“Great service, good location”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Location: downtown approx. 5 blocks from Convention Center. Central and easy to access main downtown area.
Service: Reception, Concierge & Room service staff were all very friendly, helpful, professional and efficient - excellent. Fletcher's (pub style food onsite) also really friendly staff and great relaxed, local atmosphere. The Café (for breakfast) had a queue wait of some 15mins for a table - possibly due to cruise season and tour groups. The staff maintained a friendly disposition.
Room: (Deluxe). There are 3 Towers spread over a large area. Furnishings of the Hotel and room are dark wood making it seem out of date and old, while the cleanliness was great. Bed comfort was good. The view from Tower 3 was ordinary and no safe in the room. The noise from the adjacent lift was annoying night and day, while the Hotel seems to be upgrading lifts.
Facilities: Athletic rooms each for men & women looked good. 'The Cubby' coffee shop was closed for renovations. Fletcher's pub style bar & restaurant was great. The Café queue for breakfast and being closed for dinner wasn't great. Crow's Nest top floor restaurant we didn't use as $44-52USD for an entrée was a bit expensive! Business center near reception was good and staff very helpful. Airport transfer was a bit strange. Advertised @ $12pp one way, 2nd person $10, while a guest jumped on without a booking & paid $10pp (possibly an external operator runs this service for the Hotel). Local shops nearby are very handy.
For: location, staff service and friendliness
Against: Seems a bit old & a bit expensive for the quality. (while Alaska is expensive!)
Overall: Great staff with friendly, helpful service & a good location.

Room Tip: With 3 Towers, difficult to say - I think the Tower with reception downstairs is less walking from e...
1  Thank jnpaussies2010
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear jnpaussies2010,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your in-depth review and illustrating so many areas of the Hotel. I was very happy see the staff made such a good impression on you. We are constantly upgrading and updating the Hotel but as long as the staff stays true during these transitional times and keeps smiling and providing great service we can all be happy. Thank you again and until next time, take care!

There are newer reviews for The Hotel Captain Cook

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a first class hotel. We had a great breakfast (not free) and the staff is outstanding. We were part of a Princess Tour/Cruise and only spent one night. One issue, their quick service breakfast and lunch venue was closed for remodeling, but there were ads for it all over the hotel. Also there wasn't really an early breakfast place open near the hotel. Parking for our bus was an issue and we had to circle the block a few times to park. There is an area in front of the hotel reserved for the buses but other vehicles were in the spaces and there did not seem to be any enforcement. Probably not the hotels fault.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Gopherhill,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we are very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. There are a couple really good places for breakfast that open up early and they're close to the Hotel. Our concierge or any associate can help point you in the right direction next time. The loading zone outside sometimes gets crowded with drop offs and arrivals and I apologize that your group had to circle before being able to park. Thank you again and we can't wait to see you in the future.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Overall very pleased with recent stay here. Found a few pros and cons:

I found my room just a little dated. With sunshine most of the day and night, I would have appreciated better blackout curtains. In my tower, one of the elevators was out of action for my entire three night stay so that long waits were common.

As for the good stuff, staff was friendly. Location was right downtown. Excellent athletic club (its not just a weight room but a full on club with lounge, hot tub, pool, weight room, etc.. very impressive).Numerous dinner and drink options within the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear billybob101,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. You left us with a sunshine review. The blackout curtains definitely help but with this last stint of unlimited sunshine the golden rays showered upon downtown Anchorage. The elevators in Tower 3 are being updated at the moment and they will be the newest and safest in the city which we are very proud of. This will help with the waits. Glad to see you loved the gym (one of my personal favorites). Come back and see us!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Made a visit to Alaska and other places by Land and Princess Cruise. (Sapphire princess)
Stayed in Hotel Captain Cook for a night. Felt more friendly and comfortable. The town also
looked neat. Fortunately, during my visit to Alaska and other places, we enjoyed good weather:
in mid 60s.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Double-bed A/C room in 3rd floor, which was quite pleasant and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sightseeing100

Dear sightseeing100,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. Love the review. It's always nice to see you enjoyed your stay and the time you spent in Anchorage. It's a fun town if you're willing to get out and experience it. Live music, parades, street food vendors, art galleries, restaurants, and local coffee houses round out the downtown scene. Wish you were able to stay longer. Next time let's help you plan for some more exploring of the local to do list. Long way from India but we'll be ready to provide another great stay.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very nice hotel, it was a nice clean room with views of the mountains and coastal lines, bathroom was very nice and the room was spacious, lots of room for all the luggage and much to spare, the drapes were awesome to knock-out the 24 hour days, made for good sleep. Breakfast was good, but expensive. Where's a McDonalds when you need one. We would definately go back next time we are off on another adventure. The counceire helped us get a rental care because our flight back to Texas didn't leave till 11:38pm, he was able to find the deal of lifetime, we enjoyed a scenic afternoon of glaciers and calving at a nice expense.

