available via an honor system payment of 75 cents that goes into a jar on the counter) are all offered. Hostess Linda was always on hand during breakfast hours, keeping the food counter stocked and clean. She never hovered over her guests but rather was there to offer interesting anecdotes or answer guests' questions. I found Linda to be a very gracious hostess who appears to genuinely enjoy her guests. Linda is full of suggestions as to what to do while in Anchorage. Be sure to ask her for must do or off the beaten path options.

Guests can also gather in the living room/breakfast area to relax and enjoy the view at all times of the day. A selection of books about Alaska is available for guests' use.

Covered parking is provided for rental cars, a very nice touch especially on foul weather days. We always rent a car while in Anchorage since our travels take us around the town but it is possible to walk to restaurants, galleries and museums in Anchorage's main downtown tourist district from Susitna Place B&B. The stroll from the B&B to town is not far, a very pleasant walk when weather is fair. Taxis are available or one can rent from an in town rental car agency if needing a car for a day or so. Be sure to reserve your car ahead of time if visiting during the busy summer season!

When on the road for long periods of time having a washer and dryer on premises is Nirvana for me but unfortunately there is no guest laundry at Susitna. However, should you need to launder clothes a laundromat is located about a mile away.

While I have stayed at as well as very much enjoyed three other larger upmarket Anchorage hotels on prior visits, in my opinion friendly, comfortable little Susitna Place B&B ranks up there with the best of what Anchorage accommodation offers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

ADMINISTRATION - I dealt with Linda from reservations to check in and check out. She was SO nice and a wealth of knowledge about Anchorage. The entire process from start to finish was completely organized and easy. If I ever go back to Anchorage I will stay here again for sure.

ROOMS - the rooms are nostalgic of staying with your family. I really felt like I was staying at my moms house. Everything in the room was lovely and quaint. The room was very clean with cable TV and wireless.

SHARED AREAS - wonderfully comfortable and inviting. You walk up a few stairs to the kitchen (modern, updated, and really nice) and a very open concept dining area and sitting area. The decor is very welcoming and the view of the water is to gorgeous. I'd love to be able to wake up to that every morning. There is a gorgeous deck that we weren't able to use because of the rain but the view from inside was perfect.

BREAKFAST - the breakfast buffet was great. There was plenty of whatever you like. Cereal, breads, Danish, breakfast sausage, fruit salad, fruit, cheese, yogurt, any type of milk, juice, coffee or tea you'd like. It was hearty!

STAFF - I dealt with Linda for every transaction I had at Susitna and she was great. She was so welcoming and made us feel like we were visiting with family. A really warm friendly person altogether. I stayed at a B&B at the beginning of my trip but it didn't compare to my experience here. It also helped that I only dealt with one person the entire time not a different person for everything.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank RamblinRoads
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here right before and after our Alaska adventure. It was probably the nicest b&b my fiance and I had stayed in. The king size bed was luxurious as were the immense views from our private deck. The breakfast was standard fare but we really appreciated the long window of time it was available. We don't normally sit in common areas at b&bs due to intrusive hosts or uncomfortable seating. At Susitna Place I felt comfortable to lounge in the over sized couches and watch the sunset on Mount McKinley. My family even ordered a pizza and got some beers and ate in the dining area. It was very welcoming and relaxing. Also, very easy walking into downtown. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get the room on the bottom floor with it's own deck. Well worth it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Seems to be a pretty popular place to stay for those just arriving in or leaving Anchorage. It was clean. Furniture in the common area was worn and dated. Hostess Linda was nice, but I felt she hovered too much. Kept an eagle eye on the self-help breakfast spread- maybe it was to be efficient to replenish items but it didn't feel that way.Also- I think she has a set list of places she recommends and doesn't deviate even if other places are much more popular and are more widely recommended. Didn't hate it but didn't love it as much as other places we stayed at in Alaska.

Room Tip: Get a room with a private bath. One of the shared bathrooms is on a separate floor near the breakfas...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is a great B&B. I had a room that had its own bathroom, but there are also a few other rooms where you share a bathroom with other guests. The rooms was spacious and very clean with more than enough storage space. Linda is a great hostess and very knowledgeable. The deck, living and dinning room and kitchen are common areas for all guests to enjoy. Breakfast was great, a super selection of cooked items, cereals, fruit, yogurts and juice and coffee. The view from the common area is spectacular as you overlook Knick Arm and if the weather is good you get a great view of Susitna Mountain (the sleeping lady). Parking was covered, but be aware that there is limited space.
The location of this property is very close to downtown and took only 10 minutes to walk there. I would highly recommend this B&B to others looking for accommodation in Anchorage.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Liestal, Switzerland
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This location not far from city center is really a bijou. It is a quiet location with a beautiful view to Cook Inlet. Linda is a excellent hostess. She has a great experience for traveling round in Alaska and is very helpful. She makes you feel well in Anchorage. Its a lovely home and it is nice that she shares the beautiful sitting and breakfast rooms with everybody. There is also a great terrace from where you can see the Denali from far by clear weather. The breakfasts are outstanding. We recommend this B&B highly to everybody.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple