“Not for families or the boutique hotel lover”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My 8 year old son and I stayed at the Captain Cook for 4 nights while in town for a family wedding. I wanted my son to have a special experience for his first one-on-one trip with a parent. I knew it was an older property, but was looking for charm so I chose this over the Marriott. The concierge staff was helpful and I appreciated the selection in the Adventure travel gear store. But when my family returns to Anchorage to visit relatives again I won't be staying here. Here's why:

-- The hotel decor is tired and blah. While the explorer/nautical themed art was unique, it was brought down by the dated and soulless furnishings. I kept thinking what a cool boutique hotel it *could* be if revamped by someone like the Joie de Vivre company.

-- Couches in the junior suite rooms are not sofa beds and there was no door to separate the bedroom from living room. So no ability to work/watch tv while the other person slept.

-- The only interesting casual dining seemed to be at the Whale's Tale, but you had to be 21 or older to eat there. The items touted on the Whale's Tale menu aren't available on the room service menu (unlike at other hotels I've stayed at, such as at the Fairmont and Four Seasons chains) or at Fletchers (the mediocre pub at the hotel where kids are begrudgingly allowed). We were told it was because of the self-serve wine dispensers (again, just adds to the cheesy atmosphere). Food at Fletchers and the breakfast cafe was heavy and uninteresting. Also, none of the restaurants we ate at offered a kids menu.

-- The hotel pool facilities close too early and the no kids blackout times further add to the message that families are not welcome. The fact that the athletic facilities double as a club for locals is not an acceptable excuse. When I stay at luxury hotels, I expect to feel like a guest not an interloper.

-- The pay per view movie system was embarrassingly antiquated and my son's movie shut down half way through. Thank goodness for our iPad and Netflix subscription.

I wanted to like the Captain Cook Hotel, but it is obviously trading on former glory days and the owners are now relying on the baby boomer cruise ship traveller. Next time we'll stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Laura M,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay. I believe that our Hotel isn't geared specifically for one demographic like being children friendly or business friendly but its is geared for all travelers as a guest friendly property. That is why we try to cater to everyone by splitting up adult and children hours for swimming to give equal opportunities for all parties to enjoy the facilities. Anyone of our staff are more than ready to help all guests get orientated with the Hotel, facilities, and downtown Anchorage. You can always call or send emails to me at guestservices@captaincook.com and we will answer any questions you have. I look forward to providing better service and thank you for letting us know the areas that need improvement. We
hope to see you and your family in the future and take care!

There are newer reviews for The Hotel Captain Cook

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed prior to a cruise & did look at trip advisor beforehand and were disappointed.
Our room description was wrong on all levels:
"Deluxe rooms embody style all their own, custom made furniture and deep jewel-tone floors. As if it weren't enough, they also offer gorgeous views of either Chugach mountains or cook inlet"
The view was of a gravel roof and tower 3! The hotel was dark throughout and need of update - but seems to have captured cruise audience.
We were very mislead over breakfast costs & when we questioned this at reception the receptionist was so rude & even argued with us.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level & one with a view.... Which apparently they have

Dear The_hammonds_,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you sharing your experience and I apologize that we didn't do enough to insure you a great stay. We try to provide all of our guests with their first choice of a specific room location. Our packages come with breakfast credits. The room you booked under initially didn't but per our conversation I went ahead and amended it and took care of your breakfast. I hope this shows that we truly care about our guests experience and will go above and beyond to take care of them. If you're ever back in Alaska I would personally like to take care of your reservations so I can hand pick you a great room with a view.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great hotel, but Princes Cruise line apparently is using it as a place to stay over before the embark on a cruise. If 50 shouting people at 6 AM in the breakfast area is your thing with only 3 or 4 waiters available, go for it. People seem to have no idea that others are actually trying to do a business conversation at a table, and they shout from the lobby to their friends in the restaurant. The evening in the bar is a lot of the same.

Next time it is the Hilton Garden Inn instead I am afraid. Rooms were fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear JimOB1,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I apologize that the conversations in the breakfast cafe were loud. If you're conducting a business breakfast I totally understand how that can negate the quality of the meeting and not being able to hear your party can get frustrating. I look forward to finding ways to improve the quality of the dining experience and thank you for letting us know. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights at the end of May whilst attending a conference/meetings in the centre of Anchorage. If I return to Anchorage I will stay again at the hotel.

It is not perfect but it has character and excellent staff who are generally friendly and helpful.

When I booked I asked for a high floor with a view. When I arrived the specific room I requested was not ready so I took a late lunch in the bar/restaurant. After a long flight all I wanted was a light meal. The team in the restaurant went off menu and mad a most enjoyable meal with the ingredients available. The room was worth waiting for and gave an excellent view of the mountains and Anchorage.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was quiet and a good night's sleep was achieved each night. Being a slightly older property the room had windows that opened - excellent if you do not like 100% air conditioning.

The downsides are all fairly minor. The system to watch a paid for movie in room is one of the most obscure I have ever come across and in the end I gave up trying to use it. When my room keycards lost their coding, I went to the front desk and met a chap with an attitude problem; he did not speak once and had a very aloof and sniffy approach. I would emphasise that all the other staff were excellent. If it were not for Mr. Grumpy at reception, I would have awarded 5 stars.

The Captain Cook has an ambience that does not come from a corporate chain hotel manual. Worth a stay.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking the city and mountains.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Antarctic,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we'll do everything in our power to raise your experience to 5 stars for next visit. I was very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. We are currently looking into upgrading the in room media experience and look forward to having a more user friendly system. I apologize about the reception you received from the front desk once your keys were deactivated. I will work with my staff to insure that we are 100% happy and smiling all of the time because we want you to enjoy every possible aspect of your stay. I look forward to seeing you again in the future and have a great summer.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed here the night before beginning an Alaskan land tour. The hotel was wonderful. Beautiful room and view. The service was excellent. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Alaska next year.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear traveler120483,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. Short and sweet! It's always a pleasure to provide a great stay and to see you truly enjoyed your time both here at the Hotel and in Alaska. Vancouver is a gorgeous city and I was lucky enough to spend some time there during the Winter Olympics. I hope to be back in BC to site see and spend some time on the slopes. If you ever head back to Anchorage, our staff will be waiting to provide another memorable visit.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This Hotel was a nice, older property located in downtown Anchorage, Alaska. We stayed here as a stopover on our Alaska cruisetour where we were to get our flight back to Dallas. This hotel was older, but is maintained well. The rooms were large and comfy and was located in downtown, walking distance for shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Check out the Orso down the road for dinner. Some really good food!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear philco214,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate the nice review and we're glad you were able to enjoy your time with us. The location really appeals to all kinds of travelers. Whether you're here on business and looking for a restaurant (many close), or a vacationer looking for sights, our hotel is located in the heart of Downtown Anchorage with many attractions just walking distance away. If you're ever back in Anchorage we'd love to see you again.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel had the MOST comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The room was so pleasant, plenty of lighting, a ceiling fan, easy to understand controls for the temperature. No view, but that was OK. Nice bathroom.

Dear Puffycat,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you sharing your experience while staying with us. It's always nice to see you enjoyed your stay and the bed created a very relaxing nights sleep so you could be energized during your Alaskan vacation. Next time we'll see if we can recreate that stay just with a better view. Take care!