“Lovely”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I extended our cruise to Alaska by spending extra nights in Anchorage at the Hotel Captain Cook. Great location because it is central to everything. The view from our corner room on the tenth floor was magnificent. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bed and bedding were comfortable. Concierge helpful in recommending things to do and places to see --- be certain to experience the Anchorage Museum if you have the time. Convenient shuttle to airport.
If we are ever fortunate enough to visit Anchorage again, we will be certain to stay at Hotel Captain Cook.

Room Tip: A room with a water view is not to be missed!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madgeMaryland
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear madgeMaryland,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and thank your for staying over with us for those extra days to really enjoy Anchorage. The museum was redone a couple years ago and I agree with you, it's great! I know Maryland is far east coast and we're about as far away as you can get while still staying in the US but just don't forget that our staff and our state would love to see you again!

Front Desk Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,911)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here on a layover mid February. It's older but a really cool hotel with easy access to nearby restaurants if you don't want to eat in the hotel. The elevators are kinda slow but it's a big hotel so one might expect that. The staff was really great and so were the beds. They're extremely comfortable and a plus is the windows will open a little to let in fresh air if you're so inclined.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear kolonialone,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We love to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the staff, facilities, and amenities were everything you needed. Sounds like you preferred a little fresh air breeze instead of the A/C and we're proud to be able to provide both. Stay cool in Texas and Alaska appreciates your visit!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Husband wants to take his pillow home!!!!....and he never is happy with pillows....bed was most comfortable...adequate linens. Staff was friendly and eager to assist us with our questions...no sign of impatience. room was clean and very quiet.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear theheartland,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review. He wants to take the pillow home? Get in touch with me and I'll let you know where we get the pillows or even mail some to you. Look forward to talking to you, cheers!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here as part of my Alaskan cruise package. This ended up being a very good hotel - clean and spacious rooms, good downtown location, nice views, and a number of good restaurants in the area - Glacier Brewhouse was fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Andrew K,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're very happy to see you enjoyed your stay. If there is anything we can improve on please let me know. We are always looking for ways to exceed guest expectations. Have a great summer and we'll see you again.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My 8 year old son and I stayed at the Captain Cook for 4 nights while in town for a family wedding. I wanted my son to have a special experience for his first one-on-one trip with a parent. I knew it was an older property, but was looking for charm so I chose this over the Marriott. The concierge staff was helpful and I appreciated the selection in the Adventure travel gear store. But when my family returns to Anchorage to visit relatives again I won't be staying here. Here's why:

-- The hotel decor is tired and blah. While the explorer/nautical themed art was unique, it was brought down by the dated and soulless furnishings. I kept thinking what a cool boutique hotel it *could* be if revamped by someone like the Joie de Vivre company.

-- Couches in the junior suite rooms are not sofa beds and there was no door to separate the bedroom from living room. So no ability to work/watch tv while the other person slept.

-- The only interesting casual dining seemed to be at the Whale's Tale, but you had to be 21 or older to eat there. The items touted on the Whale's Tale menu aren't available on the room service menu (unlike at other hotels I've stayed at, such as at the Fairmont and Four Seasons chains) or at Fletchers (the mediocre pub at the hotel where kids are begrudgingly allowed). We were told it was because of the self-serve wine dispensers (again, just adds to the cheesy atmosphere). Food at Fletchers and the breakfast cafe was heavy and uninteresting. Also, none of the restaurants we ate at offered a kids menu.

-- The hotel pool facilities close too early and the no kids blackout times further add to the message that families are not welcome. The fact that the athletic facilities double as a club for locals is not an acceptable excuse. When I stay at luxury hotels, I expect to feel like a guest not an interloper.

-- The pay per view movie system was embarrassingly antiquated and my son's movie shut down half way through. Thank goodness for our iPad and Netflix subscription.

I wanted to like the Captain Cook Hotel, but it is obviously trading on former glory days and the owners are now relying on the baby boomer cruise ship traveller. Next time we'll stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Laura M,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay. I believe that our Hotel isn't geared specifically for one demographic like being children friendly or business friendly but its is geared for all travelers as a guest friendly property. That is why we try to cater to everyone by splitting up adult and children hours for swimming to give equal opportunities for all parties to enjoy the facilities. Anyone of our staff are more than ready to help all guests get orientated with the Hotel, facilities, and downtown Anchorage. You can always call or send emails to me at guestservices@captaincook.com and we will answer any questions you have. I look forward to providing better service and thank you for letting us know the areas that need improvement. We
hope to see you and your family in the future and take care!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed prior to a cruise & did look at trip advisor beforehand and were disappointed.
Our room description was wrong on all levels:
"Deluxe rooms embody style all their own, custom made furniture and deep jewel-tone floors. As if it weren't enough, they also offer gorgeous views of either Chugach mountains or cook inlet"
The view was of a gravel roof and tower 3! The hotel was dark throughout and need of update - but seems to have captured cruise audience.
We were very mislead over breakfast costs & when we questioned this at reception the receptionist was so rude & even argued with us.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level & one with a view.... Which apparently they have
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear The_hammonds_,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you sharing your experience and I apologize that we didn't do enough to insure you a great stay. We try to provide all of our guests with their first choice of a specific room location. Our packages come with breakfast credits. The room you booked under initially didn't but per our conversation I went ahead and amended it and took care of your breakfast. I hope this shows that we truly care about our guests experience and will go above and beyond to take care of them. If you're ever back in Alaska I would personally like to take care of your reservations so I can hand pick you a great room with a view.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great hotel, but Princes Cruise line apparently is using it as a place to stay over before the embark on a cruise. If 50 shouting people at 6 AM in the breakfast area is your thing with only 3 or 4 waiters available, go for it. People seem to have no idea that others are actually trying to do a business conversation at a table, and they shout from the lobby to their friends in the restaurant. The evening in the bar is a lot of the same.

Next time it is the Hilton Garden Inn instead I am afraid. Rooms were fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear JimOB1,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I apologize that the conversations in the breakfast cafe were loud. If you're conducting a business breakfast I totally understand how that can negate the quality of the meeting and not being able to hear your party can get frustrating. I look forward to finding ways to improve the quality of the dining experience and thank you for letting us know. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.