“The front desk staff gets the lowest of individual ratings”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed December 26, 2012

There have been quite a few reviews for The Hotel Captain Cook already. I've had the opportunity to stay a number of times in the last few months. I have given a 4 out of 5 star rating. Within that, I would rate the front desk a 3, rooms 4, health club 5, restaurant choices 4, internet 3-4. It is unfortunate that I must rate the front desk a 3, but I feel that a 5 is my expectation. The front desk is the first impression of the hotel. The front desk staff must have a high customer service standard. On a number of occasions, they fell way short. I called on a holiday to find out when one of the restaurants was going to be opening. The response that I was given was to look in the information booklet on my desk in my room and call the restaurant. What the front desk personnel failed to think about was that I didn't know the name of the restaurant, and I could only describe the location of the restaurant in the hotel. When I asked what the name of the restaurant was so that I could look it up, the front desk attendant admitted they did not know the name either. So, I looked up the restaurants, called each and finally figured out which restaurant served breakfast and at what time. On 2 of 4 occasions, I failed to receive my wake up (back up) call. In truth, the front desk is a back up only for me, but 50 percent is a failure. Here is my point - nowadays, everyone in these service type jobs have important specialty titles, but in truth, they don't know very much beyond what they have to know. The hotel must set a high expectation for their staff and train them. Instead of giving them important titles, give them realistic titles such as "trainee", and then ask for guest feedback on how they are doing.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the side streets or valet entry to the hotel. The main street in Anchorage is ver...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear inluvwithAK,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and look to improve for the future. I feel that we have a well trained staff that is more than willing to go the extra mile to help all of our guests with any questions or needs they might have. I will be following up with our staff to make sure we are on the up and up regarding all hotel details. We can never know too much about our property and being even more informed will help us assist our guests better. Thank you for letting us know what needs improvement and we look to do so.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed 1 night . at the Captain Cook as part of a Princess cruise from Vancouver. I would not want to stay longer! Modelled along the lines of a Soviet office block, the place had no warmth about it even in the middle of summer. Everything was dingy and brown, from the uninviting reception to the bathroom. The very large L shaped lobby accessed by heavy manually operated doors (one sticking badly and at one time a doorman watching someone else leave, totally ignored us as we heaved open the door with difficulty) led through an arcade of gift shops to reception where high desk front panels made it seem like business was done over a 4 foot fence keeping you at bay. The staff were as glum as the building. Once in our room the heat was intolerable and street noise was terrible. we were given no option to move rooms but a noisy tower fan was provided after complaint to cool the summer heat. The view of the carpark across the street, topped off the experience!. There were several other minor annoyances that I now forget but this was not a good stay when compared to other hotels used by cruise lines.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the harbour
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Priestited,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I believe that we have a beautiful property filled with class and history and also a staff that is willing to help all of our guests. I wish we could have done a better job during your stay. We will self evaluate and fix our errors. I hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed for our 20 year anniversary in December 2012 and it was fabulous. The hotel decorations were delightful, especially the gingerbread town display. The restaurants all served spectacular entrees and appetizers and have very friendly staff members. Our check in/out was speedy and extremely welcoming and thankful to include our encounters with the doorman/ concierge. I will always remember my 20 year Wedding Anniversary at "The Hotel Captain Cook"

• Stayed: December 2012
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear Tracibill,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're very pleased that you had such a great stay. We are honored that you spent your 20 year Anniversary here with us. What a wonderful milestone. We hope to see you again in the future during your continued amazing marriage. Congratulations and Happy Holidays from all of us here.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

It was our first time in Anchorage and we picked this hotel based on reviews and price. The staff and food were wonderful. During breakfast one of the staff made our infant some sliced bananas (not a menu item) after she noticed he was not interested in his eggs. The bell hop and reservation staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was great too. Near the 5th Ave Mall and several great eating locations.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PJitsme
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear PJitsme,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see that you had such a great time while visiting Anchorage. It's always nice to see the staff was
aware of your dining challenges and went above the norm to provide a special eating experience for you family.We look forward to seeing you again and Happy Holidays!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Nothing bad, nothing exceptional. Good location in downtown Anchorage. Coffee shop service was exceptionally slow; my medium steak was extremely rare. I would not recommend breakfast there. Go to Snow City a block away, better breakfast, less cost. Room was good size, comforable with usual small bathroom - dark in the shower.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear aspen5,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We will definitely look to build on your feedback and improve the areas that warranted the "just ok". We are looking to always provide great service and comfort and you have given us some areas to correct. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel is very good in many ways. The rooms are very clean bright and airy. The staff are just wonderful and food quality is delicious. Paul in the bar is a regular joker!

It was very cold on my visit but the warmth of the people in Anchorage was really spectacular.

Thanks so much!

Room Tip: If it is real windy get a lower floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear paddyboyfoley,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see that you enjoyed you time spent here even though it has been absolutely freezing lately. This is an unusually cold year. Normally its snowing and warmer but this year has been clear and cold. I hope to see more snow in the future so we can all get out and hit the slopes. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a great place to spent a romantic weekend. The Jr. Suites are well worth it. The Crow's Nest is very nice. Ask for the southeast table for a beautiful view of Anchorage with the mountains in the background.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Brett H,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We are all pleased to see that you enjoyed you stay and dining experience in the Crow's Nest. You must have been sitting at table 68. A romantic corner table with a gorgeous view of downtown Anchorage. Well stay warm and we hope to see you again!

Sincerely