Room Tip: Corner room spacious for both mountain and sea.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear alison S,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see that you enjoyed you time with us. You're right, not very many options for fast food in downtown Anchorage. The Cafe in the Hotel has a great crab omelet though. Our Concierge has extensive knowledge of the local areas and helping provide a rental car to find some amazing places sounds spot on. I love it when people love Alaska. We can't wait to see you some time in the future!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just came back from a Whittier to Vancouver cruise, which began with a 3 day stay in Anchorage at the Hotel Captain Cook. I would have to rate it all over the map. First, our travel agent had booked us in for 2 nights, instead of the requested 3 nights. The hotel was very busy, and they bent over backwards to give us a 3rd night. The persons at the desk were great. The original room (for 2 nights @$324 a night), was a 'just ok 'normal hotel room', that I would expect to pay about $150/'maybe' $200 in rush season. Realize I was a retail and wholesale travel agent earlier in my life, and I have travelled the world extensively for 40 years. My husband and I now travel all around the world, and we have stayed at amazing hotels worth the $324, this was NOT one of them. The room we were given (and I thank them for us not having to move), was also $324 for the third night. The toilet was broken, the wallpaper was peeling off the wall in the bathroom, and the bed couch in the living area (it was a junior suite) which we used to watch TV, was threadbare with holes and the foam was it bad shape (barely ok to sit in and quite filthy looking). We ate the first night in the Crow's Nest, which had a lovely view, with great service. We went there because the King Crab was supposed to be the best at this restaurant. My King Crab (at $52), was barely edible, freezer burned and bad tasting; I have had better King Crab from the frozen section of Safeway's. I did not want to spoil our first evening, and the rest of the food and service were great, so I kept quiet. Two days later, looking up the best King Crab in Anchorage once more, I came across Humpy's, an every day pub. I ordered a half order, not to be disappointed once more, and I had the most gorgeous King Crab I have had in my life. I proceeded to order another half order, and $46 later I was smiling and felt I had an Anchorage K Crab experience. I must also say, that the breakfast at the C Cook Hotel was amazing, I had the salmon lox every day, and it was gorgeous. Everything about the breakfasts (for both of us), were great. When I spend $324 a night, I expect something beyond a Best Western, and quite frankly, we have had equally nice rooms (or better) at Best Western Plus Level. In closing, I booked the C. Cook because of the swimming pool, which was adequate, if you were physically able to go down the ladder, or wished to be humiliated using a lift. The fact that there was no walk in stairs, should be been stated on the Captain Cook website. Also, the women's workout room was tiny, with an uncomfortably low ceiling, it had no bench/weight facilities (real weights), only little hand weights. It was an uncomfortable, sweaty little room. The rest of the facility, showers/lockers, etc. and service persons were fine. As I stated, all over the map, with a 3/3.5 total package. I would go to a Hilton, or?? next time.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room, first one was clean and average, 2nd was not. Others were complaining about no...
1  Thank valeriebroadhead

Dear valeriebroadhead,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain. We appreciate your review and sharing you experience with our online community. Where do we start. Since you were a former travel agent you definitely have lots of experience. I find myself in the same boat as you. I look for everything when I travel and its hard to live up to my standards after being engulfed in the industry. What I can stay is that we will take everything you pointed out into full consideration and strive to improve upon all plains and aspects of service. There are always challenges and we look forward to meeting them head on with open eyes and ears. I love Vancouver and hope to return again sometime soon. Until next time, take care!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The outside architecture isn't much to look at, but the rooms were beautiful and very comfortable. Convenient location. Bathroom had a full size deep bath, which was very welcome. Toilet is pressurized, so the flush is quite loud!
This is a very busy hotel, with many people getting on/off cruise ships. We had the odd experience of finding other people's luggage in our rooms when we checked in at about 6:00 PM. The bellhops had missed them when collecting luggage headed to the airport.
Folks arriving in Anchorage should be aware that you cannot check in until 3:00, so you might find yourself at loose ends for a while. Be prepared! (We rented a car).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Fossilexpress,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. Love the feedback and great review. Summer time in Alaska is the busiest season for us. With the melting snow and warming weather it opens up the gateways to extraordinary places, thus attracting lots of adventure seekers like yourselves. Our check in time is 3:00 p.m. but if we have a room ready we surely will check you in early. Enjoy the Windy City and lets hope Derek Rose gets healthy and provides us all with some upcoming excitement! Cheers from AK!