“Bed and No Breakfast...”

Camai Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #31 of 127 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Bed and No Breakfast...”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I am a student who had to stay in Anchorage for 5 weeks for a rotation at ANMC hospital. Camai B&B offered a very comfortable and clean room to stay in for 5 weeks. The best part was that it was only a 10 minute walk to the hospital.

However, hospitality was DEFINITELY an issue!!! When we arrived, we were not specifically told what would and would not be provided to us during our stay. We assumed that since this is a bed AND BREAKFAST, we would be provided breakfast. When we told Caroline about our schedules so that she can have breakfast ready by the time we leave (as stated that we should do in our guidebook in the room), she responded with "I am not going to cook for you." That was a bit cold, I thought. She stated that we are her house guests, and we do not get breakfast. Ummm...okay....you could have made that point clear when we first arrived. Another thing was toilet paper. We ran out of toilet paper, and when I went to ask her for more, she laughed loudly and said "I knew it. I bet Craig that you would be asking for toilet paper. We do not provide it." WTF?? Ummm okay, so now you're BETTING on us instead of telling us that you do not provide it? Right. Real good service right there. Actually, that isn't even service, that is just plain RUDE and uncalled for, especially for an "Award winning bed and breakfast" owner! I have never encountered such a distasteful person as Caroline. Craig was nice during our stay, however, he was a bit creepy to the younger girls....if you know what I mean, such as offering to go in the hot tub one on one with one of the young girls who was also staying there during our stay. Creepy.

Finally, when we first arrived, we were also asked for a cleaning deposit. So we would get that cleaning deposit back if we cleaned the suite before we left. Well, I only found out after our stay from other students who stayed there previously that they were never asked to leave a cleaning deposit OR clean the room after their stay. Why were we charged? I mean I do not mind cleaning up after myself, that is common courtesy. However, I used the disinfectant wipes that were provided by Caroline to wipe down the counter tops. When she came to inspect the room, she felt the counter top and said in a disgruntled tone "not clean." Just those two words, "not clean." Am I your servant? I sure felt like I was being treated like one!! Woman, I used YOUR disinfectant wipes. After that, I used a paper towel damped with water and wiped the counter. Then she approved of that. Caroline also told us that we should be THANKFUL that she is giving us our cleaning deposit back. Right.

Also, they inspect your trash. You read correctly, they INSPECT YOUR TRASH!!! Not that I had anything to hide, it was just weird. I know this because I threw away some un-opened food, and the next day she told me that I shouldn't waste food and that i should donate it.

FUTURE CUSTOMERS BEWARE!!! This place is probably NOT as clean as it looks because she only wants things cleaned with WATER and not any other ANTI-BACTERIAL or disinfectant products!!!!!!!!!! I will NEVER EVER stay there OR recommend anyone stay there if they are in their right minds! I am thankful that I never have to deal with them again!

Room Tip: The peony suite has super loud creaking pipes that make it very hard to sleep. The rose suite is ve...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank STO411
WarmAkHello, Owner at Camai Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
I regret that your stay was not one you recall with pleasant memories. As an inspected and approved member of Anchorage Alaska Bed and Breakfast Association, I welcome you to contact them with your complaint. But first, may I respond to several of your points?

To assist students such as yourself, we created a housing option that provides affordability. As a way to do that, we ask that you take care of amenities such as breakfasts and daily cleaning. In our discussion at the time of taking your booking, this was communicated. For a long term stay during the off-season for students, we offer our B&B – our home – under these terms. We have learned from experience to request a cleaning deposit and find it a good incentive for most student guests.

Because we have provided lodging for a number of years, our projection of quantities needed (toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. ) are historically accurate and are the basis of what was provided to you. You are correct in that we asked that you care for certain items like the antique marble counter-tops in specific ways, and that other surfaces are treated with the disinfectant products.

Your allegations regarding Craig’s behavior and the possibility of trash inspection are distasteful and are, at best, based on misunderstanding. Our apology is offered with hopes that your future stays at B&Bs are more to your liking.

Our best wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Greensboro
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay here. We had the Fireweed suite on the lower level and it was private, clean and comfortable. Carol does a nice breakfast but does not take half your morning. Yard is beautiful and reflects Carols gardening expertise. Can be a little hard to find at first but convenient to downtown and airbase. We would return for sure!

Room Tip: The Fireweed suite is best if you like privacy and want a kitchen area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dan K
La Jolla, California
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Space was fine. We had the Peony suite, which was cute and cozy. The linens, towels, etc. weren't quite "luxury" as stated on the website, but whatever - it was all there and clean. Price was good for what we got.

It is run by a working couple, so keep that in mind - they can't offer as much flexibility in checkin times as you might get at a hotel, and you may have to move your car if you park them in.

BUT - Given the good reviews on this website, I was surprised at how the owners behaved. My mother died during our stay, and I asked for a late check-out the next day so that I could make funeral arrangements. I got a heavy sigh and a disgruntled "well HOW late?". I was expecting that even if they couldn't accommodate me, they'd at least be nice about it, maybe throw in a "Sorry for your loss" - that's just basic human decency, right? I would have been taken aback by their attitude even in normal circumstances, which these were not.

Forget them. I certainly won't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank A H
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Since we had a polio survivor traveling with us, Carol brought our breakfast to our room. Although, the Camai is not ADA compliant, Carol made sure our accommodations met our requirements. Carol is a master gardener and an excellent cook, Rick enjoyed picking golden raspberries outside our door with her permission. Quiet residential neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OurtriptoAlaska
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Camai is the cleanest B&B we stayed in during our recent trip. The rooms were quite nice and there was plenty of space. They offer wifi & a TV in each room, plus a private bathroom. The breakfast was delicious and Caroline even made a special gluten free meal for my husband which he devoured rather quickly. We didn't spend a lot of time at the B&B other than for sleeping and breakfast, but had a pleasant time. Like some of the other raters listed, the walls seem kind of thin so you can hear activity from each of the rooms, but luckily it was fairly quiet while we were there. The location is in the middle of a development so if you aren't expecting that, be prepared. It seems to be a more common theme in Alaska that took us getting used to. We typically stay at B&B's when traveling to the New England area and are used to them being on a larger plat of land and/or right inside town limits, but the B&B's in Alaska are often hidden in the middle of a development... not a bad thing, just not expected. We enjoyed our stay at Camai. The beds were comfortable (though a little noisy when turning over) and the furniture decor was antique looking in our room. It was a nice touch.

Additionally, if you need handicapped accommodations, one of the rooms is handicap accessible by a long ramp.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed June 23, 2012

With only 5 days to spend in Alaska, we chose Camai Bed and Breakfast. The owners were helpful, friendly and very accommodating. The breakfasts were delicious and filling. Some days we didn't even need to eat lunch! The room was very comfortable. I would recommend the Peony suite. Having a fridge, microwave and toaster oven was great for heating leftovers and storing our own snacks and drinks. Craig even did our wash for us. We met several wonderful people over breakfast, too. I thought the location was perfect. It was easy to get into the downtown area and to Seward Highway to travel to attractions north and south of the city. The guests above us were a little noisy, but we were only there at night and although we didn't use it, there is a "white noise" machine to mask sound outside our room. Thank you, Caroline and Craig. We will definitely come back someday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lexington, VA
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We spent two nights at Camai, and it's a good place to stay. The hosts are friendly and the breakfasts are really excellent. The location is a little hard to find, and it's in a crowded residential neighborhood, but once in the room it was just fine. Really nice bedding and everything was really clean. Highly recommended!! David

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple