“This is still my favorite hotel!”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Wrangell, Alaska
“This is still my favorite hotel!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The service at the Hotel Captain Cook isn't as good as it was ten years ago but times have changed and it's still better than we receive anywhere else. The rooms are clean and comfortable with great beds. It's in a great location and it's nice to have quality restaurants on site. I highly recommend the Hotel Captain Cook!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
dnkpowell,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your vote of confidence and rating us your favorite Hotel. Letting us know that we are not where we were 10 years ago gives us the opportunity to challenge ourselves as an entire Hotel to relive those days and provide our guests with the type of customer service they deserve. We always love taking care of you during your Anchorage stops and can''t wait to start climbing back up that hill!

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Finnish first
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have 5 young kids and wanted to take them for a nice New Year's Eve. So we booked a room at the Captain Cook hotel with the request of a view of the fireworks. Our plan was to swim and watch the fireworks. At check in we were informed the pool is closed because it's a holiday. And they acted like that should be an obvious assumption despite the fact that the posted it no where in the reservation or website. At check in they also told us they had no rooms of our type on the mountain view side of the hotel (fireworks view). Which was a lie because our friend got one. They then gave us bad directions to the parking ramp that cost $20 a day. When we ordered food they forgot one whole meal and sent the wrong drink, but will give them, the food was good. Then my husband went out for water (because nothing was open in the hotel) he ended up being witness to a robbery and this was all before 9 PM. And did we receive any type of compensation or apology. . . No just a yep that's how it is here in Alaska, you should know. Oh did I mention we were locals and just wanted a special night with the kids we didn't need a hotel room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank EODcowgirl
Dear EODcowgirl,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. I am sorry you didn't have a great stay on New Year's Eve. The Athletic Clubs were open from 530am - 230pm on limited New Year's Eve and New Year's Day hours. We stagger the swimming hours for Adults and Children so every guest have time to use the pool.Our Adult guests usually lap swim and do water aerobic exercises while our younger guests usually play and throw the football around and have fun. These varied times have given our guests consistency to plan their day. I look forward to making sure our team provides better directions to the parking garage located adjacent to the Hotel as well as making your dining experience one to remember for the best. We want all of guests to have a wonderful stay and I look forward to increasing our level of customer service.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night due to an airline issue. Staff was friendly, cordial and efficient.

Food from the bar was quite tasty. Breakfast was quite adequate.

I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed December 2012
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Cyberworld Toronto,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. I know you were sent here under unfortunate circumstances having problems with the flight but it was great to be able to take care of you and the rest of your company. It's always a tough position to be in as a traveler to be notified that you'll be making an extended detour especially if you were headed somewhere on vacation, for business, or returning home to see family. It was our pleasure to be here ready to serve and if you're ever back in Anchorage we'll have a room for you!

Parker, Colorado
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I spend a lot of time in Anchorage, and have stayed at many hotels there. The Captain Cook is the best of the hotels I have stayed at. Staff are friendly and effective at their jobs. The decor is excellent. Their location is perfect for me--downtown. Their responsiveness to problems is immediate. The food is great and the gym is excellent. My only problem is that they are so good that they are popular, and that makes it hard sometimes, to get a room when I need one--but they try hard for "frequent stayers."

Room Tip: Make your reservations early.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Bob R,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're always happy to have you stay with us. If you're ever trying to make a reservation and you're having trouble please feel free to email Preston Orme: Reservations Manager prestonorme@captaincook.com or myself Hunter: Guest Service Manager guestservices@captaincook.com and we will do our best to get you in. Happy New Year!

Guest Services Manager
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed December 26, 2012

There have been quite a few reviews for The Hotel Captain Cook already. I've had the opportunity to stay a number of times in the last few months. I have given a 4 out of 5 star rating. Within that, I would rate the front desk a 3, rooms 4, health club 5, restaurant choices 4, internet 3-4. It is unfortunate that I must rate the front desk a 3, but I feel that a 5 is my expectation. The front desk is the first impression of the hotel. The front desk staff must have a high customer service standard. On a number of occasions, they fell way short. I called on a holiday to find out when one of the restaurants was going to be opening. The response that I was given was to look in the information booklet on my desk in my room and call the restaurant. What the front desk personnel failed to think about was that I didn't know the name of the restaurant, and I could only describe the location of the restaurant in the hotel. When I asked what the name of the restaurant was so that I could look it up, the front desk attendant admitted they did not know the name either. So, I looked up the restaurants, called each and finally figured out which restaurant served breakfast and at what time. On 2 of 4 occasions, I failed to receive my wake up (back up) call. In truth, the front desk is a back up only for me, but 50 percent is a failure. Here is my point - nowadays, everyone in these service type jobs have important specialty titles, but in truth, they don't know very much beyond what they have to know. The hotel must set a high expectation for their staff and train them. Instead of giving them important titles, give them realistic titles such as "trainee", and then ask for guest feedback on how they are doing.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the side streets or valet entry to the hotel. The main street in Anchorage is ver...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear inluvwithAK,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and look to improve for the future. I feel that we have a well trained staff that is more than willing to go the extra mile to help all of our guests with any questions or needs they might have. I will be following up with our staff to make sure we are on the up and up regarding all hotel details. We can never know too much about our property and being even more informed will help us assist our guests better. Thank you for letting us know what needs improvement and we look to do so.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed 1 night . at the Captain Cook as part of a Princess cruise from Vancouver. I would not want to stay longer! Modelled along the lines of a Soviet office block, the place had no warmth about it even in the middle of summer. Everything was dingy and brown, from the uninviting reception to the bathroom. The very large L shaped lobby accessed by heavy manually operated doors (one sticking badly and at one time a doorman watching someone else leave, totally ignored us as we heaved open the door with difficulty) led through an arcade of gift shops to reception where high desk front panels made it seem like business was done over a 4 foot fence keeping you at bay. The staff were as glum as the building. Once in our room the heat was intolerable and street noise was terrible. we were given no option to move rooms but a noisy tower fan was provided after complaint to cool the summer heat. The view of the carpark across the street, topped off the experience!. There were several other minor annoyances that I now forget but this was not a good stay when compared to other hotels used by cruise lines.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the harbour
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Priestited,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I believe that we have a beautiful property filled with class and history and also a staff that is willing to help all of our guests. I wish we could have done a better job during your stay. We will self evaluate and fix our errors. I hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed for our 20 year anniversary in December 2012 and it was fabulous. The hotel decorations were delightful, especially the gingerbread town display. The restaurants all served spectacular entrees and appetizers and have very friendly staff members. Our check in/out was speedy and extremely welcoming and thankful to include our encounters with the doorman/ concierge. I will always remember my 20 year Wedding Anniversary at "The Hotel Captain Cook"

• Stayed December 2012
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear Tracibill,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're very pleased that you had such a great stay. We are honored that you spent your 20 year Anniversary here with us. What a wonderful milestone. We hope to see you again in the future during your continued amazing marriage. Congratulations and Happy Holidays from all of us here.